Bullet the blue sky - appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AcrobatMan

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Song of the week "sentimental" by Porcupine Tree
The best truely rock song U2 has made. This thread is for those who was obsessed with this song at some point or another .
I love everything in this song and trulely all the 4 members are truly and duly represented in this song..from the bass line to the guitar solos to the bloody everything is so good :D

I miss the "Bullet the blue" style U2 :no:

Bullet is U2 going all Zep! (Led Zepplin)

Believe it or not, this is a song I find more essential to their live shows than Streets. Yes, Streets is fantastic live and I feel all "churchy" when I hear it. However, Bullet, with its many rebirths, is truth that rock n' roll lives on. Of course, both tracks are great in the same show too! :D

It is just me or is Bullet best heard live? The studio version is good, but that song for me really comes alive when it's played live.

Well "Bullet the blue sky" is really a special song. It speaks for itself, that the popular hard rock band "Sepultura" will cover it.(they will record an EP next month / will be released at the end of the year) A hard rock band covers an U2 song! :eek:
This song is so fantastic live. Love it! :heart:

Last edited:
It was nice when Bono had the Bullet perspective of American politics, i.e. not afraid to criticize blatantly wrong policies in regard to Central America...at the time (the '80's)...I think it would be hard for him today to be so far left when he's trying to accomplish the support for DATA, etc. to be so anti-american policy...don't think he'd have an american flag sewn in a JT days jacket either.

ballykissangel said:
...don't think he'd have an american flag sewn in a JT days jacket either.

I think the "Flag/Jacket" argument cuts both ways. In the Elevation DVD, Bono walks out onto the stage holding his jacket open for all to see the American flag after the video screens have peppered the audience with anti-gun rhetoric. It certainly insinuated to me that Bono embraces America with all its beauty and ugliness. This is something I can easily see him pulling off in the JT era. Remember, even in Rattle and Hum, fireworks lit up an American Flag as the Edge played the Star-Spangled Banner leading into Bullet. The Flag/Jacket many not be fireworks, but the effect is the same.

There's one big reason why I love "Bullet the Blue Sky" so much - and it is this:

The song evolves. On each tour it seemed as if one angle of the song was high-lighted just a little bit more than other tours.

JT/Lovetown: I think the whole "fighter plane" thing was the theme.

Zoo TV: A lot more political and a lot more anti-america (in my opinion). I mean jeeze, anyone remember the London version where Bono screams "Fuck Americaaaaaaaaaah!" ?

Popmart: My personal favorite versions are from this tour and basically because it was a tad bit more funky than the ones before it. More of a 'running to America' one. Also I still remember the line "So this guy walks up to me, asking how much do you want for your soul?" when I saw them in Chicago.

Elevation leg 1: "War is over we don't need your help. America is making war on itself." I've always been against the whole pro-gun thing and the version from Turin (sp?), Italy is amazing. I know alot of people love the Boston version, but the one in Italy has the best "rap" ever. Don't believe me? Just check it out.

Elevation leg 3: post-september 11th version. Goodbye to the "rap" and more emphasis on fighter planes again and "America" as a whole. This was the one moment in the concert where I got chills watching Bono perform. He had the spotlight directly in his face just spinning and screaming "outside it's America"

These are just my opinions and it has been a long day so alot may not make sense. Oh well. Cheers.

- The Zoocifer -

Zoocifer said:
There's one big reason why I love "Bullet the Blue Sky" so much - and it is this:

The song evolves. On each tour it seemed as if one angle of the song was high-lighted just a little bit more than other tours.

JT/Lovetown: I think the whole "fighter plane" thing was the theme.

Zoo TV: A lot more political and a lot more anti-america (in my opinion). I mean jeeze, anyone remember the London version where Bono screams "Fuck Americaaaaaaaaaah!" ?

Popmart: My personal favorite versions are from this tour and basically because it was a tad bit more funky than the ones before it. More of a 'running to America' one. Also I still remember the line "So this guy walks up to me, asking how much do you want for your soul?" when I saw them in Chicago.

Elevation leg 1: "War is over we don't need your help. America is making war on itself." I've always been against the whole pro-gun thing and the version from Turin (sp?), Italy is amazing. I know alot of people love the Boston version, but the one in Italy has the best "rap" ever. Don't believe me? Just check it out.

Elevation leg 3: post-september 11th version. Goodbye to the "rap" and more emphasis on fighter planes again and "America" as a whole. This was the one moment in the concert where I got chills watching Bono perform. He had the spotlight directly in his face just spinning and screaming "outside it's America"

These are just my opinions and it has been a long day so alot may not make sense. Oh well. Cheers.

- The Zoocifer -

Well said. The continual tinkering with the song is just one reason I continue to be enamored with it.

I was just thinking about how brilliant Bullet is! It's place in the tracklisting in J-Tree is perfect - it stuns you sitting in between WOWY and RTSS.

And not to take away from the seriousness of the song's subject, but Bono's is really feckin' HOTT sounding...(Run...into the arms...of America)

:drool:

Yeeahhhhh.....

okay this is soo cool!! I told a friend once that Bullet was one of those songs that just has so much energy and even without the history that it has, it is just a sweet kick ass song! Also true, this song lives on being played live!!!:yes: :yes: :yes:

It's an essential song in every U2 concert. Unbelievable. U2 at its best... although I never liked the Popmart version.

I love this song a lot! There's nothing quite like the screeching guitars tearing apart Bono's plaintive song at the end of bad, a la ZooTV.

Bullet is an awesome song... so much energy! Just listen to the version from Wembley Nights where Bono goes on his "Into the outsied it's america, america. america, where the fuck are you? United Kingdom, Fuck you! Fuck you Germany! Fuck you France! Zoonited nations! Zoonited Nations!" tangent... i love that performance!

I love how it evolves from tour to tour. When I saw it in Hamilton last October, it was definately the most intense song of the night.

I also did a visual interpretation of the song for art class, which I will be resharing when I get a good picture of it.

Back
Top Bottom