Bono's New Voice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jick said:
Bono's voice is still great now and his singing style (phrasing, diction, clarity of words) is at its best. But vocally, he is past his prime which was way back on the Joshua Tree.

Cheers,

J

It's another one of those scary occasions when I agree with Jick.

jick said:
Bono's voice is still great now and his singing style (phrasing, diction, clarity of words) is at its best. But vocally, he is past his prime which was way back on the Joshua Tree.
Cheers,
J

Oh you guys are all a little crazy. Think about the contradictions in Jick's note. "Voice is still great", "singing style...at its best", "vocally...past his prime"????:scratch:

I definitely agree Bono is not going to be hitting all the high notes, and his screaming/yell is a bit raspy these days, but he's not past his prime. No he's reached a new mountain and is near the top. He's harnessed all he has, and all he's learned and put it to work on Vertigo.

Think about it; the speak/sing of the first verse and then the burst of "I can feeeeeeeeel"!!! That's the most excited I've been to hear him sing in a while. And someone mentioned that he hasn't sounded good since Pop. Huh??? Pop is the one record where it is a bit clear to me that they had to layer vocals on top of his to make the vocals sound proper.

Oh he's a wise singer, who still takes a drag and a drink, but I think he's a bit more wary about doing those things and his voice.

I agree with Reggie about Pop. That was kind of a disastrous album vocally. Bono's voice was really weak there and it showed on the Popmart tour too. One critic commented - 'Bono doesn't sing so much now as he croons." Listen to With or Without you from the Popmart tour. It's weak. Big time. There will be people who argue with me, but personally, the vocals on Vertigo just bash the hell out of anything on Pop. Listen to Last Night on Earth (album version) or Please...his voice is shit. Watch the Sarajevo documentary on the '1990-2000 Best Of' DVD. Remember that part where Bono's in the car, trying to sing...and, well...yeah I nearly couldn't watch it. Probably because of smoking and drinking COMBINED with the cysts on his vocal chords? Hell yes. And then he got them removed in 1998-1999 (hazy on the details), and his voice has markedly improved. The guy sang Pop with cysts on his vocal chords...it's hard to argue the vocals there were not Bono's best. But it wasn't his fault, and the album still produced some great songs. Please, Staring at the Sun, IGWSHA, and (the single version of) Last Night on Earth are all fantastic. Oh, and did I mention Gone? One of the best U2 tracks of all time, in my opinion. Top 10 song.

Last edited:
Miggy D said:
Probably because of smoking and drinking COMBINED with the cysts on his vocal chords? Hell yes. And then he got them removed in 1998-1999 (hazy on the details), and his voice has markedly improved. The guy sang Pop with cysts on his vocal chords...it's hard to argue the vocals there were not Bono's best.

yeah i had those and i also had an op to remove them in january this year (that is so not any fun at all, i wasnt allowed to utter a word for 2 weeks!). it changed my voice dramtically i know, but i really really have to look after it now in a way i dont think bono can - thats less drinking, less time in smokey bars and, heres the cruncher, not raising my voice too often too much. not quite possible on a 18month world tour really is it.
i had loads of therapy but i dont think i could expect my voice post-op to hold up with that, hell if i even do too many nights yelling in loud bars in a row, it takes the strain big time.
my opinion, i think bonos vocals sound really good on this and i really like them, but they still sound slightly strained to me.
i kind of recognise the limits i have on my own voice, in what i hear in his

bonos voice is always going to sounds at its best on an actual studio track because its a studio and they can do it as many times as they like till its sounds great.
ultimately its the concerts that are really going to take their toll though.

IMO while bonos voice may not sound like it did 15 years ago, i love the way its changed over the years and i think it sounds a lot maturer now (you would think!) and overall prefer the kind of sounds he's coming out with these days.

Actually, I think Bono's vocal prime was during the R&H era. He had a this rich fullness to his voice with a ridiculous range.

