Bullet The Blue Sky Appreciation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
This is song is incredible. The lyrics and bono's furious vocal delivery, the raging guitar riffs and solos(oh the solos), the emphatic drums, everything. And I'm not just talking about the live versions(mindblowing as they are) - the studio version is incredible in its own right. The solo between 'outside is america' and 'see across the field' in the studio version, while not as long and drawn out as its live counterparts, is mesmerizing and powerful and rageful in its own right.

Bullet The Blue Sky :drool:

Every word is true...

Yet the Zoo TV version...Oh lordy...especially when the Edge sorted out that "Hendixesque" solo :drool:

Last edited:
I think this song is highly underrated because of its excessive live performances. It should have a rest.

I really like the album version and I think the ZOO TV version it's one of U2 most rocking moments...

Bullet the blue sky :rockon:

I love Bullet, it's cuurently one of my favourite U2 songs. Although I may be over-played live... it still sounds amazing - I'm not bored of it yet! :wink:

Utterly brilliant, it would be a highlight of any bands career.

I LOVE this song. The melodies, chorus, bass and drums, not to mention the guitar are all amazing! The lyrics are one of Bono's best, some of my favorite lines are from this song: "See the face of fear running scared on the valley below" That's fucking awesome I think!!

The live version is miles better than the studio version. That beginning (live) is one of the greatest beginnings ever, so dark and huge and that slide riff is just as incredible and as haunting! Edge's guitar throughout the whole song is something to admire, his kick ass and inspired solo, the wah-wah during the verses, the slide sounds during the "saxophone" part are all great and I really love how they were ending it on the Elevation Tour with Bono going crazy, Larry and Adam getting harder and louder and Edge with that slide making the tension grow bigger and bigger.

The great thing about this song is that it's very artistic and poetic but at the same time it achieves that with the most raw and classic rock n' roll sound. It's a monster of a song and to witness it live is truly fantastic! I can't blame the guys for still playing it.

Ah.. the song that shocked me out of my senses on my first listen to JT. After the smooth WOWY, this was like a WTF moment. But it kinda grew on me after the 2nd and 3rd listen.

The studio version is what I grew up with and didn't hear it live until much later. So I like both versions.

Through the walls you hear the city groan...
*Edge guitar* :rockon:

As a Bullet lover I must say that Vertigo Tour version it's a shame compared with ZOO TV or Elevation...

"slappin' them down... one hundred... TWO HUNDRED..."

:rockon:

One of my favorite rock and roll songs EVER...
Especially the ZooTV version.

tommycharles said:
Mark Chapman rap....:drool:

I'm with you on that. The ferocity in how it is delievered makes it my favorite Bullet performance ever. I love the Elevation version more than the ZooTV, which is saying a whoooole lot.

But about this Vertigo version, after seeing it live a couple weeks ago finally I like it after all. I absolutely love the image of the fighter plane flying over the city during the mammoth guitar solo (didn't hurt that Edge was about 3 feet from me during it). I love the blindfold too.

A lot of people just don't respect it as much as it deserves for one reason or another. I love it. Always have, always will.

namkcuR said:
This is song is incredible. The lyrics and bono's furious vocal delivery, the raging guitar riffs and solos(oh the solos), the emphatic drums, everything. And I'm not just talking about the live versions(mindblowing as they are) - the studio version is incredible in its own right. The solo between 'outside is america' and 'see across the field' in the studio version, while not as long and drawn out as its live counterparts, is mesmerizing and powerful and rageful in its own right.

Bullet The Blue Sky :drool:

=)
well said, my friend

Zootlesque said:
Ah.. the song that shocked me out of my senses on my first listen to JT. After the smooth WOWY, this was like a WTF moment. But it kinda grew on me after the 2nd and 3rd listen.

Wow. I was exactly the same. I thought what the hell at first but by my third listening I loved it. One of the best things about this song to me is the intro - especially Adam and Larry. They are on fire in this song, especially Adam. The only complaints I have - I found the chours annoying at Slane - because Bono is signing aggresively and then Edge sings 'sky' and it kinda wrecks it for me. I also think it could do with another chorus towards the end. Also, does anyone have the full lyrics for the song? I can only get it from the start till 'outside is america'. I'm missing that very last verse.

TheBrazilianFly, are you a fan of U2's quiter/slower songs as well or are you just into their rockers?

This song is great in every incarnation. I have been meaning to make a CD with all of the different versions of this song. How cool would that be?

All countries in this world should enforce a law that prohibited U2 from having this one in their setlist as a regular ever again.

Partly kidding, of course, but this song has never musically done anything for me. It's the political thing to it that made it stand out. Musically it is pretty uninteresting.

Sorry for posting negativity in an appreciation thread.

i agree, the ZooTv version is the best!!!!
when i saw them live, i just didnt know what was going on...
it was overwhelming.

and yes i thing the present version in a bit weaker...though Bono singing like a lost child in the middle....home, home...
it still has power.

tommycharles said:
Mark Chapman rap....:drool:

that was so damn awesome when he did that, my 2nd favorite Bullet performance ever

right after Dublin 1993

the first time I got JT and listened to this song, I didn't like it at first. but then I listened to a live version and I went completely bizerk and fell in love with this song.

Edge's solo :drool:
live version of btbs is incredible, zootv :rockon:

Okay I just heard the version on the Stay single for the first time. Absolutely incredible.

This song is best when it's LIVE!! Edge's solo:drool: nothing short of amazing! It's probably one of my favorite live songs ever and I'll never get sick of it.

TheBrazilianFly said:

Yes, I'm a fan of it all. Why do you ask? :)

Curiosity really. Well, you've got that :rockon: smile in your name, (I think) The Fly is your favourite off AB (memory from the survivors) and you usually post a positive comment in threads about Exit, BBtS, so on.

Apologies if I'm wrong!

COBL_04 said:

Curiosity really. Well, you've got that :rockon: smile in your name, (I think) The Fly is your favourite off AB (memory from the survivors) and you usually post a positive comment in threads about Exit, BBtS, so on.

Apologies if I'm wrong!

No apologies necessary really. :up:

Back
Top Bottom