Bringing my U2 obsession into perspective...please read...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Se7en

Rock n' Roll Doggie
"Ok, Edge. Play the blues!"
Ahh...those haunting words from Silver and Gold..my first U2 memory.

I was born in 1983...and at roughly 6 years of age, in 1989, it all began when may dad sat me down to watch Rattle and Hum. Even at such a young age I was moved by the sorrow of Van Dieman's Land, the spunk of Desire, the power of Silver and Gold, the anger of Sunday Bloody Sunday, the pure joy of Where the Streets Have No Name, and the passion of With or Without You.

I remember sitting in the den with my older brother listening to the R&H cd... Playing those words over and over..."Ok, Edge. Play the blues!" and then proceeding to break into my first ever guitar solo! Such power, such emotion...I was only 6 for christ's sake! I didn't care...it's always been about the music to me. I grew fond of sunday afternoons...I would often come home from church and pop on the video. My dad always asking if my homework was done. I always wondered why Bono's arm was in a sling during ISHFWILF...and to this day I still don't know
smile.gif
. The graffitti of, "Rock and Roll stops the traffic" has been burned into my mind.

Now comes that fateful day of the release of Achtung Baby. My dad brought it home and I refused to listen to it! I remember running out of the room and listening to silver and gold...not wanting anything to ruin R&H for me. Although I don't remember exactly when or how...I was eventually converted to the Fly and I loved every minute of Achtung Baby. I remember buying a black pair of sunglasses after my dad bought me the Sydney video. What 10 year old wanted to be Bono besides me? None that I've ever known of!

Through the years I've grown to love every
album U2 had put out. From the "punkishness" of Boy to the "titanium soul" of ATYCLB. I was the only one in the family who stuck with the band and genuinely enjoyed the "experimental days." Zooropa and POP are 2 of my top U2 albums...but there's no way I could every choose between the 2 or any of the 10 for that matter.

My father saw U2 in 1983 at Shea's Theater in Buffalo during the War Tour. My brother and I completed the circle when we saw them at the HSBC Arena in 2001 for Elevation. We're even pushing the envelope much like my favorite band and seeing a second show in Philly soon. (I realize some see 10 in one tour...humor me
smile.gif
) I could just tell how much my dad wanted to go with us...but due to hearing problems he can't attend concerts anymore. I know he was disappointed...but he can rest assured that I will carry on the U2 tradition of my family.

I'm sorry for the novel...I hope you enjoyed it. I just wanted to share my genuine love for R&H, U2, and my "mentor"-- Bono Vox of O'Connoll St. Thanks for the memories ...

Sincerely Yours,
Se7en

Originally posted by Se7en:
at roughly 6 years of age, in 1989, it all began when my dad sat me down to watch Rattle and Hum.

Se7en - you have one awesome dad!

My son is 6 years old now and listens to U2 all the time. Okay, he doesn't really have a choice cause I play it all the time...but he does love it, especially ATYCLB. Anytime he thinks I'm feeling down, he'll start playing air guitar and singing Elevation using his best Bono impression to cheer me up.
smile.gif

Maybe 12 years from now he'll start a thread about how his Mom introduced him to U2!

**O2 uses her Mom voice** "Now go call your Dad and tell him how much you love him, Se7en."

------------------
VIVA LAS VEGAS!

DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS [No thanks to Propaganda - BLAH!]

Thanks for spending your hard earned cash on a rock show. ~ Bono, Houston, 4-2-01

Originally posted by Se7en:
I'm sorry for the novel...I hope you enjoyed it.

I only wish all novels were that length (like the one I have to read for English class for example)!

Thanks for the story, I definately did enjoy it. I haven't quite been a fan as long as you, I was a child of Zooropa... I was 9 at the time.

i was born in '86, and i've been listening to u2 since before i was born.
smile.gif
my mom used to play WAIA whenever i started to kick her too hard. i didn't get to hear achtung or any thing after rattle and hum until about a year ago, though- my parents were stuck in the eighties.

Your story was so great to read and a testiment to the power of U2 - their influence is just extraordinary - a one off really. I don't think there has ever been anything like it.!
I'm sorry to hear that your dad cannot attend concerts any more, but it is good to see that the tradition continues.

Pamela

-------------
and on the eighth day God created u2

Se7en, that is a very touching story. I hope my daughter feels this way as she grows up. Goodness knows I have exposed her to a great deal of U2's music. MSG 10/24 was her first time seeing them in concert! I knew it would be a fantastic show, and the funny part about it, is that she was the one who begged to go. I hadn't even brought up the idea of taking her. I can assure you she'll never forget it, she's still on the post-concert high.

That's cool, your story reminds me of my cousin's story. Notiti and our other cousins grew up listening to U2 because my Aunt and I were always playing them. Now she has grown up to be a huge U2 fan and even a member of this forum.
smile.gif

------------------
Remember the goul.

Shake n' bake
Do whatever it takes

There?s no need to apologize Se7en, absolutely. I loved your story. Your father is a cool guy.
My 2 children have been brought up whit the sound and message of U2 all way around them. The boy, 13, loves Kite and SBS. My 8 years-old-daughter loves to sing along with Bono, especially Elevation, Lemon and for this proud mom here, 11 O?Clock! Of course she sings the way she hears...so what she sings is not exactly in english, LOL
smile.gif

------------------
Seu pa?s ? lindo. Seu povo ? lindo. Suas vozes s?o lindas. N?o esqueceremos voc?s. - Bono - S?o Paulo - 01/31/1998

That's so cool JasonD! How old is your daughter? If I ever have kids, I hope they like U2.. though I doubt U2 will be touring when they're old enough to go to a concert.. who knows though?
tongue.gif

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read my post. I actually spent longer than 30 seconds on that one!
smile.gif

but I did realize that I left something out
mad.gif
I remember one day after I finally listened to AB, my brother and I made a full length "music video." It was comprised of me stading behind my toy microphone, strumming my toy guitar...w/ the fly shades of cours!
biggrin.gif
It like totally rawked!!!

[This message has been edited by Se7en (edited 10-26-2001).]

Hey Se7en- I really enjoyed reading your story, I think it's great that Papa introduced you to one of the best things in this life!
It just made me smile, thanx...

Hey se7en, my introduction story is much like yours. When I was around 6 (which would be 1991 for me), my sister introduced me to U2 with the R&H video, and since then that's all I listen to.

Se7en, from what I understand, Bono has a sling on his arm because he fell off the stage and broke(or hurt badly) his arm like a week before ISHFWILF was filmed.

[This message has been edited by blood red edge (edited 10-26-2001).]

Aawww Se7en, your U2 history is very sweet!
You got a great Dad but I'm sure you already know that.
smile.gif

I'm raising the future U2 fans too.
My 11 year old son favorite songs are; One, Elevation, I will follow, BD and Pride.
My 9 year old favorites; Streets, Lemon, Elevation(Tomb Raider remix), BD, I will follow, Walk On and Angel of Harlem.(follower, our girls have something in common
smile.gif
).
And my 4 year old favorites; Elevation, One, I will follow(you should see him singing the "your eyes make a circle" part, he closes his eyes, such passion for a little boy!) and SBS.
They ask me lots of questions about the meaning of the songs and general facts about U2, I can't wait until we can take them to see U2 live.
smile.gif

se7en this is such a sweet story, I enjoyed reading it! Continue to carry the U2 torch in your family... that's one fire that should never go out! And I'm sure your dad is proud of the U2 monster he has created
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom