bonos vocal range

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
what is bonos vocal range? whats the highest note that hes been able to hit? and is his singing range unique compared to other singers?

I may write in text-speak, but at least I use punctuations when I do.

:ohmy:

(Don't take that 2 heart, just kidding) :wink:

As 4 vocal range, I've heard people say his "WIDE AWAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE" in Bad is the highest.... can't remember which note it is musically.

europop2005 said:
what is bonos vocal range? whats the highest note that hes been able to hit? and is his singing range unique compared to other singers?

Well Bono are very unique, his reigster is very wide. But in my opionion there are no other singer that come close to him in singing with feeling and passion. He got soul.

The highest full voice: Wide Awake C5
Falsetto: G5

Some other high ones
Don't you look back - WGRYWH
Free - Native Son
Sing - SYCMIOYO
Still - ISHFWILF
RHMT
Name - Pride
Waooooooooooooooh(falsetto) - MW(1992-06-15 - Rottersdam)

I believe the bit in the Alicia Keys duet when he goes "keep my EYES wide awake" was a high note.

U2girl said:
I believe the bit in the Alicia Keys duet when he goes "keep my EYES wide awake" was a high note.

"keep my EYES wide awake"?????????? :huh:

you mean "keep my ARMS down below"? That one is high. One thougt I have is; now when he is able to sing like he do in that line, could he pull that sound and force in ISHFWILF, for an example in: "I have climb HIGHEST mountain" ?

Last edited:
U2girl said:

"keep my EYES wide awake"?????????? :huh:

you mean "keep my ARMS down below"? That one is high. One thougt I have is; now when he is able to sing like he do in that line, could he pull that sound and force in ISHFWILF, for an example in: "I have climb HIGHEST mountain" ?

In the Classic Albums: The Joshua Tree DVD you can hear that ISHFWILF was recorded in an even higher tuning than the final version but was pitched down for the album.

Bono's voice has really matured through the years. During the Vertigo tour, his hitting & holding those notes in SYCMIOYO and Miss Sarajevo were absolutely amazing. I also favor the vocal range of Steve Perry. He and Bono have similar vocal styles.

Carek1230 said:
Bono's voice has really matured through the years. During the Vertigo tour, his hitting & holding those notes in SYCMIOYO and Miss Sarajevo were absolutely amazing. I also favor the vocal range of Steve Perry. He and Bono have similar vocal styles.

I'm still waiting for U2's cover of "Oh Sherry". Oh well, maybe next tour! :) Its going to rock the place!

Yahweh_OMG said:
I guess it's in the song Pride..... so hard to sing it, lot's of problems for him since Zoo TV....

More like hard singing since JT tour, but on Vertigo he holds the note.

Any one who is good on singing has an answer on this:

U2girl said:

"keep my EYES wide awake"??????????

Is that possible?

Peterrrrr said:

Any one who is good on singing has an answer on this:

Is that possible?

am i delusional or did you quote and correct that poor girl's comment like 3 seperate times???

t8thgr8 said:

am i delusional or did you quote and correct that poor girl's comment like 3 seperate times???

No, it was mean to get an reply on following:

Is that possible?

Peterrrrr said:

Yes, that is correct. Not "keep my eyes wide awake", it's "keep my arms down below". Almost sounds like Lovetown Bono peeking through for a moment.

Or maybe "this Bono":

300px-Kermit2005.jpg

Peterrrrr said:

More like hard singing since the UF tour - and that includes the UF tour. "Pride" has always been rearranged for live performances because I think it's just way too difficult for anyone to sing night after night. :D

doctorwho said:

More like hard singing since the UF tour - and that includes the UF tour. "Pride" has always been rearranged for live performances because I think it's just way too difficult for anyone to sing night after night. :D [/B]

Yes, but the best performence of that song was 1986-06-15 - East Rutherford, when he gives his all.

I uploaded the whole show:

www. send space.com/file/tcrxnl

turn up the speakers loud :) Because this show has the best versions of Bad, SBS and Pride. Bono's voice peak.

Peterrrr have you heard the June 6 1986 concert from the Conspiracy Of Hope tour, this features a great version of Bad, it sounds as if Bono's hitting some very high notes on the 'Wide Awakes', it must be up there with the East Rutherford performance it terms of vocal versatility and power. Bono sounds very young too, much younger than he actually was at the time. :)

Last edited:
DevilsShoes said:
Peterrrr have you heard the June 6 1986 concert from the Conspiracy Of Hope tour, this features a great version of Bad, it sounds as if Bono's hitting some very high notes on the 'Wide Awakes', it must be up there with the East Rutherford performance it terms of vocal versatility and power. Bono sounds very young too, much younger than he actually was at the time. :)

That version is great, one of the strongest performences of that song, but the East Rutherford version is still the best. Bono has another sound when he hits Wide Awake on East Rutherford. Also the "and so faaaaaaaaade, faaaaaaaaade" part is brilliant on ER. :)

Yeah East Rutherford still has the edge, but Bono was in great voice in 86, it was one of his strongest periods I think, but he was great all throughout the eighties I think. Washington 92 is also a great night for Bono, check out the version of Bad on that, his voice is so powerful on the high notes at the end. :)

DevilsShoes said:
Yeah East Rutherford still has the edge, but Bono was in great voice in 86, it was one of his strongest periods I think, but he was great all throughout the eighties I think. Washington 92 is also a great night for Bono, check out the version of Bad on that, his voice is so powerful on the high notes at the end. :)

That one is also good, SBS on that night is also a good one. His voice was good in the 80's, except LT tour, to much screamin, difficult to holding notes. I havent heard any LT version of Bad when he holds Wide Awake for long. Compare WOWY and ISHFWILF and you hear very clear the difference between JT and LT tour.

I never minded the screaming on Lovetown, I really like the power, for me its not really about the technicalities or how long he holds the note, its more about the emotion and feeling behind his voice you know? He doesn't hold the Wide Awakes very long in the Rattle and Hum version but I love the desperation of the performance, it's one of my favourites.

Bono's voice is constantly changing isnt it, some singers sound the same throughout their whole career but not Bono. On Zoo TV his voice sounded lighter to me, not quite as rich and heavy as in the eighties although he was still capable of great things. Popmart was more variable though, sometimes he sounded great, sometimes not so. Rotterdam 97 is excellent, he sounds like a different man, younger, cleaner, the higher notes are easier for him to hit.

Strange, but it helps keep things interesting I guess. :wink:

DevilsShoes said:
I never minded the screaming on Lovetown, I really like the power, for me its not really about the technicalities or how long he holds the note, its more about the emotion and feeling behind his voice you know? He doesn't hold the Wide Awakes very long in the Rattle and Hum version but I love the desperation of the performance, it's one of my favourites.

Bono's voice is constantly changing isnt it, some singers sound the same throughout their whole career but not Bono. On Zoo TV his voice sounded lighter to me, not quite as rich and heavy as in the eighties although he was still capable of great things. Popmart was more variable though, sometimes he sounded great, sometimes not so. Rotterdam 97 is excellent, he sounds like a different man, younger, cleaner, the higher notes are easier for him to hit.

Strange, but it helps keep things interesting I guess. :wink:

I don't like they way he sang on LT, when he was going to hold a note he had problem holdning it for an exmaple: wide awaake eh eh yeah heh. Almost in every song.

His voice now is very good, he is a better singer then ever.

Back
Top Bottom