Can someone explain the humor in this comic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sicy

Sizzlin' Sicilian
Staff member
My dad cut this out of the paper for me but I dont get it.

Maybe its just me. :scratch:

334%3A%3B3%3A323232%7Ffp67%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3B94%3D65%3A%3Dxroqdf%3E23232%3C596%3A939ot1lsi

I guess cuz Bono is rich? :shrug:

It's saying that some Americans don't have enough money to pay for their own tax debts, let alone debts of other countries. And then there's Bono, asking Americans for money, and not giving a shite that they have their own debts to attend to.

(That's my interpretation of it anyway. I think it's a pretty anti-Bono comic. Not funny, mostly editorial.)

Last edited:
I adore comics. I even draw my own comic strip (published in my company's newsletter). However, I hate "Mallard Fillmore." Usually, the topics are political and they are always wrong - regardless of the party. He'll slam both sides, but using poorly researched facts. I think I've chuckled twice out of the times I've read those strips - most are confusing and poorly presented, not to mention the fact that I don't like the art work.

Sicy, I'm sure your father cut the strip for you because it had Bono in it, but the joke itself is a bit lame - even if you don't agree with Bono's views.

There are probably some people in FYM that like Mallard Fillmore, though.

Ask them. They'll tell you all about it in greater length than you ever wanted to read.

as long as I have to pay taxes I can be asured that there are more people who have less than me than people who have more than me

so besides not thinking this comic is particularly funny I can't even agree with it either

Har har. :rolleyes:

Ummm, yeah, Bono doesn't care some Americans can't even pay their own taxes ... though i don't see what the average American (or, i should say, the poor American) has anything to do with Drop the debt plans of Bono? (he's talking with governments of the richest countries about it, right? not like he's asking common people to give money - not that it would hurt anyway)

Last edited:
People who run their own businesses have to pay income tax every quarter on their income. It isn't deducted each pay period, like those who are employed by others. So every 3 months, you have to have set aside enough money from your business to pay your income tax. What the cartoon is implying is that Bono cares more about poor people in foreign countries who don't work for a living than he does about hard working people who own their own businesses. The way I see it, people who own their own businesses made that choice. For the most part, the poor in Africa that Bono is concerned with usually didn't even have that choice to make in the first place.

money owed by other countries to the United States is federal money (taxpayers money) and if some non-American citizen was telling you that your tax money that was supposed to be funneled back to you was supposed to be forgotten about maybe you would understand more. Bono's intentions are beautiful and pure but sometimes could be construed as out of line, if you don't understand then take your fly shades off for 2 seconds and look at it. Of course I agree with Mr. Hewson, but I could see how some ignorant ass writing a political satirical comic would try and imply the obvious. But not everything is sooo obvious is it?

Last edited:
Hmm Bulow's analogy makes sense.

Thanks for all of your inputs!

Yeah see, it's like Bono wants to help people who are starving. And those poor americans with two tvs and a car and a house and their own business will have to, like, give up money for that!

Shocking!

HE'S TRYING TO HELP PEOPLE! QUICK SOMEONE STOP HIM!!!

More poorly research not funny drivel. I second the vote for the Boondocks...

Back
Top Bottom