Can anyone take U2 seriously anymore? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2002, 03:16 PM   #21
POP for GIRLS

Local Time: 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by david
You should have asked this question during the POP era when U2 were dressing like The Village People in videos and emerging from 40 foot lemons and standing in front of huge video screens that had McDonald golden arches above them.
LMAO~! Thank you for saying that. It's the truth, and I didn't have to say it and get flamed

Old 09-22-2002, 03:17 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:18 PM
to be honest , the last couple of posts I have read here have made me feel like

but that's not going to achieve anything, is it?

What's up ccd? You feel ATYCLB isn't a good U2 album?It is of such a poor standard that people no longer "take U2 seriously" Fair enough, your opinion.

You feel Bono's "mumbo jumbo" ( is that what they speak in Africa when their throats are coated with yellow gunk and they can't form words any more?) is making U2 less palatable to Joe Blow public? Personally I am glad Bono is the kind of person who launchs into "personal crusades" (funny how he's the only one who cares about this. Actually I think he is the spokesperson, Larry started a "personal crusade" too but Bono is just so good at interviews. And this particular "cruscade" has some urgency about it, so they sent in the best imho)
Now, the concept of age depleting creativity and whether bands such as The Rolling Stones should be banned. eww old people playing guitars and dancing ewwwwww.
I have been saying it for years and I'll say it agin....U2 should retire from performance and come and live next door to me. We could sit in our rocking chairs and watch the sun go down and talk about all the creative young beautiful people.
Do U2 want to be taken seriously?
Like Liberace....they're crying all the way to the bank...half their luck and 99.99999% serious creative talent.

crashedcardriver ....they're not a bad little 4 piece band really.

Old 09-22-2002, 03:26 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by Bonofire
I really do not understand what you're talking about at all! ATYCLB was nothing like Britney Spears! It had very deep meanings in most of its songs. The songs took on even more chilling meaning after 9/11! There was some very deep and serious stuff on ATYCLB and if you missed it, I'm sorry!

Kite
Peace on Earth
WILATW
Stuck
Grace
New York
Walk On

Have you even listened to these songs or tried to understand their meaning? Talk about some heavy lyrics! Bono was going through some tough emotional times, his dad was sick, friends were dying, he turned 40, he was upset about some things in the world, involved in Jubileee 2000, and I think all those things showed on this record. The only song I can see that was even mildly made to compete in the pop music world was Elevation. Beatiful Day was marketable but it was just a great song all the way around. Now we have Electrical Storm, and I read a quote by Bono that it had meaning concerning 9/11 and the world too. This guy is doing important stuff and he's the most serious and significant songwriter around today. We are lucky to have him!
Exactly (just curious-who were these friends of his that were dying? I hadn't heard of this...how sad).

U2 shouldn't "call it a day" yet. Heavens, no. They've still got some stuff left in them. And they're still serious about things as well-the "Oprah" show on Friday certainly proved Bono's still serious about things, for example.

So to the person who started this topic, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, and if you didn't care for ATYCLB, fine.

But I agree with Bonofire on this one. Cass made a great point, too.

Angela
Old 09-22-2002, 04:01 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by david
You should have asked this question during the POP era when U2 were dressing like The Village People in videos and emerging from 40 foot lemons and standing in front of huge video screens that had McDonald golden arches above them.

oh my god that was too funny lol...even though i loved the popmart tour, i think i can almost understand why people would ask that question whether u2 would be taken seriously or not during the popmart tour. The Discotheque video is a good example. I think it was all in fun though.
Old 09-22-2002, 04:30 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: Re: Re: Can anyone take U2 seriously anymore?

Quote:
Originally posted by nellie

I don't think you should diss anyone's intelligence because they don't "get" ATYCLB. Thats just wrong. Some people don't like it...some people love it. It's not based on whether they are intelligent or not.
I really don't understand how a person's not like an album always goes back to their "intelligence," or lack thereof. That makes no sense!

I can't stand to listen to Britney Spears...Does that mean that her fans have some sort of deeper intellect that helps them "understand" her music, where I never could? Please...
Old 09-22-2002, 04:32 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by nellie

oh my god that was too funny lol...even though i loved the popmart tour, i think i can almost understand why people would ask that question whether u2 would be taken seriously or not during the popmart tour. The Discotheque video is a good example. I think it was all in fun though.
david's post made me laugh my ass off! I could understand why people would've asked that question back then, even though I love Pop!
Old 09-23-2002, 10:14 AM   #27
Refugee

Local Time: 10:18 AM
I know people that went off U2 when

A) The Unforgettable Fire was released

B)The Joshua Tree was released

C) Achtung Baby was released

Three albums in U2's career that every hardcore fan will have in their collection, and also a milestone in the career of U2 themselves! U2 could make the most definitive and classic sounding album of U2 ever and you would still get people not liking it or moaning about it! We are a massive fanbase from all walks of life, across many borders, U2 cannot please everyone! With every new release they lose some fans, they gain some fans, lets enjoy them while they are here now, not when they are gone.

Fuck the past, kiss the future.
Old 09-23-2002, 10:17 AM   #28
The Fly

Normal

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

Exactly (just curious-who were these friends of his that were dying? I hadn't heard of this...how sad).

