boy vs. war

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
War > Boy

But...I love Boy. I really do. It's the underdog, and I love it to bits. It almost makes me physically hurt to say anything is better than Boy. :sad:

However...

1. Sunday Bloody Sunday > I Will Follow
2. Seconds > Twilight
3. An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart > New Year's Day
4. Out Of Control > ...Like A Song
5. Drowning Man > Stories For Boys
6. The Refugee > The Ocean
7. A Day Without Me > Two Hearts Beat As One
8. Red Light > Another Time, Another Place
9. The Electric Co. > Surrender (this one was painful)
10. 40 > Shadows And Tall Trees

6-4 War

Boy wins for me although it has, in my opinion, the most overrated U2 song of all time, i will Follow.

I think it's the live versions I hate. I can never understand why it is probably U2's most played song live. The original is good but the song doesn't deserve to have been played so often.
Boy has so many wonderful songs that rank among my faves..An Cat Dubh, Out Of Control, electric Co, shadows and tall trees and ATAP.

coolian2 said:

Your post started brilliantly but ended on an ugly note.

No, it stayed brilliant right to the end. I think there are more over-rated songs than IWF, but Gav has a point.

I am glad IWF is currently the most played live song though, just because I wouldn't be happy at all if Pride (which is currently a close second) were top as it's one of U2's worst live songs.

Happy New Year to you all in NZ!
I agree with you about Pride, one of my favourite U2 singles but I have NEVER heard a good live version of it!

Happy new year to you too!

And I can name one good live version of Pride, incidentally in NZ. 31 August 1984, Wellington. It sounds nothing like almost every other performance since.

In terms of songwriting i think War is superior. Particularly in the case of New Years Day, one of U2's finest ever moments. The biting piano and edge's solo take U2 to levels they hadn't previously touched. Also Larry's drumming in Sunday Bloody Sunday and Like A Song is extremely powerful, i wish he'd replicate that soon. I think that lyrically it is a major advancement as Bono's writing takes a more political stance and i think the album is all the better for it.

Ok the intro to Red Light is cringeworthy and at times the production sounds like the album was recorded in Steve Lillywhite's garden shed but i still think it has the kind of songwriting that deservedly makes it U2's first number one album.

Boy is a solid album with a couple of gems like OOC and The Elkectric Co but i think War is a genuine progression in their sound.

Neither J_NP owns Boy or War yet :shrug:

Waiting for a good price

Bones58 said:

You've waited 27 years, it ain't gonna get any cheaper :wink:

Well at least here the sites have this promotion on the R'n R day , like last year , War was costing like 4,99 US dollars .... Too Bad When I looked all were sold already

J_NP said:

Well at least here the sites have this promotion on the R'n R day , like last year , War was costing like 4,99 US dollars .... Too Bad When I looked all were sold already

Wow actually that is cheap, it will cost you about £8 over here. In fact in some stores it cost £10.99 for Wide Awake In America:eyebrow:

I've seen WAIA for £16.99 in Virgin Megastore, along with Pop at £18.99!!

Also, just a note: I don't understand why people compare albums on a track by track basis? It makes no sense.

As for the poll, I prefer Boy... but War has some giant songs of its own.

Back
Top Bottom