Calling all Irish fans: some awful news from The Irish People

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

follower

Refugee
confused.gif
at elevatedmole post...

I would like to hear from Cat Dubh or lazyboy or mad1...or any Irish interferencer, please?

Did some quick check-ups over the internet and found this:

The Irish People - The Voice of Irish Republicanism in America

So it's not an Irish newspaper but an american newspaper which mainly focus on Northern Ireland in a Irish-republican way....

------------------
Vorsprung durch Technik

[This message has been edited by Vorsprung (edited 03-05-2002).]

I dunno. This doesn't seem like its new news or very legit. Aaron had the fatwa announced against him last year so that's nothing new.

Thank you Vorsprung, I'm at work now and I don't have time to research over the net, I really thought it was some vehicle from Ireland. So maybe I should ask the American fans instead...

Btw, have anyone here heard of this Aaron Cohen they mention in the article? I thought the president of Jubilee 2000, now Drop the Debt, were Jamie Drumond (spelling?)...

I received this article today thru email, and it got me scared, really scared. I would like to know if this newspaper is a trustful source or if it just another tabloid. Please, can some Irish fan enlighten me on this one?

Irish People: Not Even Death Threats Can Silence Musical Saint

http://www.mirrorgroup.co.uk
March 4, 2002
From The Irish People:

NOT EVEN DEATH THREATS CAN SILENCE MUSICAL SAINT
Greg Harkin

BONO has paid a heavy personal price for his crusades.

The singer is always surrounded by top security after Islamic
fundamentalist hot-heads backed by Osama bin Laden issued a terrifying FATWA against
him.
Aaron Cohen, a close pal of the U2 frontman, received more than 200
poison pen e-mails and phone calls last year.

They followed his work in exposing the vile slave trade in Sudan with
the support of the Dublin rock star.

Bono's personal security staff were informed of the threats, which were
in the same spirit as that issued to Satanic Verses author Salman Rushdie in
the early 90s.

Last night one source close to the U2 singer told us: "Bono will
never give up on his crusades.

"He is a key player in charitable deeds around the globe and
especially in the campaign to end Third World debt but still some people see them as controversial.

"He will not be silenced by death threats. And he knows the rest of
the band know how close these issues are to his heart."

Cohen, president of the Jubilee Foundation, is a well-known figure in
New York, where he has managed to cultivate a network of famous friends to
support various humanitarian causes.

He was joined at the G8 summit by activist allies Thom Yorke, of
Radiohead, Bono, Bob Geldof and U2 guitarist The Edge.

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Hiya Follower, sorry for the late reply, college blah
tongue.gif
But ya, vors is right, there is no such paper here. And well, I read most papers, well, on weekends here, and never heard anything like this, wouldn't let it bother ya
smile.gif

Originally posted by follower:
confused.gif
at elevatedmole post...
B]

Sorry -- I was just using that face because I was worried. It looks like an upset smiley.
wink.gif

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Thanks lazyboy and others...case closed. It seems that it was really nothing serious, fortunetaly, a tabloid stuff. It?s just this man is so precious for so many people including me, I can?t even think of something bad happening to him.

Well as I said Follower, no need to worry. And if someone did try and harm him, put it this way, he'd have a much worse time of it than that kid who tried to take Wacko Jacko down, his life was ruined by angry Jacko fans, imagine what PLEBA would do to the guy who got in Bono's way?!?!
biggrin.gif
I think the little man can handle himself anyway.

And with regards Irish newspapers, they usually let us know when he goes to the feckin cinema!! So I'm sure we'll here if he is under threat

Back
Top Bottom