Bono's Personal Views/U2 In Concert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Perhaps this should be in 'Free Your Mind', but I put it here because it's not about his views themselves, it's more about the way in which he chooses to vocalize them.

All the time we see Bono making speeches and meeting with politicians and such, and he's always tactful and, how shall we say, nuetral. But does anybody else think he thrives on making his real personal views known on U2's concert stage rather than anywhere else publically? To me, it just seems like, for example, the middle 'wipe your tears away' portion of SBS and the end ranting part of BTBS, are where Bono lets all the shields down, lets loose, and goes crazy, pouring his views, raw and uncensored to tens of thousands of people.

i think you might be comparing different time frames in regards to his 'outbursts' and political neutrality.

both of the examples you cite, and others that i can think of, are long before bono got 'inside', to some extent, of decision making circles. perhaps the difference you allude to is evidence of comprimises bono has made in sharpening his diplomatic skills and credibility.

i dont mean to say this is an instance of bono having 'sold out'. rather, he may have recognized different objectives and different ways to go about them.

Last edited:
kobayashi said:

i dont mean to say this is an instance of bono having 'sold out'. rather, he may have recognized different objectives and different ways to go about them.

Totally agree. It's personally painful for me to see him with certain political leaders, who shall remain nameless, but I try to keep the objective in mind (a little easier to understand as I've gotten older but still hard to stomach).

Keeping this in mind, I was surprised that B summed up the 'Heart of America' tour from a few years ago as 'trying to get blood from a stone.' Glad he can still feel free to voice an opinion!

Well I don't think Bono can "let loose" and "go crazy" when lobbying politicians. It's a matter of diplomacy, Bono has said himself there are some politicians that have made his skin crawl but he wouldn't name them because he realizes that he still needs their help and would need to interact with them in the future.

A concert is a horse of a different color.

i think he realizes that the people who go to his concerts are his fans and will listen to certain things he has to say in a different way than say a group of republicans at a convention or a crowd of people at a political event. u2 fans already have an understanding of what the band stands for and their morals, whereas a bunch of political people just might think hes some rockstar butting his *cute* head into things. he has something to prove with politicians but nothing to prove with his fans
so maybe when he does a concert "rant" he feels more free to speak in his own voice and not one that is acceptable to politics

I think that is what makes him Bono. Listen to Rattle and Hum he has a lot of "Rants" he opens the eyes of a lot of people when he does this. I knew shit about politics and I still basically know shit however I know more than I did because of him. I didn't know who Bishop TuTu was until I heard Bono mention his name. I barley knew what an apartied was.

I think that his Rants and opinions are part of the attraction of U2. He speaks truthfully with his heart on stage to his fans and with diplomacy in his speechs.

Yes, I think in U2 concerts Bono feels a certain freedom to just BE HIMSELF.:wink:

On stage, there is a communion of spirits that take place between Bono (and U2) and the audience, and between all of us ("led" by Bono) and God. It's a beautiful trinity of soul forces. :angel:

So when the B-man is up on stage, I think part of him is with us on earth and part of him is with the Almighty.

That sense of freedom is probably a release for Bono where he feels comfortable enough to let down his guard in front of all of us. :hug:

And it's a BEAUTIFUL THING to be in the presence of!

BONO - ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT IT'S YOUR JOB TO BE YOURSELF!:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Back
Top Bottom