Bono's Voice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I Move in Mysterious Ways

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I hate to say this, but I'm getting the impression that Bono's voice isn't going to last much longer. When I heard him at Edman Chapel last month, I was sort of stunned that it had gotten that raspy. Granted, the audio equipment wasn't top notch (the mp3 recording sounds much better than the live performance). I know he's got the whole smoker's voice thing going, but did he screw it up during Popmart or something? I say this because it sounded like he was more able to just let it all out the way he had in the past at the Popmart shows, while he seemed less able to do the same at Elevation (I think a good point of comparison are New Years Day performances from both tours).

oh, there's been lots of discussion here about that...you could dig up some old threads from Elevation tour days, if you wanted to see the debate.

basically, Bono was using his voice wrong, supposedly, and got some help from a voice coach. Also, he has an alergy to wine, supposedly, which wasn't helping his vocal chords, so he has tried to stay away from that (as well as the cigs).

And he talks too much :).

i'd say it's raspier, now, or some say "more mature," he just has to watch it when he does lots of shows together.

Cheers!

this is a really odd picture

I had no idea Bono's voice is being kept alive with science! :shocked:

Do you think most professional singers use this device?

00312651.jpg

Bono says :
"This looks more avant-garde than it is. This is on tour. I'm singing over two hours a night, notes I'm not really able to hit, and it's expensive on the vocal cords. So during the day, I can't talk at all. I use this humidifier to keep my throat in shape. It's a pain in the ass for me. The rest of the band thinks it's great, because I have to shut up all day. I think that's one of the reasons why they like going on tour."

I heart RHMT on the radio yesterday and it brought tears to my eyes knowing he'll never be able to sing like that again:( but I am grateful we have it preserved forever. Most people can't say that about their youth:huh: Still, I LOVE what Bono's voice has become. It's so tender and emotional and loving. I'm happy with it and I look forward to it for years to come!

Re: this is a really odd picture

Yoyodyne said:
I had no idea Bono's voice is being kept alive with science! :shocked:

Do you think most professional singers use this device?

00312651.jpg

Bono says :
"This looks more avant-garde than it is. This is on tour. I'm singing over two hours a night, notes I'm not really able to hit, and it's expensive on the vocal cords. So during the day, I can't talk at all. I use this humidifier to keep my throat in shape. It's a pain in the ass for me. The rest of the band thinks it's great, because I have to shut up all day. I think that's one of the reasons why they like going on tour."

I need to get a hard copy of this issue. Is it the one with the dreaded Christina Aguilera on the cover that I kept passing by and refusing to look at??

What I find interesting is how much Bono's voice has changed as opposed to Bruce Springsteen or Bon Jovi, who sound pretty much the same as they did 20 years ago. Did the smokes make that much of a difference?

i hope bono stays off the cigs and wine, and also less speaking engagements during album and tour time. i thought his vocals were amazing during the elevation tour. one of my other favorite singers, frank sinatra, had a voice problem well after his career took off. he lost his voice on stage and couldnt sing at all for a long time. he came back, his voice sounded different and had a great success as a result. i think that bono has the greatest voice i have ever heard and hope to GOD that he takes care of it.

Bah, my magazines are all at school, otherwise I could check

joyfulgirl said:
I need to get a hard copy of this issue. Is it the one with the dreaded Christina Aguilera on the cover that I kept passing by and refusing to look at??

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's the one that had the 3 different Simpsons covers...but I'm not really sure, so yeah, lookit me being helpful. :der:

Re: Bah, my magazines are all at school, otherwise I could check

Ultraviolet Light said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's the one that had the 3 different Simpsons covers...but I'm not really sure, so yeah, lookit me being helpful. :der:

Thanks! The online date of the article did not match any of the issue dates. :huh:

I think one of the reasons Bono's voice may have sounded raspy when he sang during his recent speaking engagements in the Midwest is U2 currently isn't touring and he isn't being as careful about preserving his voice with the humidifier thingy and whatever else he does. Hopefully his voice will be in good shape for the next U2 album and tour.

One of the things I love about U2 is that their sound has changed on every album to date, while still retaining that U2 signature. Well, the same goes for Bono's voice: his voice is literally different on each and every album, but you always know it's Bono when you hear him on the radio - no matter which album the song is from.

What he lacks in power now, he more than makes up for in control, IMO. Just listen to the new (Jooles Holland) version of 'Velvet Dress' for an example of all his new found tricks. He takes his falseto to new heights, going back and forth from high to higher and back again, and doing so with incredible ease. He also belts it out in places that leave your head spinning in disbelief. If you crank it up on a good stereo, you'll notice that Bono has delivered, arguably, the greatest vocal performance of his career - 24 years into it!!

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:

What he lacks in power now, he more than makes up for in control, IMO. Just listen to the new (Jooles Holland) version of 'Velvet Dress' for an example of all his new found tricks. He takes his falseto to new heights, going back and forth from high to higher and back again, and doing so with incredible ease. He also belts it out in places that leave your head spinning in disbelief. If you crank it up on a good stereo, you'll notice that Bono has delivered, arguably, the greatest vocal performance of his career - 24 years into it!!

:yes: I totally agree. The first thing I thought when I heard that song was "I hope this is Bono's new voice......" That's my new favorite song for the headphones!

I remember after the Irving Plaza show in 2000 where Bonos vocals were rather raspy there were people here saying there was no way Bono would make it through a world tour. Well, the Elevation tour speaks for itself. Bonos vocals sounded better than they have in a long time.

Bono vocals will be just fine. But I'am sure we will have yet another one of these threads as the next tour approaches. To go with the setlist bitching thread. LOL ;)

I just cant believe after all these years some of you still doubdt that U2 can pull this stuff off. Amazing.

