Bono's Picks for the 2 Biggest Hits on "Bomb"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LyricalDrug

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Well, I'm feeling smug at the moment because ever since I heard the "Bomb," I've been running around telling everyone that "Sometimes" and "Original" are two of U2's best songs ever, and the two best on the album by far. And now check out what Bono told Rolling Stone!

BONO: But I won't really feel confident until "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own" or "Original of the Species," one of those two, punctures the "pop" balloon. Otherwise, the album won't be what it should be.

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

I'm not too keen on OOTS, the 2nd half of the song is brilliance and U2 magic, but the first have could have been soo much more. AMAAW and Yahweh beat the crap out of it.

LyricalDrug said:
Well, I'm feeling smug at the moment because ever since I heard the "Bomb," I've been running around telling everyone that "Sometimes" and "Original" are two of U2's best songs ever, and the two best on the album by far. And now check out what Bono told Rolling Stone!

BONO: But I won't really feel confident until "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own" or "Original of the Species," one of those two, punctures the "pop" balloon. Otherwise, the album won't be what it should be.

This makes me wonder..... will OOTS be a single? :hmm:

OOTS definately can be a hit-- with the opposite crowd that liked vertigo though, the older music crowd, who are into the beatles, because it seems that every beatles fan who listens to OOTS immediately says its beatle territory & a great song

i am confused... what the hell is the "pop" balloon? Does that mean he wants it to be a hit pop song, or does it have to do with the songs from Pop the album?

hes talking about all the bubblegum Pop out there right now....much like he talked about Stuck In A Moment from last album but unfortunately it just wasnt strong enough a song.

I have to say that the two favs on the album for me are " Love And Peace Or Else." I just love the groove of it, it is a different kind of U2 song for me. I also love COBL, I have never been to New York and i am trying to go this next year. That will be my feeling for the way i will be when i see the city for the first time. so i want to make that my song. The third song i like is ABOY, then OOTS.

Id love OOTS to be a huge single. But I just cant see it happening. Not here in the UK anyway. The single-buying public here (10yr olds basically!) just wont understand the song, and continue to buy the X Factor winners 'new' single that week or something. Plus U2 have never had 2 no.1 singles off the same album. Not over here anyway.

I agree, also add City of blinding lights.

(Stuck was strong enough, it was U2's strongest song from ATYCLB after Beautiful day in the US, and did good everywhere else in the world)

innocent_eyes said:
I'm not too keen on OOTS, the 2nd half of the song is brilliance and U2 magic, but the first have could have been soo much more. AMAAW and Yahweh beat the crap out of it.

Nope. Neither song is all-round brilliant like OOTS os, it is a MASSIVE pop song, with all the right ingredients..the two you spoke of oyu are good songs but not great, IMO.

innocent_eyes said:

I really don't see the appeal of Yahweh. It's like a mish-mash of sounds thrown together. You can't hear anything clearly. Plus, the double-tracking of Bono's voice is so badly done; it sounds so cheesy and amateur. (IMO):eyebrow:

Single-wise, it's pretty clear the path U2 will follow.

"Vertigo", as the lead single, did its job. It's catchy, without being obnoxious (something I fear "Discotheque" became). It's a great rock song, but clearly U2.

"All Because of You"/"Sometimes..." are the second and third singles, as we all know. ABoY will be released in the U.S. and then the rest of the world. "Sometimes..." in the rest of the world and then the U.S. So just as ABoY is running out of steam in the U.S., along comes "Sometimes...". This will be perfect - just as the tour starts (or shortly before), "Sometimes..." will be on the radio. It'll show a "new" side to U2, after two rocking songs. Then, after being hit with a "slow" song, the rest of the world will be treated to another rocker from U2 with ABoY. This release pattern works out brilliantly.

The fourth single, IMO, is CoBL. It's not as heavy as ABoY or "Vertigo", but far more upbeat than "Sometimes...". It's a great tune that has the possibility of crossing-over much like "Beautiful Day".

The fifth single is up in the air, but I can see OotS as a good choice. It's similar in the overall beat to CoBL, but sounds dramatically different.

If there is a sixth single, I think MD or AMaaW would be a good choice. However, U2 have never released more than 5 singles from an album, so unless HTDAAB is still going super strong a year from now, I doubt we'll see a 5th single, much less a 6th. Of course, I'd love to be wrong. :yes:

Whatever the singles are they will be a good choice because the record is that good.

bcrt2000 said:
OOTS definately can be a hit-- with the opposite crowd that liked vertigo though, the older music crowd, who are into the beatles, because it seems that every beatles fan who listens to OOTS immediately says its beatle territory & a great song

I love Vertigo, still listen to it everyday after hearing it 300 times before HTDAAB came out. OOTS is my favorite track on the CD right now...it needs to be a single!! I've never listened to the Beatles so i can't compare.

Original of the Species just may be my favourite song on the album. I fell in love with it immediately and our tryst continues.

LyricalDrug said:

I agree 512%. Those are my two favourites and in my opinion the two best on the album... both have that crescendo that only U2 could pull off. Sometimes is heartbreaking and the joy of Original is unmatched by any studio U2 song except maybe Streets. Both have the potential to become hit singles, but we'll see... hard to say if radio will play, y'know, GOOD songs anymore. But I have heard Vertigo on the radio a lot and I even heard ABOY on our "alternative" rock station that has NEVER played U2 before (not even Vertigo :huh: ) so perhaps U2 has a chance to conquer the airwaves...

Back
Top Bottom