I'd say his voice right now is around the UF/JT album era, which is dang impressive. Hopefully he's cut back on the cigs and speeches. ;)

david said:
It sounds better than it did on the Zooropa album and that was 11 years ago.

bono's voice on lemon, stay, the first time, zooropa, dirty day..................sounds not so worst than vertigo....... :wink: :wink: .............zooropa is just another history

Last edited:
I wonder if Bono is taking steps to improve his health? He does look healthier in recent photos, and his voice is clearer and has better range on Vertigo than it did on ATYCLB. Perhaps he's quit smoking and cut back on the booze? I sure hope he has. He isn't 30 anymore, the body can't heal itself like it used to, gotta take better care of it.

It's called doctoring, people

Well, I hate to break this to some of you, but Bono's voice is shot. Really. Do we remember U2 during the Super Bowl telecast a few years back? Did Bono sound at his vocal pinnacle? No. In fact, IMO the last album was an attempt by U2 to be real. Honestly, Bono's aging. His voice, like most singers, changes with the years. Bono has lost much of the vocal range he once utilized so well. For example, do you think he can scream the chorus to "Pride" with the same vigor as he did in 1987?

I personally liked the honest, unaltered approach of ATYCLB. While he sounds stellar on 'Vertigo,' machines can make anyone sound like they got 10 years younger. I still love the single, and Bono's voice. But truthfully, his best years vocally (at least from a technical standpoint) are behind him.

What does everyone else think?

Thanks...later!

Re: It's called doctoring, people

DaStag01 said:
Well, I hate to break this to some of you, but Bono's voice is shot.
What does everyone else think?

I don't know about everyone, but my belief is that U2 does not use machines to make them sound better......just a personal belief, but I think Bono would find this offensive (not your post, but the fact that a producer would use a device to change the sound of his vocal). U2 uses echo and other studio tricks, but they would never (purposely) enhance Bono voice.

Again my opinion only.

It's changing. I don't think it's better or worse, just different.
Bono's voice has kinda changed with each U2 transition anyway. Boy-War was one 'voice' which I don't really know how to describe. UF-R&H was the big stadium, anthem voice. Achtung was where he started to use it in different ways (the smokey, crawling voice, the fat lady voice etc) and that has kept going since then.

You couldn't ever expect him or any human to be able to belt out Pride now in his 40's like he could 15 years ago in his late 20's. The good thing is that he doesn't try to, and that he has changed with his voice, rather than continuing to be something that he's not. He uses the scratchiness to effect, still hits the occasional big notes within his limits etc and evolves as his voice changes.

Point is: Bono's voice changing is natural and expected, the fact that he recognises it and works with it is a good thing. If he was still trying to be Bono circa 1988 it'd suck.

Exactly!

That was exactly the point I was trying to get across. When I said 'machines,' I meant studio gadgets to clean up his voice. I'm sure it's not a case of Milli Vinilli-type offenses. Just that as the man ages, he must adapt his voice to his abilities. Kinda like the way Mick Jagger's voice changed from 1965 to 1967, but of course sounds completely different in 2004.

Can anyone else think of any evolving vocalists like that? Meatloaf also came to mind for me....

banos voice is ok on vertigo.
right now i think he sounds great on slow songs but when it comes to fast songs like sbs,streets etc you have to go back to JT and zootv erra bano. he cant sing like that any more and some may say he has lost his voice...... well that is true but what can one do.... maby STOP SMOKING:mad:

:wink:

im just glad that they are still making music even if its not as good as their eairler stuff war, jt, ab!

I think Bono's vocal is closer now to his best vocals ever than anything he done in ATYCLB.

He sounds fresh again. And i think he still have THAT range.

No doubt his voice has changed over the years, he can't hit those big ranges he used to. But I still think he's an amazing vocalist. There's just something about that voice man that kicks the sh!t out of anything else out there. I can't really put my finger on it, his voice just works for me.

