Can someone please.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How the hell did you bunch up Trip and LIB? :laugh:

You'll find more people saying they don't like Trip than LIB or WGR! But it's all opinion! Somebody else may like Trip much more than LIB or WGR! Doesn't mean they're out of their mind or not a good fan! :shrug:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Can someone please.....

twochordcool said:

WELL?!

And I just noticed that you are from Ohio - tell me you are doing your share to make that state a little more blue?!

Oh sweetie, I'm about as blue as one can get. I'm a fucking fall off the left side of the chart liberal, thank you very much.

But as hard as I try to circumvent the rules, I only get one vote. :shrug:

(as for the WELL?! I'm working on finding the damned tape and giving it a listen. And I make no apologies for disliking any song or songs. :tongue: )

Zootlesque said:

This is what you don't get!!! It's your opinion that all U2 fans must like certain tracks that are in your mind, perfect! All people don't feel that way. Why can't you accept that?

:sigh:

Don't even bother trying to speak logically with twochordcool, Zooters. It's like trying to force a very small donkey to carry a very fat man up a very steep hill.

twochordcool said:

Alright, let's put this on the majority then:

Who else thinks that "Trip Through Your Wires", "Love is Blindness" or "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" are ordinary, dull, or just straight-up bad songs?

:rolleyes:

I guarantee we'll have less than 3 people come forward with a "yea" if everyone is being honest.

Well.... the only one I've heard (or recall hearing) I don't really like. Does that count? :wink:

GibsonGirl said:

Don't even bother trying to speak logically with twochordcool, Zooters. It's like trying to force a very small donkey to carry a very fat man up a very steep hill.

Now THAT is too funny! :lmao:

WHOAMG guyZ!1 Too many people drinking that Hatorade in here. :huh:

U2 is the bestest band evar, and all their albums are the greatzors. and thats teh actual and teh factual.

close topiX

No but seriously what's the deal with internet forums. Does everyone feel the need to state their opinion on EVERYTHING. It's always so negative around here. Can't we have a good time? And if arguing is your idea of a good time, you need to grow up. Too many people getting riled up every thread I go into. You guys need to lighten up a bit, it's just music. :(

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Can someone please.....

twochordcool said:

Overwrought?

I think that is what makes music and art successful - if it DOES makes you FEEL something.

Me personally, I usually begin with Running To Stand Still because I hear the first 3 songs on the radio quite a lot, and to me, they can get played out!

But that doesn't make them bad songs at all!

Personally, I think the album goes uphill after those first 3 songs - I think the best songs on that CD are the not-so-obvious songs that are never on the radio!

What are you faves?

Which can you do without?!

Why I don't often like songs I consider overwrought is that so often the singer is emoting so much that I can't possible get that into it...it's kind of like walking in on someone masturbating -- you just want to leave and let him have his moment. Whereas if it's done more subtly it's like being seduced. I'd much rather be seduced than walk in on a guy jacking off. :shrug:

Anyway... on to JT songs I like and don't really like. It's an excellent album. I don't really think there are any completely shit songs on here and if someone else loves every song...well, I certainly understand that. But there are songs I would rather skip now. So what I'm gonna do is list the songs I would burn to a disc for steady play.

1) Where the Streets Have No Name -- nearly didn't make the cut. I like the song, but think I would get really tired of it if I played it too often. Then again, being the first song it would be very easy to skip if I did get tired of it, so I would keep it.

2) With or Without You -- I actually love this song. It has been overplayed, but since I haven't listened to the radio except on rare occasions in a decade or so, I don't really get the over saturation. It is a bit overwrought, but the kind of creepy, obsessive nature of the song (you have to admit someone who says "I can't live with or without you" is pretty creepy and obsessive) saves it and gives it that delightfully chilling quality.

3) Running To Stand Still -- I like the quiet desperation of this one. And how it builds up -- swirling and pulsing only to die off at the end. Nice. This one's a keeper.

4) Red Hill Mining Town -- A bit overblown, but despite that I've always like this song. It reminds me a bit of Bullet the Blue Sky, but works better for me. Probably that it is less political and more personal.

