Boy vs. October vs. War vs. The Unforgettable Fire vs. The Joshua Tree vs. etc. etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
Alright, enough screwing around here! These comparison threads have been nothing but lightweight fluff! If you're going to compare albums song by song, do it right! Compare all 11 albums at once!:mad: Who's up to the challenge? Huh? Bitches.

(Note: Only the studio tracks on Rattle and Hum are included in this bat-shit insane comparison that follows)

1. I Will Follow vs. Gloria vs. Sunday Bloody Sunday vs. A Sort of Homecoming vs. Where The Streets Have No Name vs. Desire vs. Zoo Station vs. Zooropa vs. Discotheque vs. Beautiful Day vs. Vertigo

WINNER: Where The Streets Have No Name.

This was hard because U2 is so good at crafting strong album openers. The contest came down to Streets and Beautiful Day, as both songs are in my top 5. But Streets gets the live vote, so there you go.

2. Twilight vs. I Fall Down vs. Seconds vs. Pride vs. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For vs. Hawkmoon 269 vs. Even Better Than The Real Thing vs. Babyface vs. Do You Feel Loved vs. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of vs. Miracle Drug

WINNER: I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

This race came down to the eventual winner and Do You Feel Loved. Both are amazing songs, but the Joshua Tree's killer production, and the winner's unique gospel sensability won me over in the end.

3. An Cat Dubh vs. I Threw A Brick Through A Window vs. New Years Day vs. Wire vs. With Or Without You vs. Angel of Harlem vs. One vs. Numb vs. MOFO vs. Elevation vs. Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own

WINNER: With Or Without You

Oddly enough, WOWY only won because of the luck of the way the songs come together. Personally, the only competition WOWY has here is New Years Day and I Threw A Brick, and while the live version of late isn't spectacular, WOWY is a fucking classic, and the Lovetown versions of it are unreal. It wins.

4. Into The Heart vs. Rejoice vs. Like A Song vs. The Unforgettable Fire vs. Bullet The Blue Sky vs. Love Rescue Me vs. Until The End of the World vs. Lemon vs. If God Will Send His Angels vs. Walk On vs. Love and Peace Or Else

WINNER: Lemon

Wow, this was easily the tightest race yet. So many killer #4's in their catalogue. I couldn't really decide between The Unforgettable Fire, Bullet, End of the World, Lemon, or Walk On...man...that's a lot of great songs. Overall though, Lemon reigns supreme. It's the king of track 4's. Fucking A, this one might change tomorrow though. But for now. Praise the Lemon.

5. Out Of Control vs. Fire vs. Drowning Man vs. Promenade vs. Running To Stand Still vs. When Love Comes to Town vs. Whose Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses vs. Stay vs. Staring At The Sun vs. Kite vs. City of Blinding Lights

WINNER: TIE: Running to Stand Still/ Kite

Fuck it. I can't pick between these two songs. Both are monumental in their own ways. Similar, yet completely different. Both reach an entirely new level live as well. I just can't pick. Nope. Can't.

6. Stories For Boys vs. Tomorrow vs. The Refugee vs. 4th of July vs. Red Hill Mining Town vs. Heartland vs. So Cruel vs. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car vs. Last Night On Earth vs. In A Little While vs. All Because of You

WINNER: Heartland

Yeah, this was a pretty weak track collection overall, so it's pretty damn easy for Heartland to take the prize, even though it's technically track 13 on Rattle and Hum. Oh well, who cares, this topic is stupid anyway.

7. The Ocean vs. October vs. Two Hearts Beat As One vs. Bad vs. In God's Country vs. God Part II vs. The Fly vs. Some Days Are Better Than Others vs. Gone vs. Wild Honey vs. A Man And A Woman

WINNER: Bad

I really feel bad for songs like The Fly, God Part II, and Wild Honey because they are all excellent tracks, especially The Fly, a song you'd think would easily win any song vs. song contest. But honestly, nothing can fucking compare to Bad. Tough luck fellas.

8. A Day Without Me vs. With A Shout vs. Red Light vs. Indian Summer Sky vs. Trip Through Your Wires vs. All I Want Is You vs. Mysterious Ways vs. The First Time vs. Miami vs. Peace On Earth vs. One Step Closer

WINNER: Mysterious Ways

Mysterious Ways wins this one without much of a fight. Lucky draw.

9. Another Time, Another Place vs. Stranger In a Strange Land vs. Surrender vs. Elvis Presley In America vs. One Tree Hill vs. Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World vs. Dirty Day vs. The Playboy Mansion vs. When I Look At The World vs. Crumbs From Your Table

WINNER: One Tree Hill

Finally, another tough call. Dirty Day and Crumbs both put up a good fight, but c'mon, it's friggen One Tree Hill people.

10. The Electric Co. vs. Scarlet vs. 40 vs. MLK vs. Exit vs. Ultraviolet vs. The Wanderer vs. If You Wear That Velvet Dress vs. New York vs. Original of the Species

WINNER: The Electric Co.

This has probably been the second most difficult call I've had to make so far. The Wanderer and Original of the Species are both two of my favorite songs, and I absolutely adore Ultraviolet, but The Electric Co. is easily the most energized, fun, exhilerating song they've ever recorded. The Vertigo Tour launched this track into my top 10 at least.

11. Shadows and Tall Trees vs. Is That All? vs. Mothers of the Disappeared vs. Acrobat vs. Please vs. Grace vs. Yahweh

WINNER: Acrobat

In my opininion there are no AMAZING songs in the above list, and Acrobat is probably the best, so there.

12. Love Is Blindness vs. Wake Up Dead Man vs. The Ground Beneath Her Feet vs. Fast Cars

WINNER: Love Is Blindness

Only four songs to choose from, technically two here in the states. Love Is Blindness is a bitchin' song.

GRAND TOTALS:

Boy = 1
October = 0
War = 0
The Unforgettable Fire = 1
The Joshua Tree = 5
Rattle and Hum = 1
Achtung Baby = 3
Zooropa = 1
Pop = 0
ATYCLB = 1
HTDAAB = 0

CONCLUSION:

This is a shitty way to compare albums (as if that really needed all this evidence anyway). Though, analyzing the results, we do indeed see that The Joshua Tree is indeed their best album, and Achtung Baby is easily their second best. Personally I always rank The Joshua Tree as #1, and this comparison reinforces the power of the Holy Trinity once and for all. (kinda). And I often swap Achtung and ATYCLB for positions 2 and 3 in my lists, and The Unforgettable Fire and Zooropa are solidly in 4 and 5.

So, despite this crappy comparison method, the results still more or less indicate my own person album rankings based on REAL qualities, not just song by song comparison. And If I wanted to spend another 2 hours on this, I would rank all the songs in each album in order of greatness, THEN compare each album song by song, but I've already wasted enough time doing this much...maybe I'll do it that way later. AND the way I introduced Rattle and Hum as an 8-track album sort of fucked up a couple results, but that's still the best way aside from completely excluding the album.

So, there you have it. Anyone else crazy enough to do the same? :macdevil:

Damn straight. And I just realized, that if anyone else wants to do this, they can just copy and paste all the specific track lists. :|

That was easily the most time-comsuming part of this. So c'mon peeps, give it a shot. :wink:

Ok, If I added VDL, here's what would change. Rattle and Hum would have no points, and ATYCLB would have 2 instead of 1, because of In A Little While taking the prize for track 6's.

Well then, I'll do it properly and people can copy my list. :wink:

1. I Will Follow vs Gloria vs Sunday Bloody Sunday vs A Sort Of Homecoming vs Where The Streets Have No Name vs Van Diemen's Land vs Zoo Station vs Zooropa vs Discotheque vs Beautiful Day vs Vertigo

Winner: Streets by a nose over ASOH. Do I even need to explain? We all know how Streets is an absolute classic.

2. Twilight vs I Fall Down vs Seconds vs Pride vs I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For vs Desire vs Even Better Than The Real Thing vs Babyface vs Do You Feel Loved vs Stuck In A Moment vs Miracle Drug

Winner: Twilight. What an absolute gem of a song! It's one of the best from Boy and full of energy.

3. An Cat Dubh vs I Threw A Brick Through A Window vs New Year's Day vs Wire vs With Or Without You vs Hawkmoon 269 vs One vs Numb vs Mofo vs Elevation vs Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

Winner: New Year's Day - soaring and incredible. Edge absolutely shines, and Adam's bass line is one of his most distinctively identifiable.

4. Into The Heart vs Rejoice vs Like A Song vs The Unforgettable Fire vs Bullet The Blue Sky vs Angel Of Harlem vs Until The End Of The World vs Lemon vs If God Will Send His Angels vs Walk On vs Love And Peace Or Else

Winner: The Unforgettable Fire, a sweeping, atmospheric masterpiece. Honourable mention to Like A Song.

5. Out Of Control vs Fire vs Drowning Man vs Promenade vs Running To Stand Still vs Love Rescue Me vs Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses vs Stay vs Staring At The Sun vs Kite vs City Of Blinding Lights

Winner: Promenade. Such a lovely, understated gem full of atmosphere.

6. Stories For Boys vs Tomorrow vs The Refugee vs 4th Of July vs Red Hill Mining Town vs When Love Comes To Town vs So Cruel vs Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car vs Last Night On Earth vs In A Little While vs All Because Of You

Winner: Red Hill Mining Town by a nose over Tomorrow. They are both absolute classics that are undeservedly overlooked. RHMT should have been JT's second big hit, not ISHFWILF.

7. The Ocean vs October vs Two Hearts Beat As One vs Bad vs In God's Country vs Heartland vs The Fly vs Some Days Are Better Than Others vs Gone vs Wild Honey vs A Man And A Woman

Winner: tie between Bad and Heartland, and huge honourable mentions to The Fly and Gone. Bad's an epic and everyone knows all about my love for Heartland. I refuse to pick.

8. A Day Without Me vs With A Shout vs Red Light vs Indian Summer Sky vs Trip Through Your Wires vs God Part II vs Mysterious Ways vs The First Time vs Miami vs Peace On Earth vs Crumbs From Your Table

Winner: God Part II, one of U2's strongest rockers, both musically and lyrically.

9. Another Time, Another Place vs Stranger In A Strange Land vs Surrender vs Elvis Presley And America vs One Tree Hill vs All I Want Is You vs Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World vs Dirty Day vs The Playboy Mansion vs When I Look At The World vs One Step Closer

Winner: One Tree Hill, U2's best song.

10. The Electric Co. vs Scarlet vs 40 vs MLK vs Exit vs Ultra Violet vs The Wanderer vs If You Wear That Velvet Dress vs New York vs Original Of The Species

Winner: The Electric Co., another fantastic rocker. Honourable mentions to the gorgeous and understated Scarlet and the lyrically strong Wanderer.

11. Shadows And Tall Trees vs Is That All? vs Mothers Of The Disappeared vs Acrobat vs Please vs Grace vs Yahweh

Winner: Acrobat, a masterpiece in all ways.

12. Love Is Blindness vs Wake Up Dead Man vs The Ground Beneath Her Feet vs Fast Cars

Winner: Wake Up Dead Man, for the depth of what's hidden in its music and Bono's incredibly strong lyrics, some of his best. Honourable mention to Love Is Blindness.

Some of those were really interesting comparisons. And I hope I made no mistakes :wink.:

Well, your only real obvious mistake is picking Twilight over the likes of Still Haven't Found, Do You Feel Loved, Desire, Pride, and Even Better Than The Real Thing. :wink:

Lancemc said:
Well, your only real obvious mistake is picking Twilight over the likes of Still Haven't Found, Do You Feel Loved, Desire, Pride, and Even Better Than The Real Thing. :wink:

Actually, I thought that one was pretty easy. ISHFWILF is way over-rated, it's my second-least favourite from JT; DYFL and EBTTRT are just an average album tracks with nothing to distinguish them; Desire is a decent single but didn't become great until the Lovetown live performances; and Pride is indeed great but Twilight better.

I think #1 and #7 are the hardest to choose.

It's funny how #7 seems starkly split between some of U2's best tracks and some of U2's worst. I think there was actually a thread here before HTDAAB's release about track seven's history and how it might turn out on the then new album.

We should start doing song by song album comparisons between bands now.

I vote for U2-Pop vs. R.E.M.-Up as the first one. :drool: The sparks! Just imagine!

Lancemc said:
We should start doing song by song album comparisons between bands now.

I vote for U2-Pop vs. R.E.M.-Up as the first one. :drool: The sparks! Just imagine!

:drool:

Aygo said:
We must not be talking about the same EBTTRT and DYFL, so... Yours must be from a different band that mine.

Or maybe I just have a different opinion to you. Funny how that works!

1. I Will Follow vs Gloria vs Sunday Bloody Sunday vs A Sort Of Homecoming vs Where The Streets Have No Name vs Van Diemen's Land vs Zoo Station vs Zooropa vs Discotheque vs Beautiful Day vs Vertigo

Winner: Beautiful Day, just ahead of Streets and I Will Follow

2. Twilight vs I Fall Down vs Seconds vs Pride vs I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For vs Desire vs Even Better Than The Real Thing vs Babyface vs Do You Feel Loved vs Stuck In A Moment vs Miracle Drug

Winner: Even Better Than The Real Thing, closely followed by Do You Feel Loved

3. An Cat Dubh vs I Threw A Brick Through A Window vs New Year's Day vs Wire vs With Or Without You vs Hawkmoon 269 vs One vs Numb vs Mofo vs Elevation vs Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

Winner: One, just. With Or Without You second.

4. Into The Heart vs Rejoice vs Like A Song vs The Unforgettable Fire vs Bullet The Blue Sky vs Angel Of Harlem vs Until The End Of The World vs Lemon vs If God Will Send His Angels vs Walk On vs Love And Peace Or Else

Winner: Until The End Of The World, just ahead of Walk On and Lemon.

5. Out Of Control vs Fire vs Drowning Man vs Promenade vs Running To Stand Still vs Love Rescue Me vs Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses vs Stay vs Staring At The Sun vs Kite vs City Of Blinding Lights

Winner: Ho-lee Shit! For the most part, an all star line up. 8 of my favourite songs are in here. Stay wins, but its almost an 8 way tie. Ask me again in a week and another song may win.

6. Stories For Boys vs Tomorrow vs The Refugee vs 4th Of July vs Red Hill Mining Town vs When Love Comes To Town vs So Cruel vs Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car vs Last Night On Earth vs In A Little While vs All Because Of You

Winner: Last Night On Earth, just ahead of Daddys Gonna Pay and Stories For Boys.

7. The Ocean vs October vs Two Hearts Beat As One vs Bad vs In God's Country vs Heartland vs The Fly vs Some Days Are Better Than Others vs Gone vs Wild Honey vs A Man And A Woman

Winner: We're doing this by album versions, not live versions. So Gone. Just ahead of The Fly. Studio Bad is terrible.

8. A Day Without Me vs With A Shout vs Red Light vs Indian Summer Sky vs Trip Through Your Wires vs God Part II vs Mysterious Ways vs The First Time vs Miami vs Peace On Earth vs Crumbs From Your Table

Winner: Mysterious Ways takes this, just ahead of The First Time. Special mention to Crumbs and God Part II.

9. Another Time, Another Place vs Stranger In A Strange Land vs Surrender vs Elvis Presley And America vs One Tree Hill vs All I Want Is You vs Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World vs Dirty Day vs The Playboy Mansion vs When I Look At The World vs One Step Closer

Winner: One Tree Hill no contest. The only song close is All I Want Is You.

10. The Electric Co. vs Scarlet vs 40 vs MLK vs Exit vs Ultra Violet vs The Wanderer vs If You Wear That Velvet Dress vs New York vs Original Of The Species

Winner: The Electric Co, just ahead of 40, Ultra Violet and New York.

11. Shadows And Tall Trees vs Is That All? vs Mothers Of The Disappeared vs Acrobat vs Please vs Grace vs Yahweh

Winner: Please.

12. Love Is Blindness vs Wake Up Dead Man vs The Ground Beneath Her Feet vs Fast Cars

Winner: The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Final Tally:

ATYCLB: 2
AB: 4
Zooropa: 1
Pop: 3
Boy: 1
Joshua Tree: 1

Re: Boy vs. October vs. War vs. The Unforgettable Fire vs. The Joshua Tree vs. etc. etc.

Ah, the mother of all song comparison threads. Ok -

1. Streets (and where is Van Diemen's land??) is hands down their best even opener.

2. Pride. I still haven't found... is very close but I felt the vocals are overly operatic on that one.

3. WOWY, with NYD not far behind. Some very strong songs in place 3, 4, 5 and 6 on U2's albums tracklistings.

4. UTEOTW, with Bullet closely following.

5. Tightest of all. Running to stand still, but Stay and Kite very, very close behind.

6. So cruel. But I also love IALW, Red hill mining town and Heartland - they just happened to be up against my no. 1 U2 song.

7. Bad. Come on.

8. A tie, AIWIY/First time. Looking at the songs like this, it's even more apparent why so often U2 albums falter at the tracklisting spots 7 and 8.

9. One tree hill.

10. Hmm. Wanderer but if we have to vote on a non collaboration I say OOTS.

11. Acrobat, but I also like Please and Mothers...

12. Love is blindness.

SCORES:

JT 4
AB 4
UF 2
Zooropa: 1,5
Rattle and Hum: 0,5

1. I Will Follow vs. Gloria vs. Sunday Bloody Sunday vs. A Sort of Homecoming vs. Where The Streets Have No Name vs. Desire vs. Zoo Station vs. Zooropa vs. Discotheque vs. Beautiful Day vs. Vertigo

WINNER: Zooropa The best U2 song and easily trumps any other openers.

2. Twilight vs. I Fall Down vs. Seconds vs. Pride vs. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For vs. Hawkmoon 269 vs. Even Better Than The Real Thing vs. Babyface vs. Do You Feel Loved vs. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of vs. Miracle Drug

WINNER: Do You Feel Loved. It owns you, me, and every other #2 on this list.

3. An Cat Dubh vs. I Threw A Brick Through A Window vs. New Years Day vs. Wire vs. With Or Without You vs. Angel of Harlem vs. One vs. Numb vs. MOFO vs. Elevation vs. Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own

WINNER: An Cat Dubh. An early masterpiece.

4. Into The Heart vs. Rejoice vs. Like A Song vs. The Unforgettable Fire vs. Bullet The Blue Sky vs. Love Rescue Me vs. Until The End of the World vs. Lemon vs. If God Will Send His Angels vs. Walk On vs. Love and Peace Or Else

WINNER: Lemon. Not a very good bunch though. :huh:

5. Out Of Control vs. Fire vs. Drowning Man vs. Promenade vs. Running To Stand Still vs. When Love Comes to Town vs. Whose Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses vs. Stay vs. Staring At The Sun vs. Kite vs. City of Blinding Lights

WINNER: Stay. A great set of songs here, but Stay is one of U2's best songs, period.