I also agree, that I don't see U2 using technology to clean his voice up, he sounds naturally fresh on this song. Steve Lylliwhite has already stated Bono is sing the best he has for years.

I also think he can still do the fast songs as well, I mean he rocked The Fly on the Elevation Tour as the vocal style suits his voice now. I like the vocal styles of The Fly, HMTMKMKM, UTEOTW and Vertigo it's right up my street.

I've seen the B-man perform 6 times on various tours (no where near some ya'll) but it's the performance as well as the voice that always does it for me. Roll on the new tour I say!! hopefully they'll pick songs that'll suit the B-man's voice now, rather than just all the hits.

Last edited:
Of course his voice has changed over the last 25 years - but personally songs like Hands that built america/ES/Vertigo - he sounds amazing - lower than in the 80s sure but still amazingly powerful - I actually prefer the live versions of UTEOTW, WTSHNN, ISHFWILF etc. from the elevation tour. I want Bono to sound like the person he is - a man who has seen alot but still has hope -I'll take that over a boy anyday

nurse chrissi said:
Of course his voice has changed over the last 25 years - but personally songs like Hands that built america/ES/Vertigo - he sounds amazing - lower than in the 80s sure but still amazingly powerful - I actually prefer the live versions of UTEOTW, WTSHNN, ISHFWILF etc. from the elevation tour. I want Bono to sound like the person he is - a man who has seen alot but still has hope -I'll take that over a boy anyday

You said it!

It really frustrates me when people who have no professional experience with something act like they do. Any of you been performing for twenty years? I'd rather build people up then try and tear them down....I can't imagine being a celeb and being put into the microscope so your nose can be rubbed into your flaws (regardless of whether or not they are genuine or imposed)...

Just please remember that this voice, this band has electrified millions and has given many of us some beauty and warmth in a world that is full of darkness and apathy. I'm not saying thay you can't have an opinion about things but we should remain in the spirit of love and be reasonable in our expectations...Let's encourage the boys to shine.... :heart:

War

I like how you placed 'War' before the others. I really love that album, and personally, I'd have it as follows: War, AB!, JT.

Besides, at 44 many bands are completely forgotten. Such groups as horrid as Bowling for Soup will be gone and hopefully erased from memory by that age! They have a new single, '1985,' that mentions U2 by name. Except the only problem is that they're singing about '85, and U2 lived it.

April 4, 1987: Concert: Tempe, AZ, USA

The band was due to play a second show in Tempe the night before, but Bono's voice troubles force the band to push it back a day. Bono tells the audience that TIME magazine is preparing a cover story on the band, and brings the photographer onstage to take pictures of the band with the audience as a background. Those photos are not used, however, as the magazine instead chooses a studio-based photo taken backstage prior to the concert.

October 22, 1989: Bono's laryngitis forces postponement of 3 concerts

After complaining of throat pain for several days, Bono is diagnosed with laryngitis and three shows in Sydney are postponed until mid-November.

December 16, 1989: Concert: Dortmund, Germany

Playing the last of three shows in Dortmund, Germany, Bono cuts the show short when he has trouble singing during "Love Rescue Me." The show lasts only 75 minutes, and many in the crowd voice their anger through jeers and whistles.

December 18, 1989: Concert: Amsterdam, The Netherlands

A show in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, is cut short when Bono's voice hurts again. The band decide that they will refund each ticket for this show, and when two additional shows are cancelled because of Bono's vocal troubles, the band announces four new shows after the new year in Rotterdam.

Bono may have had a fantastic voice during the JT and especially R&H eras, but as shown above, he paid a high price for it - and so did the fans.

I'd rather see Bono tone it down a bit and make sure he sings in concert!

Lastly, as I said before, as ES, HTBA and "Vertigo" have shown, Bono's voice sounds fantastic now with him hitting notes I haven't heard him hit since the UF era! His voice is clear and powerful. This bodes well for the album and upcoming tour. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom