BOSTON DVD: Why does Bono play rythmn guitar on I Will Follow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He can play very minimal guitar...like People Get Ready and things like that but nobody ever said he was an extreme guitar talent but he does like to collect guitars I hear....maybe you can ask Dallas about all your consipracy theories....whatever keeps you guys entertained. I remember also hearing that Bono plays the guitar on Dancing Barefoot and a few other things as well...but never anything too complex.

he does... hell.. listen to Stay on the ZooTV DVD or video... and in The Fly he DOES play :mad:

I learned guitar thanks to him and Stay on the Zoo video... :sad:

and he does look all bad ass / Elvis like in the Boston I Will Follow... in fact, that's the best version of that song I've ever heard... is by far the most rock and roll performance of them in a long time

I think any notion that he only wears it to look cool or take a break from having to walk around is pretty foolish. If he's wearing it then it's for a reason - he's playing it.:bono:

bonocomet said:
At least he can play the guitar. I wish I could.

It takes about one week of training to be able to play at Bono's level. Go for it.

I can play all of Bono's guitar parts from playing my neighbors guitar a couple of hours a year. :|

Bono played more guitar in the late 80's and 90's. He recently commented he wished he played guitar more, which just proves the old saying, if you don't use it, you lose it.
I do know that he is instrumental in writing many of the guitar pieces in U2 songs, as Edge and Bono have stated. He's very musical.

Bono's guitar playing almost always throws me off. His strumming pattern (when he actually plays and it is discernable) is often times very erratic and different. Sometimes it almost seems as off-beat, yet it still fits. I think this is clearly the mark of an virtuoso ;)

bono definitly plays guitar on i will follow during elevation. its not just for show. he doesnt do much, but he enjoys plucking one string from time to time during the main guitar riff.

Earnie Shavers said:

I thought the fact that it was Dallas was common knowledge? Watch The Fly on the ZooTV DVD. On the VHS the second guitar is too quiet, on the DVD it's crystal clear. The camera spends a lot of time up close on Bono. Watch how miraculously his guitar still plays after he moves his hand/s away from it, or how it's playing full chords while he is only lightly touching one string with one finger. Clever trick.
You're making Jesus cry! :sad:

I can't remember where I heard it but he said Flood is the only person who likes his guitar playing.

It's always annoyed me a bit, him having a guitar round his neck but never using it till the end when he plays a few noted for 5 seconds...

That performance of I Will Follow is the best I have come across.

LMBLover said:

:drool: :drool: I agree. That performance is spellbinding: the guitar, the stage running the intensity, the lyrics, Bono looking over his shoulder...and the intro don't even get me started. it's perfect. Okay I'm done:wink:

Or when Bono grabs a fan by the wrist and bites it and then starts convulsing to the music with the flashing lights in the background. :rockon: :drool: Oh man the Boston dvd performance walks all over any other Fly performance. Even the Zoo Tv one.

Okay, it'd been a while since I watched I Will Follow on the Boston DVD (actually, when I first saw this thread, I didn't even have any memory of Bono playing guitar on it in the first place), so I decided to watch it.

...:eyebrow:

Bono, don't ever do that again :| Seeing you play on a song you have no business playing on seriously freaks me out. When I Wil Follow is playing, I expect to see you jumping around like your usual self, not with some weird guitar.

But as for Bono's guitar playing in general... I like to watch and count how many picks he drops :D

Also, while we're discussing The Fly on Boston (since it's the greatest thing in the history of ever), I have a bit of a question. At the end of the song, Bono gets up on the rail, and then jumps into the crowd. How the hell did he escape that without being mauled to death? :ohmy:

U2Man said:

It takes about one week of training to be able to play at Bono's level. Go for it.

It's sad because it's true. :( LOOK GUYS I CAN PLAY THE D CHORD!!!!!

DreamOutLoud13 said:

Also, while we're discussing The Fly on Boston (since it's the greatest thing in the history of ever), I have a bit of a question. At the end of the song, Bono gets up on the rail, and then jumps into the crowd. How the hell did he escape that without being mauled to death? :ohmy:

Security. Same guys supporting him when he's doing the "in my dreams I was drowning my sorrows" thing in UTETW when he leans over the rail, and holds a fan's hand.

An Cat Gav said:
Does Bono ever really need to be holding the guitar on stage? I'm sure he never plays it and if he does it's hardly neccessary as it adds nothing.

Actually, there are some examples from Lovetown where Bono does add some guitar stuff to All Along The Watchtower and All I Want Is You. It's a tad above his usual level of guitar playing and I wish he'd pursued it a bit more instead of devolving to pseudo-playing like on I Will Follow.

Back
Top Bottom