Bono's voice at Cannes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SpaceBoy said:
Regarding Vertigo...Larry and Bono are live; Adam and Edge are not. The guitar and bass tracks are the same ones featured on the album, and if you listen to them back to back you will notice they sound exactly the same.

I never noticed that, but rewatching it I have to agree, in the 20 or so times I personally saw them fire up Vertigo live, most from very close up, and god knows how many bootlegs and videos I've watched from the tour, this performance sounds nothing like Vertigo Live, and everything like Vertigo Album - especially the intro and going into the chorus...man that really sounds like the album

:sad:

fuck if they were gonna do that they might as well have let Bono fake the funk too! lol

SpaceBoy said:
Regarding Vertigo...Larry and Bono are live; Adam and Edge are not. The guitar and bass tracks are the same ones featured on the album, and if you listen to them back to back you will notice they sound exactly the same.

Actually it's not the same guitar as studio Vertigo, because in the studio version there is no lead guitar immediately after "no one gets hurt". In the Cannes version there is lead, but that part seems pre-recorded. The tour version of Vertigo is obviously different, but it has been played for exactly one tour and the arrangement could change over time, as it has with other songs (e.g. Elevation) over various tours. Edge also didn't have to change guitars(thus missing the intro) like he does on tour. I don't think sounding too close to the studio version is a good argument - after all it was he who played it in the studio.

Back
Top Bottom