Bono's Voice The New Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
doctorwho said:

Listen to "One" on AB - Bono's voice is very scratchy. However, in concert, it's more full and rich sounding. In other words, Bono isn't always able to duplicate the scratchiness of "One" live. But that hoarse sound adds a lot of emotion to the song.

I think this is absolutely correct, and I also think that One-on the album, Achtung Baby is the finest actual recording that U2 has ever done, largely because of that vocal take, it's perfect to me and has never, ever been duplicated.

One is the song that U2, for me, have never come close to replicating on stage, just because I dont think it can be done, most of that is Bono's voice on that take.

You can't really one up a perfect song can you?

My favorite song by anyon is Where the Streets Have No Name but they have many live versions that are great, and many better than the studio version, IMO, that's why I think it's their best song. I think One, on Achtung Baby is the best song captured by the studio, I would say Edge has never played it that well, the Eno-strings never sounded as good, and certainly Bono was perfect for that song. Just my take.

Palace_Hero said:
End of 1997 I believe, between the 3rd and 4th legs.

thats hectic - in the middle of a tour :ohmy:

when i had my op on my vocal chords i wasnt allowed to talk at all for 2 weeks - not a word - let alone go out onto a stage and sing my lungs out for 2 hours. it took months of therapy to get my voice back to a point where i could use it even remotely normally

how on earth did that get a chance to heal properly?!?!

His voice may not be as good as it was in the 80's but I think he's actually technically a better singer. He knows how to use his voice. I think he started really getting better at controlling his voice with Achtung Baby, and it's been getting better ever since. (his use of his voice, I mean...there's no denying he doesn't have the same power he had even 10 years ago).

Back
Top Bottom