Can someone tell me a litlle bit about ZooTV's history?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolfwill23

War Child
My question is, how did this tour start out? I was under the impression that it started in the arenas, but somehow I can't image the spectacle that is ZooTV trapped indoors. Anyone have the 411 on this?

It started out in Lakeland Florida on march 1st, 1992. It started out as a "scaled down" performance of what was to come, which was how most of us remember it. I wasn't able to see that tour, but I have the Sydney video which Blew my mind for at least the first 100 times I watched it.

The band just started playing and they ripped the roof off the joint. That's how they fit the TVs and Trabants inside.

------------------
Earth people, New York to California.
Earth people, I was born on Jupiter.

Read the amazing book "U2 At the End of the World" by Bill Flanagan for a really good behind-the-scenes look at that whole era.
smile.gif

LOL Candyfloss
smile.gif

And Sula~ has a point, thats where I got the info, plenty more there if I would have really dug. Anyone who hasn't read it should know it is a MUST_HAVE for any U2 fan! I cannot express that enough!

------------------
Z69Edge@aol.com <<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>

Every dog has it's day

Imagine the Zoo TV stage you saw in the stadium shows, only smaller, and there is how they got it in arenas.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

http://www.musicbooksplus.com/books/ms164.htm

This isn't the best link, but it gives a brief description of Pimm Jal de la Parra's U2 Live: a concert documentary. There is a lot of talk about other U2 books, but EVERY U2 fan should have this one. My copy is about 5 years old, but it gives an account of almost every U2 show since the beginning of their career. I think there is a reprint for the Popmart shows too. The account of the February 29, 1992 Lakeland show is outstanding. I would highly recommend this book to any U2 fan.

I went to one Zoo TV Arena show and 2 Outside Broadcast shows, and the difference was astonishing. Yes, the arena show was scaled in production, but it was still impressive. TV monitor set up all over the stage, and a strange vibe especially after having not seen U2 live in 5 years.

The Outside Broadcast however, was one of the most compelling shows I've ever seen. The stadiums were the perfect stage for all the gadgets. I was blown away by both shows I saw. Truly a magical tour.

The Elevation shows didn't match the spectacle, but then again Zoo TV could not match the emotion of Elevation.

Originally posted by Reggie Thee Dog:

The Elevation shows didn't match the spectacle, but then again Zoo TV could not match the emotion of Elevation.

Wonderfully put, from one dog to another
wink.gif

The first 2 elevation shows the emotion seemed to be the band so happy to be back and playing, thankful for the union between band and the followers and the love felt between.

The last 2 I saw were after 9-11, and the whole thing was "intensified"

Back
Top Bottom