Bono's New Clothing Line

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
where can you see pictures of the actual clothes does anyone know?

btw its his wife's clothing line, not his!

But they arent giving the work to africans at a fair wage. Hopefully it is successful.

'The Sun' today write a little bit about it -

'There is a strange logic behind U2 frontman Bono naming his new eco-friendly clothes range EDUN - NUDE backwards. Bono explains it thus: "Where you shop, what you buy, the questions you ask - it's a different kind of label consciousness." Quite so. Of course, if you say BONO backwards....'

:wink:

They were on Anderson Cooper 360 last night talking about their reasons for creating the line

BAKHTIAR: And that was Bono and his band, U2 rocking New York City last November with a surprise concert. The group was promoting his latest CD, "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb." The CD was a smash, and since its release, Bono has been busy, busy, busy rocking and trying to save the world, all while he and U2 accepted one of the music industry's top honors. He slowed down, just long enough, to chat with our Anderson Cooper for tonight's "Current."

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

COOPER (voice-over): Bono and "The Boss" rocking out at the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony in New York last night. Bono's band, U2, became one of the new inductees. With 30 years together, they're still topping the charts, still bringing down the house.

BONO, ENTERTAINER: Born in the USA, my arse.

COOPER: Bono, however, has touched people with more than just his music. His work on behave of HIV/AIDS, third world debt, and Africa has been relentless and effective, prodding politicians, using governments, using his celebrity to effect change, regardless of political orientation.

His latest venture, a line of clothing called Edun, manufactured in Africa and South America. The fabrics, he says, are Earth- friendly, the workers paid a fair wage.

(on camera): I've got to tell you, that when I first read that you guys were doing a clothing line, I was though, oh, man, that's like J.Lo, and Britney Spears. But this is completely different. I mean, this is -- there's -- this is political, as much as everything...

BONO: Well, the first thing that Ali said to me is, I'll only do this if you're not involved in the fashion.

(LAUGHTER)

BONO: So no. The man who brought you the mullet has not got a clothing line.

COOPER (voice-over): Ali is his wife, Ali Hewson. They met as children, dated as teens, and now have four kids of their own. It was their passion for politics that led them to New York fashion designer Rogen Gregory, believing consumers should care as much about who's making the clothes as the clothes themselves.

ALI HEWSON, EDUN: We hope people will buy the clothes because the design is so great. But then also we have to try and make the story as great.

COOPER (on camera): And what is the story behind these clothes?

ROGAN GREGORY, DESIGNER, EDUN: I think it's the story of the chain, where the cotton is grown, where it's sewn, who it's sewn by, what fabric you chose to use. And then from the other way, who designs it and where it's manufactured. All of these separate events, we try to consider.

COOPER (voice-over): For Bono, the beauty of Edun is that it's not about handouts, it's about business.

(on camera): You don't want this to be just charity. You want this to be a viable business.

HEWSON: This is for-profit.

BONO: This is a for-profit business. It's a trade-not-a- (UNINTELLIGIBLE) model, and it's the fishing (ph) for us, not the fish. It's what Africans want, as it turns out. Of course, they need our aid, they need our assistance. There's not enough of it. But what they really desperately want is to do business with us, to do trades with us. And they can't. At the moment, it's very difficult for them.

COOPER (voice-over): Making Edun work may be difficult for Bono. It requires shoppers to care about people very far away.

(on camera): What is it about Africa for you? You guys first went to Ethiopia I think it was in the mid '80s after the Live Aid -- or the -- was it Live Aid?

BONO: Yes.

COOPER: Yes. I mean, was it that trip that sort of changed you?

BONO: I think that's fair. Certainly, yes, it changed both of us. And -- because Africa kind of makes a fool of our idea of equality, really. It's that simple. And you know, it is unacceptable that people can be left to die, for instance, of a preventable, treatable disease like AIDS when you can any Duane Reade here drugs that will save your life. But an African, he can't get them. He's going to die. That's not allowed. That's not acceptable. And by the way, in 50 years' time, history, when it records this moment, we will look like neanderthals.

COOPER: You also see this as a national security issue. That it's not just -- you're not just sort of saying, help Africa out of the goodness of your heart, America or Europe, where ever. You know, a generation of AIDS orphans is growing up, and they're going to grow up angry and alone and -- if you're not reaching out to them. You think this has a national security component.

BONO: Of course I do. Anyone who has -- Africa is not the front line in the war against terror. But it could be soon. It's certainly a training ground. Collapsed states. Afghanistan is a classic example. There's 10 Afghanistans in Africa. My argument is, and the argument of people like me is, wouldn't it be smarter to spend the money now making friends with these people than defending ourselves against them later.

i hera ya...its funny though...versace or some other designer can make clothes or shoes for a 1000 bucks a pop and its no big deal. bono makes a clothing line and is taking care of the workers, and hes all of a sudden a bad guy or something.

MrsSpringsteen said:

Interesting..well hopefully wealthier people will buy Edun and the average person will buy from the other stores/lines they talked about. I think the designer attached to Edun might have something to do w/ the high prices, who knows?

I think the Rogan name has a lot to do with it.

If you check the other designer clothing at Saks, most of it is actually more expensive than Edun...for instance, a CK Calvin Klein tank top is priced at $195 versus the Edun camisole at $85. A pair of Seven jeans will set you back $218 compared to Edun jeans at $168.

I'm probably in the minority here but I really don't think Edun is all that high priced for designer clothing.

Bono's American Wife said:

I'm probably in the minority here but I really don't think Edun is all that high priced for designer clothing.

It isn't. For a designer line at Saks it is "moderately priced."

If people arent buying the product obviously the prices will come down until its out on the market for awhile as far as I am concerned repoters that dont know what they are talking about can shut up.

Back
Top Bottom