Boy vs. October vs. War vs. The Unforgettable Fire vs. The Joshua Tree vs. etc. etc. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2007, 09:01 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:57 PM
These kind of threads are sooo silly!

Old 01-03-2007, 09:01 PM   #22
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Aygo

Really?!
Yes, really.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-03-2007, 09:52 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Yes, really.
We must not be talking about the same EBTTRT and DYFL, so... Yours must be from a different band that mine.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:03 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:57 PM
EBTTRT and DYFL pwn most of U2's catalog!
Old 01-03-2007, 10:18 PM   #25
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Aygo
We must not be talking about the same EBTTRT and DYFL, so... Yours must be from a different band that mine.
Or maybe I just have a different opinion to you. Funny how that works!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-04-2007, 12:53 AM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:57 AM
1. I Will Follow vs Gloria vs Sunday Bloody Sunday vs A Sort Of Homecoming vs Where The Streets Have No Name vs Van Diemen's Land vs Zoo Station vs Zooropa vs Discotheque vs Beautiful Day vs Vertigo

Winner: Beautiful Day, just ahead of Streets and I Will Follow

2. Twilight vs I Fall Down vs Seconds vs Pride vs I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For vs Desire vs Even Better Than The Real Thing vs Babyface vs Do You Feel Loved vs Stuck In A Moment vs Miracle Drug

Winner: Even Better Than The Real Thing, closely followed by Do You Feel Loved

3. An Cat Dubh vs I Threw A Brick Through A Window vs New Year's Day vs Wire vs With Or Without You vs Hawkmoon 269 vs One vs Numb vs Mofo vs Elevation vs Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

Winner: One, just. With Or Without You second.

4. Into The Heart vs Rejoice vs Like A Song vs The Unforgettable Fire vs Bullet The Blue Sky vs Angel Of Harlem vs Until The End Of The World vs Lemon vs If God Will Send His Angels vs Walk On vs Love And Peace Or Else

Winner: Until The End Of The World, just ahead of Walk On and Lemon.

5. Out Of Control vs Fire vs Drowning Man vs Promenade vs Running To Stand Still vs Love Rescue Me vs Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses vs Stay vs Staring At The Sun vs Kite vs City Of Blinding Lights

Winner: Ho-lee Shit! For the most part, an all star line up. 8 of my favourite songs are in here. Stay wins, but its almost an 8 way tie. Ask me again in a week and another song may win.

6. Stories For Boys vs Tomorrow vs The Refugee vs 4th Of July vs Red Hill Mining Town vs When Love Comes To Town vs So Cruel vs Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car vs Last Night On Earth vs In A Little While vs All Because Of You

Winner: Last Night On Earth, just ahead of Daddys Gonna Pay and Stories For Boys.

7. The Ocean vs October vs Two Hearts Beat As One vs Bad vs In God's Country vs Heartland vs The Fly vs Some Days Are Better Than Others vs Gone vs Wild Honey vs A Man And A Woman

Winner: We're doing this by album versions, not live versions. So Gone. Just ahead of The Fly. Studio Bad is terrible.

8. A Day Without Me vs With A Shout vs Red Light vs Indian Summer Sky vs Trip Through Your Wires vs God Part II vs Mysterious Ways vs The First Time vs Miami vs Peace On Earth vs Crumbs From Your Table

Winner: Mysterious Ways takes this, just ahead of The First Time. Special mention to Crumbs and God Part II.

9. Another Time, Another Place vs Stranger In A Strange Land vs Surrender vs Elvis Presley And America vs One Tree Hill vs All I Want Is You vs Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World vs Dirty Day vs The Playboy Mansion vs When I Look At The World vs One Step Closer

Winner: One Tree Hill no contest. The only song close is All I Want Is You.

10. The Electric Co. vs Scarlet vs 40 vs MLK vs Exit vs Ultra Violet vs The Wanderer vs If You Wear That Velvet Dress vs New York vs Original Of The Species

Winner: The Electric Co, just ahead of 40, Ultra Violet and New York.

11. Shadows And Tall Trees vs Is That All? vs Mothers Of The Disappeared vs Acrobat vs Please vs Grace vs Yahweh

Winner: Please.