5) In God's Country -- A great song for driving. Very visual -- that really makes the song for me.

6) One Tree Hill -- I can feel the exquisite beauty and yet the intense anguish. I like that juxtaposition of beauty and pain... of life and death -- and the ultimate sense of peace. At least that's what I feel in listening to it.

7) Exit -- this one kind of has a psychedelic feel to it, it's pretty damned trippy. I love that. The build up to the wall of noise is great (as is the wall of noise itself), and that incessant, kind of irritating noise slithering along underneath -- I like that a lot. The vocals are used more as another instrument than as a stand alone feature...the song come across to me more as an instrumental. I hear the lyrics, but they don't really seem to have much meaning outside giving the song more texture.

8) Mothers of the Disappeared -- Not the best song they've ever done, but a good end song. Kind of brings you down and eases you out. This one I could actually take or leave depending on my mood.

And the songs that wouldn't make the cut for me are: Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For; Bullet the Blue Sky; and Trip Through Your Wires. Where the Streets Have No Name and Mothers of the Disappeared are more can take or leave them songs for me.

Last edited:
catlhere said:

No but seriously what's the deal with internet forums. Does everyone feel the need to state their opinion on EVERYTHING.

ummm....that's what internet forums are for. :shrug:

Did you not read the description of this particular forum? It is:

This is the general discussion area, primarily to be used for reactions and thoughts about U2.

So, yeah, discussion will take place.

twochordcool said:

Alright, let's put this on the majority then:

Who else thinks that "Trip Through Your Wires", "Love is Blindness" or "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" are ordinary, dull, or just straight-up bad songs?

:rolleyes:

I guarantee we'll have less than 3 people come forward with a "yea" if everyone is being honest.

Well I certainly can't stand WGRYWH and neither can U2. They hated the song but gave into record company pressure to release it as it was 'radio friendly'. So I guess that gives you at least 5 people. :wink:

Re: Re: Re: Can someone please.....

GibsonGirl said:

See, I'm not even so sure about that. There may be some albums from the 80s that could be considered eons better than ATYCLB and HTDAAB, but there are quite a few that can't. I know this is just based on personal taste, but I'd take HTDAAB over Boy, October, and Rattle & Hum any day. Maybe even over certain JT songs (I seem to be one of the few people who find a lot of the JT material to be rather bland.) Now of course, War, UF, and certain aspects of JT piss all over HTDAAB and ATYCLB. ATYCLB in particular. But I still wouldn't say that the 80s were tremendously stronger than the 00s. I feel that they're only marginally better.

You are not alone at all.

I've stated many times how I'm not a huge JT fan. The songs all sound the same and the few that do stand out are terrible on the album! There are certain JT songs I adore (Streets, One Tree Hill and Exit) but others that have kind of lost their passion over time and have become dated. That said, JT is a better album than the '00's material, while the '00's material is clearly a better collection of songs. For my $$, barring UF, I would pick HTDAAB over the rest of the 80's material.

But these polls are a bit silly. It's not like I'm going to look at the results and change my mind if an 80's album crushes ATYCLB.

Plus, I know these days, it's really popular to bash ATYCLB and HTDAAB. I'm not sure why - but it seems fans on this site just love to trash these albums. Therefore, they'd probably vote for an album of dog scratching noises over U2's '00 work. If U2 release an album in 2010, I'm sure these same fans would then adore ATYCLB and HTDAAB while trasing the music from the 10's. :lol:

Zootlesque said:
How the hell did you bunch up Trip and LIB? :laugh:

You'll find more people saying they don't like Trip than LIB or WGR! But it's all opinion! Somebody else may like Trip much more than LIB or WGR! Doesn't mean they're out of their mind or not a good fan! :shrug:

Actually, I can't stand "Trip" - worst U2 song ever. But I don't mind WGR at all. I'm not fond of the funky beginning and prefer the radio-friendly single release of it, but the song is fine. And I think LIB is fantastic. No, the worst song on AB is the second worst U2 song ever: "Trying to Throw Your Arms around the World". :yuck: Hate it!

