Bono's voice Wave of Sorrow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdelbove

Acrobat
I am realy loving Wave of Sorrow the song alone was worth me buying the super delux edition Joshua tree or whatever its called for $49.

I am impressed with Bono's voice on the song. His voice sounds very different that it has sounded in the past few years. His style is changing it seems. His voice sounds rich, full and deep. He realy has gained back alot of the character and emotion in his voice. On this track his voice has a kind of elequence that he hasnt had in a long time. Just the way he sings the verses u can hear the difference. If the is a preview of how his voice will sound on the new album then this is realy good news as he has held onto his Vertigo tour voice and is experimenting with his singing style.

His singing realy sounds different that on the HTDAAB which still was good but it sounds like he has taken it to the next levle. This official new U2 track since the vertigo tour realy showcases his post vertigo tour voice and the fact that his voice is always changing and this time for the better

Yeah, if U listen 2 the song he did w/ Stevie Wonder as well.... Bono's continuing to mature in2 an even better singer in the last few years. Interesting what the future may hold....

Well the song is realy intressting. Bonos voice is very different. He got a different sound in his voice, for an example the line "You're my bride, you wear her crown ".

Sometimes it sounds like he uses his voice to sing the words just like he did on the JT era and also with a little JT sound in his voice. I also hear little of the 94-95 voice, it sounds like he has smoke more in the latest months.
Im realy impressed with high "waaaaaaaaaaave" note.
I think he was a little shaky in the voice when he recorded the song, but that gave the song an even more personal sound. A new voice moment.

Im realy looking forward to hear more of his voice on the new album.

I don't have any instrument at home right now, anyone here who can check how high the "waaaaaaave" note is? :)

Last edited:
jeez petrr you really get into Bono's voice haha..no sorry I do not have one here either at the moment

My copy still hasn't come, so I have yet to listen to this properly, but......

...I was under the impression that Bono recently "added" lyrics to the song. This, to me, means that there were some lyrics recorded by 1987 Bono, and there are now some recorded by 2007 Bono--hence the differences that Peter points out. In the video on u2.com, the most striking difference to me was the rap part at the end--that seemed so much more like new Bono.

All that said, I'll give it a proper listen when my copy comes...

Utoo said:
My copy still hasn't come, so I have yet to listen to this properly, but......

...I was under the impression that Bono recently "added" lyrics to the song. This, to me, means that there were some lyrics recorded by 1987 Bono, and there are now some recorded by 2007 Bono--hence the differences that Peter points out. In the video on u2.com, the most striking difference to me was the rap part at the end--that seemed so much more like new Bono.

All that said, I'll give it a proper listen when my copy comes...

I can garantee to 100% that all vocals on waves of sorrow is recorded 2007 by Bono. I don't hear anything of Bonos real 86-87 voice on that song :)

Last edited:
I think this is present day Bono singing on JT material, that is why he may sound a bit different.

I hope this song will be performed live, the
"waaaaaaaaaave" note would be extended also if we know Bono :)

I wounder if the special sound he got on this song ever can be created live again. Maybe it was just like when they recorded One, IALW?

Back
Top Bottom