12. Love Is Blindness vs Wake Up Dead Man vs The Ground Beneath Her Feet vs Fast Cars

Winner: The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Final Tally:

ATYCLB: 2
AB: 4
Zooropa: 1
Pop: 3
Boy: 1
Joshua Tree: 1
Old 01-04-2007, 07:38 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:57 PM
Re: Boy vs. October vs. War vs. The Unforgettable Fire vs. The Joshua Tree vs. etc. etc.

Ah, the mother of all song comparison threads. Ok -

1. Streets (and where is Van Diemen's land??) is hands down their best even opener.

2. Pride. I still haven't found... is very close but I felt the vocals are overly operatic on that one.

3. WOWY, with NYD not far behind. Some very strong songs in place 3, 4, 5 and 6 on U2's albums tracklistings.

4. UTEOTW, with Bullet closely following.

5. Tightest of all. Running to stand still, but Stay and Kite very, very close behind.

6. So cruel. But I also love IALW, Red hill mining town and Heartland - they just happened to be up against my no. 1 U2 song.

7. Bad. Come on.

8. A tie, AIWIY/First time. Looking at the songs like this, it's even more apparent why so often U2 albums falter at the tracklisting spots 7 and 8.

9. One tree hill.

10. Hmm. Wanderer but if we have to vote on a non collaboration I say OOTS.

11. Acrobat, but I also like Please and Mothers...

12. Love is blindness.

SCORES:

JT 4
AB 4
UF 2
Zooropa: 1,5
Rattle and Hum: 0,5
Old 01-04-2007, 07:56 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Or maybe I just have a different opinion to you. Funny how that works!
Ok dude. Take the bike, I'll take the wheels.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:45 PM   #29
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 05:57 AM
1. I Will Follow vs. Gloria vs. Sunday Bloody Sunday vs. A Sort of Homecoming vs. Where The Streets Have No Name vs. Desire vs. Zoo Station vs. Zooropa vs. Discotheque vs. Beautiful Day vs. Vertigo

WINNER: Zooropa The best U2 song and easily trumps any other openers.

2. Twilight vs. I Fall Down vs. Seconds vs. Pride vs. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For vs. Hawkmoon 269 vs. Even Better Than The Real Thing vs. Babyface vs. Do You Feel Loved vs. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of vs. Miracle Drug

WINNER: Do You Feel Loved. It owns you, me, and every other #2 on this list.

3. An Cat Dubh vs. I Threw A Brick Through A Window vs. New Years Day vs. Wire vs. With Or Without You vs. Angel of Harlem vs. One vs. Numb vs. MOFO vs. Elevation vs. Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own

WINNER: An Cat Dubh. An early masterpiece.

4. Into The Heart vs. Rejoice vs. Like A Song vs. The Unforgettable Fire vs. Bullet The Blue Sky vs. Love Rescue Me vs. Until The End of the World vs. Lemon vs. If God Will Send His Angels vs. Walk On vs. Love and Peace Or Else

WINNER: Lemon. Not a very good bunch though.

5. Out Of Control vs. Fire vs. Drowning Man vs. Promenade vs. Running To Stand Still vs. When Love Comes to Town vs. Whose Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses vs. Stay vs. Staring At The Sun vs. Kite vs. City of Blinding Lights

WINNER: Stay. A great set of songs here, but Stay is one of U2's best songs, period.

6. Stories For Boys vs. Tomorrow vs. The Refugee vs. 4th of July vs. Red Hill Mining Town vs. Heartland vs. So Cruel vs. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car vs. Last Night On Earth vs. In A Little While vs. All Because of You

WINNER: Red Hill Mining Town. It beats out all of the others because of its intensity and brilliant lyrics. (I feel sorry for So Cruel, LNOE, and AOBY though )

7. The Ocean vs. October vs. Two Hearts Beat As One vs. Bad vs. In God's Country vs. God Part II vs. The Fly vs. Some Days Are Better Than Others vs. Gone vs. Wild Honey vs. A Man And A Woman

WINNER: Some Days Are Better Than Others. A very strong bunch, but I will have to give my vote to, yes, the underdog. Humorous, relatable lyrics + best U2 bass riff ever + fuzzbox solo =

8. A Day Without Me vs. With A Shout vs. Red Light vs. Indian Summer Sky vs. Trip Through Your Wires vs. All I Want Is You vs. Mysterious Ways vs. The First Time vs. Miami vs. Peace On Earth vs. One Step Closer

WINNER: Mysterious Ways. I feel sorry for Trip here, but Mysterious Ways wins with its sizable amount of soul.

