Brooklyn show on iTunes - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2004, 08:29 AM   #101
The Fly

Local Time: 06:55 AM
Well, maybe...

Quote:
Originally posted by theedge111
How great is this!! Its going to be expensive for me but this is what i've wanted for years. Good quality live tunes where the band doesnt get ripped off!
Well, doesn't get ripped off by the people with some moral fiber. I'm quite certain there are those on here who will find a way to get as much of the band's stuff at no charge, and justify it somehow with the flimsiest of excuses (which apparently lets them sleep at night...) After the feeding frenzy of the box set rarities, not much surprises me at this point as far as what people will do because they're SUCH big fans! With fans like those... etc

But, yes, for the rest of us who will be footing the bill for others' thievery, these are exciting times. And I hope they consider some sort of a live retroscpective series. I'd rather have these shows via iTunes than most of the crap that's out on the web from the amatuers.

Old 12-10-2004, 08:47 AM   #102
The Fly

Local Time: 05:55 AM
Re: Well, maybe...

Quote:
Originally posted by jmelrose
I'd rather have these shows via iTunes than most of the crap that's out on the web from the amatuers.
But, but.... iTunes only offers lossy at the moment so that's crap too. And who wouldn't want to get rid of ALL of the crap out there on the web and just get the good stuff. That is, WTF are you trying to say!!! Crap is crap!

Wake up! Wake up .............

Old 12-10-2004, 09:06 AM   #103
The Fly

Local Time: 10:55 AM
who cares if its lossy? Just be thankful for some quality. Besides Popmart Mexico, and Point Depot, every other boot I've heard sound like it was recordered inside a sardine can. So it doesn't matter if its lossy of not.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:12 AM   #104
War Child

Local Time: 10:55 AM
Re: Re: Well, maybe...

Quote:
Originally posted by trabantland

But, but.... iTunes only offers lossy at the moment so that's crap too. And who wouldn't want to get rid of ALL of the crap out there on the web and just get the good stuff. That is, WTF are you trying to say!!! Crap is crap!

Wake up! Wake up .............
I'd be willing to bet >90% of people couldn't distinguish the difference between a 128kbps mp3 and a .wav non-lossy CD under normal listening circumstances (ipod, dell jukebox, car stereo, pc, std home audio, etc).

I have the itunes broadway mp3's, and they sound a whole lot better on my listening equipment and under my typical listening circumstances than just about every non 1st generation soundboard audience taped boot I have (and I have a LOT), or heard, (I've heard even more)
Old 12-10-2004, 09:37 AM   #105
The Fly

Say what you want about lossy, but I'd rather listen to pro-mastered live recording in lossy than a boot taped from within the audience in the vast, vast majority of cases. Anyone who enjoys listening to a show, and a permenant record of the crowd commentary around the taper, over the actual MUSIC is nuts. That is WTF I am saying. Lossy isn't great, it isn't perfect, but it's a helluva lot better than the bootleg listening experience, and since the number of people who listen to a live concert with reference-quality headphones in a silent room is pretty low, I guess no one's going to be completely happy. I, however, will be satisfied (and i'm sure if they're mastering all these recordings a CD version can't be too far behind.)
Since most people listen to this stuff in their cars or iPod headphones on a bus, bike, while jogging, or in public, they're going to have a pretty hard time discerning between 128AAC and a lossless. There IS a difference, no doubt, but given the circumstances most people listen to live shows under, it's less likely to be audible.

See the BNL Live website as a great way to distrubute live music: MP3 for $14/show, FLACs for $15/show, and CDs for $20/show. Perfect. Until then, I'll take iTunes. Amatuer tape recording next to drunk asshole... I'll pass, thanks. No matter how well Bono hits his high notes, the beer man walking by can strip all the majesty away with 1 syllable: "Beer!"
Old 12-10-2004, 11:35 AM   #106
The Fly

I got this myself, fabulous.

Concerning the "lossy" conversation, two things if I may. Firstly, I believe these files are ripped straight from the masters, not from CD's, which is probably why these sound much better than the same types of files we rip from our CD's. Secondly, depending on the gear you're using to listen to the music, the iTunes files sound very, very good. Granted, not "CD quality", but not off by very far, that's for sure. I mean, I alternate from the iPod straight into a pair of Prophonic 2XS, and at times I'll throw a portable amp into the mix. Not everyday or average gear, I understand that, but the itunes files sound pretty, pretty good (not up to the standards of lossless, but not that far off).
Old 12-10-2004, 02:33 PM   #107
Refugee

Umm, is the "We Don't Get Fooled Again" riff a new "feature" of the Vertigo live performances now?
Old 12-10-2004, 02:43 PM   #108
Forum Moderator

The EP is now # 1 in itunes. HTDAAB has dropped to # 2.