Boston DVD on VHS- Finally!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
It sure took me awhile but I finally found the Boston show on VHS yesterday at Best Buy! I know Unforgettable Lemon got it way back at Christmastime at some local store, but this is the first I've seen of it on the shelf. Yippee! :happy: Anybody else got one or is looking for one?

Cool! It was NOT easy to find!!! I found a copy in March at FYE...when the DVD first came out, Best Buy told me they would not be carrying it in VHS and told me to go elsewhere...but now I see it there.

:scratch: hmmmm, that's funny. It was very easy to find here...

*not ashamed to admit she owns the video rather than the DVD because she has YET to own an actual DVD player*

I thought I was the only other person who didn't have a DVD player! We should start a club! *lol* :D

You guys are lucky! I have been trying to find the VHS or DVD here were I live and it is nowhere. I have been wanting to get it ever since they release the DVD, but none of the stores in my area sell it.:(

This is really odd. I've had a DVD player for a while (actually have a few - they are cheap now, as low as $60!), so I bought the DVD version. However, I've seen the VHS version of the video in Best Buy for some time now. I saw it in the Best Buy's in the Boston area as well as in the New Haven area.

Amazon.com has the VHS. At least it did a month or so ago when I finally decided I was not going to be able to buy a DVD player in the very near future and bought the VHS instead. If you can't find it in town, get it online. :D

:heart: :scratch: :confused: :idea: :up: I hope so anyway.
I so look forward to the day I see that concert, have to make it a very special occassion.

I'm happy to have a VHS copy! DVD players aren't all that much now, but the thought of having to replace my entire movie collection is overwhelming. That's what they want you do though, just like in the late 80's when everything switched from beta to vhs and from vinyl to CD. I honestly believe the industry does this every few years so we will have to rebuy everything and stimulate their economy. I remember back in the late 70's when I had an 8 track in my car, and you couldn't find 8 tracks anymore. Finally they even quit selling the blank ones. They wanted you to switch to cassettes. Back in the days when CD's were taking over, the industry would claim everyone preferred them, but when I went to record stores looking for RECORDS the workers would tell me that the fans were still demanding vinyl like crazy and it was the record companies that were slowly phasing them out, so I think my theory is correct. It gets to the point where they put less and less titles on that format, and you are eventually forced to switch over. I hope that doesn't happen with VHS but I bet it will.

But the Boston show is great, on VHS or DVD.

GypsyHeartgirl said:
I'm happy to have a VHS copy! DVD players aren't all that much now, but the thought of having to replace my entire movie collection is overwhelming. That's what they want you do though, just like in the late 80's when everything switched from beta to vhs and from vinyl to CD. I honestly believe the industry does this every few years so we will have to rebuy everything and stimulate their economy. I remember back in the late 70's when I had an 8 track in my car, and you couldn't find 8 tracks anymore. Finally they even quit selling the blank ones. They wanted you to switch to cassettes. Back in the days when CD's were taking over, the industry would claim everyone preferred them, but when I went to record stores looking for RECORDS the workers would tell me that the fans were still demanding vinyl like crazy and it was the record companies that were slowly phasing them out, so I think my theory is correct. It gets to the point where they put less and less titles on that format, and you are eventually forced to switch over. I hope that doesn't happen with VHS but I bet it will.

But the Boston show is great, on VHS or DVD.

My view is very different than yours Gypsy, yet I am just a few years shy of your age. To prove this, I still have a functional 8-track *recorder* hooked up to my stereo system - and I have several blank 8-track tapes! :lol:

I was more than happy to get CD's over vinyl. When I was a teen collecting music in the 70's and 80's, I often wanted to hear only select songs on an album. Additionally, I may have wanted to repeat one song over and over or I wanted to change the order of songs on an album. While there were claims that certain turntables could attempt to do this type of programming, I never owned one and never heard anything good about those players. Vinyl wears down rather quickly (unless you have an outstanding turntable - something I have now, but not when I was younger) and I just couldn't program the songs like I wanted. Then, along came CD and I was thrilled. It featured everything I always wanted on vinyl, yet the CD was smaller, the sound was clearer and it didn't wear down.

The same holds true for DVD's. I've had VHS tapes that have broken or have become warped after just a few plays. Often the quality will degrade after a few years. Due to space limitations on VHS, there are a limited number of extras (if any) and I can't easily jump to a favorite scene in a movie. With a DVD, I get loads of extras - always great to see with my favorite movies. The sound and picture are so much better and the ease of jumping to favorite scenes is incredible. Just like with CD's, I find DVD's very worthwhile.

HOWEVER, I did not replace my entire album or VHS collection with CD's or DVD's, respectively. There were a few token albums or VHS tapes I replaced with a DVD - usually because the original album or tape needed to be replaced or because I loved that particular album or movie so much, I wanted the benefits of the higher quality sound and/or picture. But if I were to replace every single VHS tape or album I own, I'd be in even more debt than I am now. ;)

The comparison of replacing VHS with DVD to replacing Beta with VHS fails because the Beta and VHS formats were released very close to each other. Most people argue that Beta was a better format, yet for some reason VHS caught on. I'm not sure why. But I don't think this was an attempt by the industry to get everyone to buy VHS after buying Beta. Rather, I saw it as two very different formats competing simultaneously, with VHS winning.

I admit, sometimes it does seem like the industry comes out with new formats to stimulate their own economies. However, the difference between album and CD as well as VHS and DVD are dramatic. I've heard rumors that something slightly better than a DVD will soon come out. This new format is supposed to have even better digital sound, picture, more disk room, etc. To me, this format, if these rumors are true, will fail - much like the laser disc did. Having something *slightly* better will not win over the consumers. VHS to DVD is dramatically better. VHS to cumbersome laser discs was not. Analogously, DVD to a slightly better DVD is also not a tremendous improvement. Still, I'm sure the industry will try to launch this item in order to further stimulate their own pocketbooks.

In any event, get yourself that DVD player. They are as cheap as $59! And don't worry about replacing your VHS collection. Just buy new movies on DVD. Trust me - after you start watching DVD's you'll understand. :yes:

Last edited:
I am watching/taping the Boston show on ABC Family right now. I already have the DVD, but I don't have a DVD player in my room, so I thought this would come in handy.

originally posted by doctorwho:

Most people argue that Beta was a better format, yet for some reason VHS caught on. I'm not sure why

I have an interesting theory on this. I know a guy who sold electronics at Circuit City in the 80's. He said he believed the reason that VHS overtook beta though beta was a better format was just a glitch. He said that as people came in looking for VCR's, many of them got the term "VCR" mixed up with "VHS" and asked for "a VHS" thinking it was just a VCR, or a beta, or had no idea there was any difference. Over time, as more VHSs sold, the betas faded out. He said he really thought that was it.

About CD's holding up, well mine don't. For a long time they did, but now I'm noticing sticking places in them just like an old scratched record, and they are harder to skip over the bad spot without missing a lot of the song. With record players all you had to do was kind of punch it and it would move past the skip to the next word of the song. I have also had them stepped on and cracked just like records. They really aren't as durable as they claimed, at least not anymore.

I haven't really had any problems with my CDs...Yet. Oh, but cassettes were horrible! About 1/3 of my cassettes were ruined in no time and I'd either have to buy a new one or do without.

wertsie said:
I haven't really had any problems with my CDs...Yet. Oh, but cassettes were horrible! About 1/3 of my cassettes were ruined in no time and I'd either have to buy a new one or do without.

Arg cassettes! :mad: They break so easy! They get stuck once and break. I tried to tape them back together but they sound weird. They also seem to get lost easier than anything else. I regret ever investing money in storebought cassettes I bought thinking I was saving a few bucks, but they are lost and gone and the CD's I bought are mostly still around. I've had better luck with records and videotapes than cassettes. Even the homeade ones I recorded myself were no good, and some things I'd taped off the radio were gone for good and irreplaceble.:(

Yeah, the only thing I use cassettes for now is to make mixed tapes to listen to in my car and on my walkman...those are pretty cheap and I like mixing the tapes, so it's not too bad.

doctorwho said:
Beta and VHS formats were released very close to each other. Most people argue that Beta was a better format, yet for some reason VHS caught on. I'm not sure why.

me either. of course, i was a baby at the time when beta and vhs became all the rage and cheap enough for the average person to own, and my mom wanted us to buy a beta player. in fact, my aunt even bought one. but my dad said no, wait about a year or so. true enough to form, beta died out and we bought a vcr in 84 or 85. in fact, we owned the same vcr up until 1993!

anyway, a couple months ago i asked my dad about beta tapes (is that what you'd call them? they were gone by the time i was old enough to remember, when i started buying stuff you had vhs or laserdisc, which i thankfully never bought) and why they were so short-lived. i've only seen a picture of a beta cover, i have no idea what these tapes look like or anything, and my dad even told me beta sounded better. but, like you said, for some reason, people decided to buy vhs instead.

were vhs tapes cheaper than beta, or more easily accessible? i so wish i was just a couple years older sometimes, so i would've at least been old enough to have seen beta, 8 tracks, etc.

edit: i remember how sucky cassettes were, too. i wore out a lot of tapes as a kid. of course, in retrospect, it was a good thing. stuff like new kids on the block and wham. :rolleyes:

but more recently, i only had fleetwood mac's greatest hits on tape, and i wore the thing to death by playing it for like a month straight. at least now that i have it on cd, i can do this to that cd or any other one, and not have to worry about any major damage. i still think vinyl is better though, although not nearly as portable.

Last edited:
DUH i forgot the original point of my post. anyway, for those of you who have a best buy in town, you might want to try their website. you can order stuff online, and pick it up in the store or have it shipped to you. circuit city does the same thing. i'm not sure how it works (like if you pay for shipping if it's sent to a store, or if you pay in advance) since i've never used it before, but for those of you who can't seem to find it on vhs, it might be worth a shot. :)

too bad BETA didn't take off believe it or not.. it is a FAR superior format (looks more than twice as good as the best VHS)....

Many TV stations still use BETA.. but many are switching over to digital BETA or other digial formats...

Okay.. that's my 'dork' comment for the day....

*keeping you informed- me*

Back
Top Bottom