9. Another Time, Another Place vs. Stranger In a Strange Land vs. Surrender vs. Elvis Presley In America vs. One Tree Hill vs. Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World vs. Dirty Day vs. The Playboy Mansion vs. When I Look At The World vs. Crumbs From Your Table

WINNER: One Tree Hill. This one was very difficult, but OTH is genius.

10. The Electric Co. vs. Scarlet vs. 40 vs. MLK vs. Exit vs. Ultraviolet vs. The Wanderer vs. If You Wear That Velvet Dress vs. New York vs. Original of the Species

WINNER: The Electric Co. A brilliant performance from Edge here.

11. Shadows and Tall Trees vs. Is That All? vs. Mothers of the Disappeared vs. Acrobat vs. Please vs. Grace vs. Yahweh

WINNER: Please. This is a pretty weak bunch, and it wins because of its great lyrics.

12. Love Is Blindness vs. Wake Up Dead Man vs. The Ground Beneath Her Feet vs. Fast Cars

WINNER: Wake Up Dead Man. No question; this is one of U2's best songs.

Scores:

Zooropa - 4
Pop - 3
Boy - 2
JT - 2
AB - 1
Old 01-04-2007, 05:32 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie

1. I Will Follow vs Gloria vs Sunday Bloody Sunday vs A Sort Of Homecoming vs Where The Streets Have No Name vs Van Diemen's Land vs Zoo Station vs Zooropa vs Discotheque vs Beautiful Day vs Vertigo

Winner: Zooropa wins for me. A fabulous opening track and one of their finest moments.

2. Twilight vs I Fall Down vs Seconds vs Pride vs I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For vs Desire vs Even Better Than The Real Thing vs Babyface vs Do You Feel Loved vs Stuck In A Moment vs Miracle Drug

Winner: ISHFWILF. I love it when U2 do catchy sing-a-longs at this is fine example. Just about beats Pride although the studio version of Pride is excellent.

3. An Cat Dubh vs I Threw A Brick Through A Window vs New Year's Day vs Wire vs With Or Without You vs Hawkmoon 269 vs One vs Numb vs Mofo vs Elevation vs Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

Winner: With Or Without You. Beautiful song. Also the song that got me into U2 so i can't ignore it here.

4. Into The Heart vs Rejoice vs Like A Song vs The Unforgettable Fire vs Bullet The Blue Sky vs Angel Of Harlem vs Until The End Of The World vs Lemon vs If God Will Send His Angels vs Walk On vs Love And Peace Or Else

Winner: Lemon all the way baby. Such a radical and brilliant change in sound. Honourable mentions to UTEOTW and The Unforgettable Fire

5. Out Of Control vs Fire vs Drowning Man vs Promenade vs Running To Stand Still vs Love Rescue Me vs Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses vs Stay vs Staring At The Sun vs Kite vs City Of Blinding Lights

Winner: Ah this one is so difficult. Stay just about takes it but i love Promenade and Kite.

6. Stories For Boys vs Tomorrow vs The Refugee vs 4th Of July vs Red Hill Mining Town vs When Love Comes To Town vs So Cruel vs Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car vs Last Night On Earth vs In A Little While vs All Because Of You

Winner: In A Little While. I love the guitar and the husky voice. the lyrics are a bit shit but the melody is great and that's what counts.

7. The Ocean vs October vs Two Hearts Beat As One vs Bad vs In God's Country vs Heartland vs The Fly vs Some Days Are Better Than Others vs Gone vs Wild Honey vs A Man And A Woman

Winner: The Fly without a doubt. A real clash of the titans here but the studio version of The Fly is excellent as well as the live version. Bad and Heartland are ace but the fly takes the glory.

8. A Day Without Me vs With A Shout vs Red Light vs Indian Summer Sky vs Trip Through Your Wires vs God Part II vs Mysterious Ways vs The First Time vs Miami vs Peace On Earth vs Crumbs From Your Table

Winner: God Part II. Not a very strong category and God Part II is the best.