He wrote Stuck about INXS singer Michael Hutchense who died in 1997. His good friend Joey Ramone was dying of cancer during the Elevation tour, and actually passed away while listening to IALW, just as soon as the song was over according to Ramone's family. Bono often dedicated the song to Joey. A dutch painter friend of his also died during the tour, I forget his name. Then of course there was the illness and death of Bono's own father
Old 09-23-2002, 12:43 PM   #29
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

sometimes i wonder if U2 has ever been taken seriously. sure, they are still loved and respected by critics and fans, but that doesn't mean you are taken seriously. perhaps in the early days, in the 80's U2 were, but since achtung baby, i doubt they have been. in the 90's and beyond, they've seemed to loosen up and poke fun at themselves. it doesn't mean they're not as good as they were before, just different.

to me this is just another atyclb debate. which means pop will be mentioned, as whenever an album is being debated (by any artist), their previous work is usually mentioned. (think about how many times you've seen an october thread and someone mentions boy!) but album debates don't seem to work as people tend to get divided. there's one side, the other side, and the few who are on the fence because they like both albums. i don't see the point in it really. i'd rather look at the positive than the negative, and say what i love about an album instead of what i hate about it.
Old 09-23-2002, 04:43 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
sometimes i wonder if U2 has ever been taken seriously. sure, they are still loved and respected by critics and fans, but that doesn't mean you are taken seriously. perhaps in the early days, in the 80's U2 were, but since achtung baby, i doubt they have been. in the 90's and beyond, they've seemed to loosen up and poke fun at themselves. it doesn't mean they're not as good as they were before, just different.

to me this is just another atyclb debate. which means pop will be mentioned, as whenever an album is being debated (by any artist), their previous work is usually mentioned. (think about how many times you've seen an october thread and someone mentions boy!) but album debates don't seem to work as people tend to get divided. there's one side, the other side, and the few who are on the fence because they like both albums. i don't see the point in it really. i'd rather look at the positive than the negative, and say what i love about an album instead of what i hate about it.
Well said!
Old 09-24-2002, 07:43 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Of course, they are taken very seriously. Bono is taken seriously too with his humanitarian work. How could you even ask?
Old 09-25-2002, 12:09 AM   #32
Acrobat

Re: eat this

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkfloyd
i never liked Atyclb , too much mild pro-Bono ! songs dammit !
I hope , U2 will be back , and yes , i'm also tired of bono countless booring speeches about 0thing .
In the future, try not to drink so much before posting.
Old 10-13-2002, 05:50 PM   #33
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

Absolutely. And those of us who are on the fence <waves with one hand while holding on with the other> thank you. I'm often baffled by the constant catty debate over which album is 'better' or 'best'. It's so redolent of snotty academics trying to feed you 'The Canon of English Literature' that it makes me want to go hide in a cave with ALL the U2 albums and my collection of Stephen King novels until I'm allowed to like what I like without people giving me looks of pity and superiority.

On the whole 'being taken seriously' issue, I think the day they stopped being able to poke fun at themselves is the day I'd stop believing in U2 - because, to me, that's when the spark dies. When you've got time to posture and moan about your A-R-T, then you're not spending enough time making it.

And that's my tuppence.
Old 10-13-2002, 06:01 PM   #34
The Fly

I don't understand. U2 can be taken more seriously than any band in the world. Bono's serious work with the impoverished nations makes him an even more serious, and important figure.
Old 10-13-2002, 06:23 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:18 AM
It is true.

Bono could wear a chicken outfit, with an exposed ass, while sining "It's raining men"...........................
and I'd still take him seriously.
Old 10-13-2002, 08:07 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: It is true.

Quote:
Originally posted by *BOOMCHAA!*
Bono could wear a chicken outfit, with an exposed ass, while sining "It's raining men"...........................
Now there's an image that's going to stay in my head for awhile!!!
Old 10-13-2002, 11:28 PM   #37
War Child

Local Time: 06:18 AM
Excellent! More tickets for me at the next tour.

buh-bye.
Old 10-14-2002, 09:31 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Re: It is true.

Quote:
Originally posted by *BOOMCHAA!*

Okay...that's a really interesting mental image...*snickers, starts cracking up again*

Um, sengira, well said, by the way.

*Walks off still laughing at mental image*

Angela
Old 10-14-2002, 09:45 PM   #39
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by sengira

Absolutely. And those of us who are on the fence <waves with one hand while holding on with the other> thank you. I'm often baffled by the constant catty debate over which album is 'better' or 'best'. It's so redolent of snotty academics trying to feed you 'The Canon of English Literature' that it makes me want to go hide in a cave with ALL the U2 albums and my collection of Stephen King novels until I'm allowed to like what I like without people giving me looks of pity and superiority.

On the whole 'being taken seriously' issue, I think the day they stopped being able to poke fun at themselves is the day I'd stop believing in U2 - because, to me, that's when the spark dies. When you've got time to posture and moan about your A-R-T, then you're not spending enough time making it.

And that's my tuppence.
Beautiful f**ckin' post sengira I'm on the fence and proud of it.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:38 PM   #40
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Awesome post sengira. Beautifully captured a lot of the things I was thinking but lacked the eloquence to say properly .

And I never thought this day would come, but....and yes I'm shocked by this - I agree with Gypsy about U2 being taken much seriously now than they were doing Popmart. But I stll think Pop rocks, and so does ATYCLB.

So !