That miscue combined with the "baby, baby, baby... baby, baby, baby... oh, baby, baby, baby... light my way. Come on now, baby, baby, baby... baby, baby, baby..." etc. of "Ultraviolet" are U2's only mistakes on AB. And even with the lyrical flop of UV, it has one majestic line ("like an opera in my head") and contains what is arguably Bono's most passionate singing on the album. But I really feel that song would have been a fantastic b-side.

However, what makes AB work so well is that it's both a fantastic collection of songs and a beautiful album. HTDAAB isn't quite up to that "beautiful album" category, so IMO, it loses to AB. AB features U2 at their most diversified. To have a song like "One" follow "Even Better Than..." proves how "torn" U2 were then - and it works! U2 almost got that back with HTDAAB, having songs like "Sometimes..." coupled with "Vertigo" or a song like "Love & Peace" on an album that has "Yahweh", but when one listens to HTDAAB as a whole, it falls just a bit short.

Hence despite my complaints about a few U2 songs on AB, overall I rate AB as my first or second favorite album, along with UF. HTDAAB is third.

No poll will change my mind. ;)

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Can someone please.....

indra said:
Oh sweetie, I'm about as blue as one can get. I'm a fucking fall off the left side of the chart liberal, thank you very much.

But as hard as I try to circumvent the rules, I only get one vote. :shrug:

(as for the WELL?! I'm working on finding the damned tape and giving it a listen. And I make no apologies for disliking any song or songs. :tongue: )

Are you supporting Paul Hackett?

Howz he going to do there in 06?

:)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Can someone please.....

indra said:
And the songs that wouldn't make the cut for me are: Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For; Bullet the Blue Sky; and Trip Through Your Wires. Where the Streets Have No Name and Mothers of the Disappeared are more can take or leave them songs for me.

See, I LOVE "Trip Through Your Wire" - it's very much like an Irish band that gets displaced to the deep south - like say Mississippi - on a porch! JUST FUCKING JAMMING - I LOVE that harmonica and I love the way Bono screams in that song as if to get the band and the fans even more into it!!!

TREMENDOUS SONG!!

"Mothers of the Disappeared" is very, very pretty and I LOVE it - but I can see how people, that always need to get bashed over the head with music (and DO NOT appreciate peace and quiet and subtlety), may not like it.

I love "WTSHNN" - it reminds me of how pumped up Bono gets himself - and the crowd - when they play this in concert - loads of emotion - that "getting caught jacking off and he doesn't care" thing that you were talking about - I prefer to call those "overwrought" songs "emotional" and "wearing your heart on your sleeve".

:)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Can someone please.....

twochordcool said:

"Mothers of the Disappeared" is very, very pretty and I LOVE it - but I can see how people, that always need to get bashed over the head with music (and DO NOT appreciate peace and quiet and subtlety), may not like it.

See that's not my problem with Mothers of the Disappeared. I like quiet, subtle songs -- many of my very favourite songs are not what most people find immediately (or ever, for that matter) accessible. My ambivalence towards the song isn't it's lack of balls to the wall rocking out, as that often doesn't do much for me anyway, but that the song just isn't as good as other songs of theirs which fill a similar spot for me.

For instance, Running to Stand Still and Mothers of the Disappeared put me in a similar emotional spot, but Running is just a much better song overall. So when I listen to JT (I almost always listen to a whole album -- I don't much care to do random play) I hear Mothers just a few songs after Running and it doesn't do much for me.

That's why it is a take it or leave it song for me. :shrug:

Last edited:
roy said:

Well I certainly can't stand WGRYWH and neither can U2. They hated the song but gave into record company pressure to release it as it was 'radio friendly'. So I guess that gives you at least 5 people. :wink:

See, the fact that U2 played Who's Gonna Ride.... a good amount on this tour makes me pretty sure they DON'T hate it. It wasn't a huge hit, or less of one than a lot of songs that never saw the light of day. It's also not a Bad-like fan favorite. There was no pressure on them to play it, the only reason they chose to seems to be that they wanted to. Maybe they didn't like the album version but feel that it worked great live, or maybe they rediscovered it, who knows.

Back
Top Bottom