Bono's "Make Poverty History" Message Banned!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctorwho

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
My TARDIS - currently located in Valparaiso, IN
I've seen it all now. Clearly, the devil is in charge of the world. :macdevil:

Per this article, the "Make Poverty History" message has been banned from advertising on radio and television in the U.K. after the nation's media watchdog decided it was a "political" organization!

This seems ridiculous! There is no one campaigning for office. No $$ is to be gained. We are trying to save lives - and despite the fact that NO ONE COMPLAINED, the U.K. government watchdog decided to ban this ad claiming "politics". :mad:

This is why the world will never change. Inept people thinking that they are doing good, while millions die. :sigh:

Are you confused by my post or by the banning of this message? For the former, just read the link I provided (it has a nice picture of Bono) and it should make sense. If the latter, then yes... I too am confused by the stupidity of some in "power."

doctorwho said:
Are you confused by my post or by the banning of this message? For the former, just read the link I provided (it has a nice picture of Bono) and it should make sense. If the latter, then yes... I too am confused by the stupidity of some in "power."

No I'm baffled at the banning of the message.

shart1780 said:
The UK has always seemed a little iffy to me.

As someone UK born and bred, I can only say that this whole thing came as a huge shock to me. It's disgusting and pointless. Shameful.

You're not going to like me for saying this but of course it's political, there's no doubt about that whatsoever.

Regardless of how honourable it's intention is, if it's a political message then it breaks British law in terms of political advertising.

There's nothing to stop members of the Make Poverty History campaign being interviewed about their cause though, although broadcasters such as the BBC have to maintain impartiality and not support a particular political line.

In August, the BBC ran a season of programmes highlighting the problems Africa is facing, but they were not allowed to use the Make Poverty History Banner, and rightly so

Here is what you can do:

email Chancellor Gordon Brown at

ministers@hm-treasury.gsi.gov.uk

or Prome Minister Tony Blair at this webpage (simply choose the heading that you want to put the letter under, fill in your message and hit the send button).

http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/page821.asp

and to reach the office of the British government that made this decision, email them here.

contact@ofcom.gov.uk

Thank you for helping the world's poorest people.

As Bono has always said, the world is more malleable than we think.

Our mission is still possible!

:up: :up:

how odd...so, let me get this straight....because it's seeking to make changes in Western government policy (DUH.) they've decided to ban the advert? :|

That's the stupidest thing I've read all day...

After reading that article, it sounds to me like they are really stretching the logic in order to ban the advertising. It's such a shame. Finally we get an advertisement for something positive in this world instead of just another flashy new car or the newest vomit-inducing sandwich from McDonald's, and it gets banned. No wonder this world is so screwed up. :|

The trouble is that if you allow one organisation to broadcast a political advertisment, even if its for a positive cause, you open the floodgates to less desirable ones.

Ellay said:
The trouble is that if you allow one organisation to broadcast a political advertisment, even if its for a positive cause, you open the floodgates to less desirable ones.

exactly!:up:

yeah, but surely they'll know where to draw the line between highlighting children dying every three seconds and some advert for the BNP or some Neo Nazi group.

gareth brown said:
yeah, but surely they'll know where to draw the line between highlighting children dying every three seconds and some advert for the BNP or some Neo Nazi group.

If... IF!... the powers that be still possessed any common sense - which, I'm convinced at this point, they do not. Fortunately though, the unpleasantness of reasoning has been made obsolete by the application of Political Correctness to every situation: Don't do what's makes sense to the majority, do what won't offend the minority. Which is why NOTHING ever gets done. :| :eyebrow:

gareth brown said:

Who's to say where the line is?

Members of the BNP think they're perfectly reasonable, as do members of the November 9th Society (British Nazi Party)

As a standing party, the BNP are allowed party political broadcasts during election periods, as are other parties.

This could be deemed undesirable by many people, (including yourself perhaps) but that's democracy, and that's why adverts have to be regulated.

nbcrusader said:
Read the thread in FYM. There is a logical explaination for all this.

:up:

Logical - yes.
The right thing to do - who knows? I couldn't agree more with the MPH campaign but I also agree with the Ofcom policy. Paying to advertise politics just seems wrong.

Ellay said:

But it's truly questionable how "political" this message is. And exceptions are made all the time for other "less desirable" issues. So I'm not buying this at all.

Palace_Hero said:

Don't knock the BNP. Shit leaders but alright policies.
Come off it. That had better just be a joke, albeit one in exceptionally bad taste. How any intelligent human being can take that bunch of buffoons seriously is beyond me.

Getting back to what matters: I do understand your point , Ellay. It's a sad state of affairs, nonetheless.

I suppose Oxfam will be banned from advertising next, as they are playing a major role in the anti-poverty campaign?

Last edited:
sallycinnamon78 said:

Come off it. That had better just be a joke, albeit one in exceptionally bad taste. How any intelligent human being can take that bunch of buffoons seriously is beyond me.

I am deadly serious, their policies have plenty of logic and are relevant in today's political climate in the UK. Read their manifesto, alot of it makes sense and it isn't racist. The people, unfortunately, who run it are bigoted white fools. That is why I wouldn't support them. But if I still lived in the UK and had to forcibly choose a party, it would likely be the BNP, based on their ideals.

Back
Top Bottom