9. Another Time, Another Place vs Stranger In A Strange Land vs Surrender vs Elvis Presley And America vs One Tree Hill vs All I Want Is You vs Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World vs Dirty Day vs The Playboy Mansion vs When I Look At The World vs One Step Closer

Winner: One Tree Hill easily.

10. The Electric Co. vs Scarlet vs 40 vs MLK vs Exit vs Ultra Violet vs The Wanderer vs If You Wear That Velvet Dress vs New York vs Original Of The Species

Winner: Original of the species. Probably the best song on HTDAAB in terms of melody.

11. Shadows And Tall Trees vs Is That All? vs Mothers Of The Disappeared vs Acrobat vs Please vs Grace vs Yahweh

Winner: Acrobat. I would have said please but as we're going by studio versions then i think Acrobat is slightly superior.

12. Love Is Blindness vs Wake Up Dead Man vs The Ground Beneath Her Feet vs Fast Cars

Winner: Love Is Blindness, a fine way to end AB.

Final Scores.
JT: 3
AB: 3
Zooropa: 3
ATYCLB: 1
HTDAAB: 1
R and H: 1

I don't even have a winner, how boring!
Old 01-04-2007, 11:08 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:57 AM
I applaud the effort you have put into this. Although I don't agree with some of your "winners", the spirit behind it is good. But, this thread screams of "needing to get out more often". Or on the total flip flop, you've imbibed something and you haven't shared it with the rest of us. It's the second one, right?
Old 01-04-2007, 11:54 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:57 AM

Winner: BEAUTIFUL DAY

Winner: MIRACLE DRUG

Winner: ONE

Winner: UNTIL THE END OF THE WORLD

Winner: CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS

Winner: WHEN LOVE COMES TO TOWN

Winner: BAD

Winner: MYSTERIOUS WAYS

Winner: WHEN I LOOK AT THE WORLD

Winner: 40

Winner: ACROBAT

Winner: LOVE IS BLINDNESS

Boy- 0
October- 0
War- 1
The Unforgettable Fire- 1
The Joshua Tree- 0
Rattle And Hum- 1
Achtung Baby- 5
Zooropa- 0
Pop- 0
ATYCLB- 2
HTDAAB- 2
Old 01-05-2007, 01:20 AM   #33
The Fly

Winner: Streets- easy. This song is just magical.

Winner: Miracle Drug - i didn't think that a song could even come close to moving me like streets does until I listened to this song in my garage when HTDAAB leaked. The riff, the lyrics, the melody, the heartbreaking solo with bono and larry's backing vocals, the second solo and edge's verse... WOW. (Honourable mentions to DYFL and Seconds)

Winner: With or Without You.... ask me again tomorrow and It'll be NYD or One or maybe even SYCMIOYO but after seeing this live I've really grown to appreciate its power again

Winner: Walk On - this song turned me into a U2 fan and made me (finally) buy ATYCLB... however I am absolutely in love with the single version of IGWSHA and Lemon... oh, and UTEOTW is genius

Winner: Promenade... I have a fetish for Promenade. I remember standing on a cliff by the sea listening to it in the rain one day on the day i got The Unforgettable Fire... incredibly moving experience for me(albeit completely unrelated to this thread).

Winner: In A Little While (Take that Axver!)

Winner: Bad because it is incredibly powerful... the riff, the lyrics, the buildup... sonically beautiful. It's a real shame that it nudges out Heartland/Gone/The Fly though.

Winner: Crumbs... though for some bizarre reason I'm tempted to choose A Day Without Me

Winner: When I Look At The World... though after NZ One Tree Hill might just be up there for me

Winner: Ultraviolet... the beginning of an incredible trilogy... I never thought a song with "baby" so many times could be so good

Winner: Acrobat... again, Please and Yahweh are incredible, but Acrobat is handsdown a masterpiece

Winner: Love is Blindness

Boy- 0
October- 0
War- 0
The Unforgettable Fire- 2
The Joshua Tree- 2
Rattle And Hum- 0
Achtung Baby- 3
Zooropa- 0
Pop- 0
ATYCLB- 3
HTDAAB- 2