6. Stories For Boys vs. Tomorrow vs. The Refugee vs. 4th of July vs. Red Hill Mining Town vs. Heartland vs. So Cruel vs. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car vs. Last Night On Earth vs. In A Little While vs. All Because of You

WINNER: Red Hill Mining Town. It beats out all of the others because of its intensity and brilliant lyrics. (I feel sorry for So Cruel, LNOE, and AOBY though :sad: )

7. The Ocean vs. October vs. Two Hearts Beat As One vs. Bad vs. In God's Country vs. God Part II vs. The Fly vs. Some Days Are Better Than Others vs. Gone vs. Wild Honey vs. A Man And A Woman

WINNER: Some Days Are Better Than Others. A very strong bunch, but I will have to give my vote to, yes, the underdog. Humorous, relatable lyrics + best U2 bass riff ever + fuzzbox solo = :heart:

8. A Day Without Me vs. With A Shout vs. Red Light vs. Indian Summer Sky vs. Trip Through Your Wires vs. All I Want Is You vs. Mysterious Ways vs. The First Time vs. Miami vs. Peace On Earth vs. One Step Closer

WINNER: Mysterious Ways. I feel sorry for Trip here, but Mysterious Ways wins with its sizable amount of soul.

9. Another Time, Another Place vs. Stranger In a Strange Land vs. Surrender vs. Elvis Presley In America vs. One Tree Hill vs. Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World vs. Dirty Day vs. The Playboy Mansion vs. When I Look At The World vs. Crumbs From Your Table

WINNER: One Tree Hill. This one was very difficult, but OTH is genius.

10. The Electric Co. vs. Scarlet vs. 40 vs. MLK vs. Exit vs. Ultraviolet vs. The Wanderer vs. If You Wear That Velvet Dress vs. New York vs. Original of the Species

WINNER: The Electric Co. A brilliant performance from Edge here.

11. Shadows and Tall Trees vs. Is That All? vs. Mothers of the Disappeared vs. Acrobat vs. Please vs. Grace vs. Yahweh

WINNER: Please. This is a pretty weak bunch, and it wins because of its great lyrics.

12. Love Is Blindness vs. Wake Up Dead Man vs. The Ground Beneath Her Feet vs. Fast Cars

WINNER: Wake Up Dead Man. No question; this is one of U2's best songs.

Scores:

Zooropa - 4
Pop - 3
Boy - 2
JT - 2
AB - 1

Last edited:

Winner: Zooropa wins for me. A fabulous opening track and one of their finest moments.

Winner: ISHFWILF. I love it when U2 do catchy sing-a-longs at this is fine example. Just about beats Pride although the studio version of Pride is excellent.

Winner: With Or Without You. Beautiful song. Also the song that got me into U2 so i can't ignore it here.

Winner: Lemon all the way baby. Such a radical and brilliant change in sound. Honourable mentions to UTEOTW and The Unforgettable Fire

Winner: Ah this one is so difficult. Stay just about takes it but i love Promenade and Kite.

Winner: In A Little While. I love the guitar and the husky voice. the lyrics are a bit shit but the melody is great and that's what counts.

Winner: The Fly without a doubt. A real clash of the titans here but the studio version of The Fly is excellent as well as the live version. Bad and Heartland are ace but the fly takes the glory.

Winner: God Part II. Not a very strong category and God Part II is the best.

Winner: One Tree Hill easily.

Winner: Original of the species. Probably the best song on HTDAAB in terms of melody.

Winner: Acrobat. I would have said please but as we're going by studio versions then i think Acrobat is slightly superior.

Winner: Love Is Blindness, a fine way to end AB.

Final Scores.
JT: 3
AB: 3
Zooropa: 3
ATYCLB: 1
HTDAAB: 1
R and H: 1

I don't even have a winner, how boring!:madspit:

Back
Top Bottom