Last edited:
Blue Room - I know what you're saying! Bono's had vocal troubles since the very beginning of U2, especially during the JT tour, and yet people insist it's a recent worry! It's funny that it wasn't a big deal back in 1987. I think it had something to do with the fact that he was only 26 at the time. It's interesting how age skews our perceptions of situations. The fact remains that Bono has always had vocal complications, so it is really no different now than it was then. He recovered then; he'll recover now - and in the future, if history is an indicator. If anything, he's in better shape now: he actually takes care of his voice now, and uses proper techniques! LOL. People need to think this stuff through!

remember after the Irving Plaza show in 2000 where Bonos vocals were rather raspy there were people here saying there was no way Bono would make it through a world tour.[/bquote]

That's hard to imagine, because Bono had one of his greatest vocal moments in that show (at the end of the combination of One and Walk On).

When I heard him hit those WIIIIDE AWAAAKES on the Elevation tour I knew for sure all the gossip about the demise of his voice was wrong. I don't have a problem with his voice now at all. It sounds just fine to me! :)

Michael Griffiths said:
One of the things I love about U2 is that their sound has changed on every album to date, while still retaining that U2 signature. Well, the same goes for Bono's voice: his voice is literally different on each and every album, but you always know it's Bono when you hear him on the radio - no matter which album the song is from.

:yes:.

Exactly.

I like the way his voice sounded when he was younger.

I like the way his voice sounds now.

And that's that.

Angela

AchtungJedi said:
remember after the Irving Plaza show in 2000 where Bonos vocals were rather raspy there were people here saying there was no way Bono would make it through a world tour.[/bquote]

That's hard to imagine, because Bono had one of his greatest vocal moments in that show (at the end of the combination of One and Walk On).

Not really, you are referring to one moment in that show. I'am referring to the overall show. His vocals are strained at times. Still a great show, but he was a bit raspy. Mostly likely because they were in the middle of their promotional compaign for the album and we all know how Bono likes to talk.

Right, just that one moment (or few moments, but you know what I mean). But what a moment it was.

:| :| :| :|

Please, american friends, download some European shows!! In Barcelona, Turin, London or even Dublin, Bono has many problems to reach high notes! The best performances of the tour was in march and april 2001 and in most 3er leg concerts, but in Europe?? :huh: :huh:

In 1987 and 1989-90 Bono suffered some medical problems with his voice but was on SOME shows, and when he was in top form, this voice sounded GREAT.

Vox

Michael Griffiths said:
Blue Room - I know what you're saying! Bono's had vocal troubles since the very beginning of U2, especially during the JT tour, and yet people insist it's a recent worry! It's funny that it wasn't a big deal back in 1987. I think it had something to do with the fact that he was only 26 at the time. It's interesting how age skews our perceptions of situations. The fact remains that Bono has always had vocal complications, so it is really no different now than it was then. He recovered then; he'll recover now - and in the future, if history is an indicator. If anything, he's in better shape now: he actually takes care of his voice now, and uses proper techniques! LOL. People need to think this stuff through!

Amen brother! :yes:

I downloaded a great JT version of "One Tree Hill" from a concert in Texas done in 1987. I was stunned at Bono's operatic moments in that song. I thought if Bono sounded that great during "One Tree Hill" then the rest of the songs from the night would be outstanding. Well.... It turns out that "One Tree Hill" was performed early in the set-list that night. And after listening to the songs that followed that song, I believe that Bono "shot his vocal wad" (if you will) on that song. The rest of the songs sounded weak and raspy. And yes, this was 1987.

Bottom line: He's a good singer, not great. Listen to the AB version of "One" - raspy. Listen to the off-key moments in the album version of "New Year's Day" (where Bono strains to hit the notes). On the Elevation tour, Bono blew me away with his vocals. He kept some songs within his range - resulting in a fuller, richer voice. And at times, he would belt it out - but just when needed.

After listening to the operatic bursts in "Hands...", "Ground Beneath Her Feet" and "Wild Honey" and the "oh-oh" in "E-Storm" I am not at all worried about Bono's vocals. He clearly has it, before, during and after the tour.

Well...

One thing is certain, Bono's best vocal days are behind him.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Re: Well...

jick said:
One thing is certain, Bono's best vocal days are behind him.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Wrong. He keeps getting better. I'f he'd sung Kite in '87 it would've been a mess. Go listen to a live bootleg version of Pride from 87 or 89, you hear a man who doesn't know how to sing, but does know how to scream, and it sounds terrible sometimes. Now he actually SINGS the tune.

I'd say Bono's lost someof his range over the years but nodes on the vocal cords will do that. SOme people can never sing properly again. So lets count ourselves lucky. The upside is that Bono is vastly more technically competeant than he's ever been. Since the dicey moments on the Popmart tour he's had the vocal cord surgery and has learned to work around his vocal limitations. Though I'm still sad to know he doesn't ahve that full rich midrange anymore. Compare JT rendtitions of WOWY to more recent aones and you'll know what I mean. But either way Bono remains one of the best rock singers in the indusrty.

We'll see...I hope not. It's true he sounded weaker in 3rd leg (of what I heard), but otherwise it was good during the last tour.

I wish people wouldn't bring up the 80's voice over and over again. Of course he can't sing like that anymore, he's not a youngster. One of the reasons I really like his voice now is he sounds more humane, and he has better control of the voice.

He sounds raspier now because of the way he used to sing (screaming instead of really singing the high notes. sure it may sound impressive but I bet it cost him a lot to yell like that in the 80's), maybe smoking added a bit, plus consider he's been singing for over 20 years now - you can't expect him to sound fully the same all the time, with singing so many high notes tour after tour. It started changing and it hasn't been the same since the early 90's.

Personally I thought his high notes on the last tour were better than Popmart (which was the worst in that part IMO).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom