Can anyone sing...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sting

The Fly
...Every word in "Numb" all the way through in the right order without looking at the lyrics? It seems impossible... does Edge do it live?

I've tried...and failed miserably. I've memorized a lot of the lyrics, but unless you're the Edge, the timing irregularites throw you off all the time...

I shall never give up though!

(numb was a staple of the zooropa tour set lists, so apparently edge must have done it live. if anyone has a link to a live video of him performing it i'd love to see it)

I think I could back in the 90's. Now? Forget it.

Oh, hey, this reminds me of a question I have about the "New Mix". There is a new Edge vocal line right when the Bono/Larry part comes in. I can't tell what it is saying. The end of it goes "it's not that bad just try and unwind"

Does anyone know what the rest of that line says?

Last edited:
yeah, edge does it live.
the first time he memorized it was for the 1993 Video Music Awards. he was the only one who could make it to the awards, so he sang it [with Bono and Larry accompanying on TV screens]. he was wearing the Lemon army suit! =)
in Bill Flanagan's book "u2 at the end of the world", there's a chapter where it tells about how the Edge had to memorize all the lyrics while on the plane fyling from Dublin to LA to perform for the Video Music Awards ;]

you can watch it here
http://u2achtung.com/02/multimedia/
it's the seventh one down on the blue list.

did edge memorize it for the VMAs? he kept looking down & i could never tell if it was acting the character or looking down at a teleprompter. :hmm:

Utoo said:
did edge memorize it for the VMAs? he kept looking down & i could never tell if it was acting the character or looking down at a teleprompter. :hmm:

He definitely tried to memorise it. As I haven't seen the performance in ages, I don't know if he had a teleprompter or not.

I'm pretty sure he nailed it on ZooTV, though. They did it over 30 times so I'd expect the lines would get stuck in his head eventually!

bono_212 said:
Poor edge....he looked so alone and small up there ;)
But we U2 fans know that he's LARGER THAN LIFE :rockon:

I could try and memorize it. It would take a while though. and in the end, would I really WANT to know every lyric to "Numb" That would be a little too fanatic for me. :uhoh:

"Don't make a will" is right after that, correct? :D

This is a good song for that "sing with me" thread. It has so many short lines for people to post. Hooray!

:shh: It's don't piss in the drain. :wink:

I've also tried to memorize it but I don't think it's going to happen.

Edit: VertigoGal, great minds! ;)

It's NOT don't piss onthe train?!!

:gasp:

well now I'm crushed....usually I never hear a lyric right and I coulda swore I looked that one up and foud out I heard it right the first time, but I guess not...

Must remember don't piss in the drain

I can do most of it :lol:

I've just been liking the New Mix a LOT. I was halfway through it in my car, got to my destination, came back out to my car an hour or two later, and when I turned on the car...

:ohmy: DAMN, it sounded good.

:faint:

I am also a fan of the New Mix... all the extra noise and loudness works with the song so much. The entire song is about slogans and media being shot and thrown at us. shoved down our throats. Overexposure and Overproduction. Its amazing.

I'm pretty sure I get it right until Bono and Larry come in, and then I forget what I'm doing and just sing my version of what Bono's saying, and the occasional 'I feel numb.'

Back
Top Bottom