Bono's White Armband at the Grammy's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adam3000

Acrobat
Bono's White Armband at the Grammy's?
Can anyone tell me what Bono's white armband was all about at the grammy's? Is it a call to peace in the world? I saw in the yahoo photos it had writing on it, but I couldn't make it out. Anyone?

It said 'Make Povery History' on it - they are a charity fronted by Richard Curtis who have launched the white wrist bands initiative. It is concerned with raising awareness of the crisis in Africa and alot of high profile celebrities are involved with it. The speech Nelson Mandela made last week in Trafalger Square was related to it, as was the Band Aid 20 venture (in the publicity photos, all the artists can be seen sporting white bands around their arms).

www.makepovertyhistory.com will tell you more :up:

Last edited:
NOOOO not again....

first a YELLOW band (Armstron, LiveStrong, against cancer)
and in the netherlands we already have:

ORANGE: respect2all
PURPLE: hope
RED-WHITE-BLUE: when you're proud of your country (I hate this one especially)
PINK (against breast cancer)
GREEN (Westland, a part of the netherlands)
RED (against violence)
BLUE (for Sri Lanka)

and now WHITE against poverty

Sorry to say, but I hate this shit and this HYPE

Fortunately for you, there's a brown armband for people sick of this shit.

my daughter Daisy has the livstrong band. she wears it proudly knowing she supports the cause to fight cancer.

whether its a trend or not...why not. as long as you support the cause...shouldnt matter.

I applaud Bono for his work, but I have a question:

What are the liberals going to do when poverty becomes history and Africa becomes prosperous through capitalism (more polluting cars and factories, more evil corporations, more militaries, etc.)?

My stepmom had breast cancer two years ago. She gave my family yellow livestrong bracelets to wear. It means something to us to wear them. It might mean something to a lot of people that wear them, so too bad for those of you that are "sick" of it. Don't wear one.

:madspit:

drhark said:

What are the liberals going to do when poverty becomes history and Africa becomes prosperous through capitalism (more polluting cars and factories, more evil corporations, more militaries, etc.)?

So are you saying it is bad to be prosperous? Geez, lets all change our lives and live in poverty then. :rolleyes:

drhark said:

Seriously though, perhaps Africa will end up with fresh ideas to avoid polluting cars, factories, evil corporations, etc. and teach us something.

I wonder what Bono would think of some of the comments in this discussion. :ohmy:

drhark said:

I guess you can take a person out of FYM, but not the bloody irritating adversarial FYM attitude out of the person. :|

If I believe in the causes of my heros (Lance, Bono, +others), I try to support them. I got my LiveStrong band last year during the tour. Then at the end of this last year I got a blue one here in the states to support the Hendrick Marrow program. And now with Sian and everything it makes me feel better just doing the little I can. The Hendrick Marrow program is to help the National Marrow Donor Program after the founder was diagnosed with leukemia.

Now as soon as I can get a white one I will. It's just a little to pay, and if everyone does it it can do so much good. Yeah it's become trendy. Thats one thing I really hate about them all, especially as I got my LiveStrong band so early. The whole wristband craze really is pretty lame. But I'm glad to support the good noble causes. Just think, in 15 years VH1 will be doing their "I Love 2004" and one of the spotlights will be the wristband craze.

Last edited:
I didn't even know there was an arm/wristband craze ... Bono's is the first that I'd seen. Shows how out of touch I am with everything.

drhark said:

Don't you worry, love. As long as there are conservatives there will always be poverty.

Back
Top Bottom