Bruce Springsteen will induct U2 into Hall of fame!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Flying FuManchu said:
Will Edge participate in the potential guitar wankery?

He has in the past....

In 1992 Edge inducted the Yardbirds and yes he did participate in the Jam session. Apparently some stage hand grabbed a guitar and plugged into the same amp Edge was hooked into and blew the amp up....:huh: True story.

See U2: At The End Of The World for more details.

Reggie Thee Dog said:

He has in the past....

In 1992 Edge inducted the Yardbirds and yes he did participate in the Jam session. Apparently some stage hand grabbed a guitar and plugged into the same amp Edge was hooked into and blew the amp up....:huh: True story.

See U2: At The End Of The World for more details.

I read that part a while back too- that Flanagan bit led me to assume the Edge didn't techincally participate on that jam. A lot of guitarists on that stage with a few being labeled as influential... again, it will be interesting.

great news, I think the BOSS is perfect. There will be a lot of legends on stage that night

anyone going to the hall to see the live broadcast? thinking of making the trip. There's no way to get in the waldorf, right?

:applaud:

Here's Bono's speech

Bono's Speech at the 1999 Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony

Bruce is a very unusual rock star, really, isn't he? I mean, he hasn't done the
things most rock stars do. He got rich and famous, but never embarrassed himself
with all that success, did he? No drug busts, no blood changes in Switzerland.
Even more remarkable, no golfing! No bad hair period, even in the '80s. No
wearing of dresses in videos. No embarrassing movie roles, no pet snakes, no
monkeys. No exhibitions of his own paintings. No public brawling or setting
himself on fire on the weekend.

Rock stars are supposed to make soap operas of their lives, aren't they? If they
don't kill themselves first. Well, you can't be a big legend and not be
dysfunctional. It's not allowed. You should at least have lost your looks.
Everyone else has. Did you see them? (Points toward backstage area) It's like
Madame Toussaud's back there.

Then there's Bruce Springsteen. (cheers) Okay - Ohhh!!! Handsome, handsome mother
with those brooding brown eyes, eyes that could see through America. And a
catastrophe of great songs, if you were another songwriter. Bruce has played
every bar in the U.S.A., and every stadium. Credibility -- you couldn't have
more, unless you were dead. But Bruce Springsteen, you always knew, was not gonna
die stupid. He didn't buy the mythology that screwed so many people. Instead he
created an alternative mythology, one where ordinary lives became extraordinary
and heroic. Bruce Springsteen, you were familiar to us. But it's not an easy
familiarity, is it? Even his band seems to stand taller when he walks in the
room. It's complex. He's America's writer, and critic. It's like in 'Badlands,'
he's Martin Sheen and Terrence Malick. To be so accessible and so private ...
there's a rubric. But then again, he is an Irish-Italian, with a Jewish-sounding
name. What more do you want?!? Add one big African sax player, and no one in this
room is gonna fuck with you!

In 1974, I was 14. Even I knew the '60s were over. It was the era of soft-rock
and fusion. The Beatles was gone, Elvis was in Vegas. What was goin' on? Nothin'
was goin' on. Bruce Springsteen was comin' on, saving music from the phonies,
saving lyrics from the folkies, saving leather jackets from the Fonz. (Sings)
'Now the greasers, they tramp the streets and get busted for sleeping on the
beaches all night, and them boys in their high heels, ah Sandy, their skins are
so white. Oh Sandy, love me tonight, and I promise I'll love you forever.' In
Dublin, Ireland, I knew what he was talking about. Here was a dude who carried
himself like Brando, and Dylan, and Elvis. If John Steinbeck could sing, if Van
Morrison could ride a Harley-Davidson .... It was something new, too. He was the
first whiff of Scorsese, the first hint of Patti Smith, Elvis Costello and the
Clash. He was the end of long hair, brown rice and bell bottoms. He was the end
of the 20-minute drum solo. It was good night, Haight- Ashbury; hello, Asbury
Park. (cheers) C'mon!

America was staggering when Springsteen appeared. The president just resigned in
disgrace, the U.S. had lost its first war. There was going to be no more oil in
the ground. The days of cruising and big cars were supposed to be over. But Bruce
Springsteen's vision was bigger than a Honda, it was bigger than a Subaru. Bruce
made you believe that dreams were still out there, but after loss and defeat,
they had to be braver, not just bigger. He was singing 'Now you're scared and
you're thinking that maybe we ain't that young anymore,' because it took guts to
be romantic now. Knowing you could lose didn't mean you still didn't take the
ride. In fact, it made taking the ride all the more important.

Here was a new vision, and a new community. More than a community, because every
great rock group is kind of like starting a religion. And Bruce surrounded
himself with fellow believers. The E Street -- it wasn't just a great rock group,
or a street gang. It was a brotherhood. Zealots like Steve Van Zandt, the bishop
Clarence Clemons, the holy Roy Bittan, crusaders Danny Federici, Max Weinberg,
Garry Tallent, and later, Nils Lofgren. And Jon Landau, Jon Landau, Jon Landau,
Jon Landau, Jon Landau. What do you call a man who makes his best friend his
manager, his producer, his confessor? You call him the Boss. And Springsteen
didn't just marry a gorgeous, red-headed woman from the Jersey Shore. She could
sing, she could write, and she could tell the Boss off. That's Patty right there.
(points toward crowd)

For me and the rest of the U2-ers, it wasn't just the way he described the world.
It was the way he negotiated it. It was a map, a book of instructions on how to
be in the business but not of it. Generous is a word you could use to describe
the way he treated us. Decency is another. But these words can box you in. I
remember when Bruce was headlining Amnesty International's tour for prisoners of
conscience, I remember thinking 'Wow, if ever there was a prisoner of conscience,
it's Bruce Springsteen.' Integrity can be a yoke, a pain...when your songs are
taking you to a part of town where people don't expect to see you.

At some point I remember riding in an elevator with gentleman Bruce, where he
just stared straight ahead of himself, and completely ignored me. I was crushed.
Only when he walked into the doors as they were opening, did I realize the
impossible was happening. My God, Bruce Springsteen, the Buddha of my youth, is
plastered! Drunk as a skunk! Is this a farce? I have to go back to the book of
instructions, scratch the bit out about how you held yourself in public. By the
way, that was a great relief.

Something was going on, though. As a fan I could see that my hero was beginning
to rebel against his own public image. Things got even more interesting on
'Tunnel of Love,' when he started to deface it. A remarkable bunch of tunes,
where our leader starts having a go at himself, and the hypocrisy of his own
heart, before anyone else could. But the tabloids could never break news on Bruce
Springsteen. Because his fans -- he had already told us everything in the songs.
We knew he was spinning. We could feel him free-falling. But it wasn't in chaos
or entropy. It was in love.

They call him the Boss. Well that's a bunch of crap. He's not the boss. He works
FOR us. More than a boss, he's the owner, because more than anyone else, Bruce
Springsteen owns America's heart.

I'm proud to introduce to you Bruce Springsteen, member of the E Street Band.
Come on!

Layton said:
I always thought the Gallagher boys from Oasis should get the nod, but they're just too nuts to rely on and since there career fizzed nobody in America probably would know who they were anyway. They lost their profile and U2 deserves a high profile artist to induct them. It's a bummer though, because Noel in particular really understands U2's greatness I think and Liam understands how to get tanked and U2 understands the pleasures of the thick water too, so maybe we could've seen another tongue job to liven things up.

I thought about that too, would have liked to have seen Noel and Liam doing it who knows if Liam would have a tantrum on the way to the ceremony and just not bother or something. :wink:

Anyhoo I think this is a great choice. Um bear with me, I know nothing about these inductions. :der: Will U2 actually play, or...? I love the clip of Bono on Because the Night with Bruce.

I wonder if Bruce will say how much he liked the 40 foot lemon on popmart.

I want Little Steven to join in the speech. Then I want Tony Soprano and the whole crew to join in too.

The Bing girls can join in the jam session at the end.

Yeah, ultimately, there isn't anyone younger fit to shine U2's shoes.

Thom Yorke has been bandied about by people as someone to make an induction speech, but he only represents the experimental sect. He's not a showman, either. U2 is at heart a populist band, and they deserve a fellow legend to induct them. There is no bigger populist than Bruce Springteen.

perhaps the band would be better served by two people, as prince had last year. one could represent the younger, influenced artists, while The Boss represents rock history.

Michael Stipe was also mentioned by many because he's a contemporary of the band, but I feel, again, not quite legendary enough or powerful enough of a speaker. Eddie Vedder MAY have been able to pull it off but I don't think PJ and U2 have much in common.

I'm really pleased with this choice. It cements U2's status as Rock and Roll Royalty. You know Dylan never would have agreed to do it anyway.

laz

Im sure there will be jam session. i am speechless at the thought.....eric clapton, bb king, bruce springsteen, buddy guy, the pretenders, rod stewart, and U2! can you imagine!?:drool:

Flying FuManchu said:
Something to look forward to... actually... outside of the individual/ band performances, one of the main things to look forward to...

Link

:yes: :applaud:

Flying Fu Manchu, thank you SO MUCH for posting that link. I've been trying to find that clip for almost a year because I missed the broadcast. I'm a HUGE Prince fan, and that just solidifies my belief that the man is one of the best (and most underrated) guitarists ever. Maybe he should be inducting U2.

Awesome!

laz

i am fairly confidant that U2 is not that kind of band to join in a band jam. think about it, bb king, eric clapton, bruce, the who, etc. they all have this rock jam vibe about them. U2 is much more eloquent (that looks like i spelt that incorrectly).

lazarus said:

I'm a HUGE Prince fan, and that just solidifies my belief that the man is one of the best (and most underrated) guitarists ever.

I have to agree with you. I was absolutely blown away with that clip.

Prince was great in that clip... not just what he played but the showmanship... too bad, most guitarists can't pull that off - it's either the bent over body with the head bob or funny guitar face. I forgot that Buddy Guy will be there too. That will be a lot of guitar wankery (I hope!!!) for the show considering Bruce can play some too.

Maybe we will get to see Bono show his technical prowess on guitar. :wink:

Flying FuManchu said:
Maybe we will get to see Bono show his technical prowess on guitar. :wink:

:lmao:

can you imagine him stepping up to the mic and saying "this is something I've been waiting to do for 25 years" and then tearing into some cheesy 80's metal solo?

I don't know what to say except that this absolutely fucking PERFECT!!!! Rock the fuck on cause The Boss rocks like no one!!!! :rockon:

:sad: <---- tears of joy.

Last edited:
U2 and Bruce, two of my favorite things! It couldn't get any better! It should be a great induction!!!! :dance:

On a scary and sad note, I was telling my roommate about this tonight...

ME: Guess who is inducting U2 into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

ROOMMATE: George?

ME: George?

ROOMMATE: Uh, Paul?

ME: Are you referencing Beatles? George is dead!

ROOMMATE: Opps.

:|

Back
Top Bottom