bono's "kermit" voice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

achtunganton

The Fly
anyone (i expect peter will) have any good clips of bono's kermit voice during miss sarajevo? i have the bootleg for hawaii and he does it well at parts during it but i was wondering if there was a better version...thanks
*a*

listen to 11-30-2006 Japan he does it there and also 12-4-2006..those are the only Japan shows I've heard and he does it a lot..IT SOUNDS FUCKING AWESOME

This is a particularly odd Bono voice fettish, to be honest. Compared with the rest of them, I mean.

kermit fettish :giggle:

It's not my fave voice at all, I just liked that Portland Miss Sarajevo performance. In fact I had never even thought about it being his kermit voice when he sings that song until this thread :ohmy:

it's what happens when people untrained in Bel Canto singing technique attempt to emulate it.

I love Bono to death, he just needs to work on his placement ;)

See, now I think of the "Kermit" thing as when he would strain back in the 80s. Now when he sings the "big notes," even the opera stuff, it's nowhere near what I consider the "Kermit" stuff.

^ agreed. I think I like that Portland performance best over ALL Miss Sarajevo performances I have heard... except maybe the one in the U23D movie... which show was that exactly?

corianderstem said:
See, now I think of the "Kermit" thing as when he would strain back in the 80s. Now when he sings the "big notes," even the opera stuff, it's nowhere near what I consider the "Kermit" stuff.

I agree. I personally like his "kermit" voice. :D However, it's really a falsetto he uses to hit a note more powerfully, when his open throat voice might not be able to hit it. It's a good technique and he uses it sparingly enough such that it doesn't take away from the performance.

corianderstem said:
Exactly. I seem to remember the Kermit shit being the "fallback tired out on-tour Bono" voice from the JT and Lovetown tours.

Canadiens1160 said:
Exactly. I seem to remember the Kermit shit being the "fallback tired out on-tour Bono" voice from the JT and Lovetown tours.

well yes he used to strain a lot during JT tour but listen to Love Rescue Me from 12-26-1989 Point Depot in Dublin...at around 3:10 is a perfect example of what I consider Kermit voice, when he sings "in the valley of the shadows"

He has different types of Kermit sounds though, for example...he does it in a different way in U23D at certain points in WOWY and One..."we're one, but we're not the same" - i'm pretty sure he uses Mr. Kermit right there :)... could be wrong though I'm just going on memory...

what you're referring to on JT tour was pretty much just a big short scream...

doctorwho said:
However, it's really a falsetto he uses to hit a note more powerfully, when his open throat voice might not be able to hit it. It's a good technique and he uses it sparingly enough such that it doesn't take away from the performance.

Okay, clearly we need some kind of Kermit Chart. So we can all have the same Kermit Frame of Reference, because my Kermit still differs from yours. We can create a whole Kermit World! :wink:

What I consider Kermit is not what I would call falsetto. I hear Kermit as Bono's "gee, my voice is tired but if I use falsetto for this note, it's like wussing out, and this note needs all the power because the song is full of aching power, so.... KEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!"

doctorwho said:

However, it's really a falsetto he uses to hit a note more powerfully, when his open throat voice might not be able to hit it.

I personaly prefer the real open voice versions(Milan dvd), it the most powerful of all versions. I think the note sound less powerful for an example on some 5th leg versions.

Rob33 said:

well yes he used to strain a lot during JT tour but listen to Love Rescue Me from 12-26-1989 Point Depot in Dublin...at around 3:10 is a perfect example of what I consider Kermit voice, when he sings "in the valley of the shadows"

He has different types of Kermit sounds though, for example...he does it in a different way in U23D at certain points in WOWY and One..."we're one, but we're not the same" - i'm pretty sure he uses Mr. Kermit right there :)... could be wrong though I'm just going on memory...

what you're referring to on JT tour was pretty much just a big short scream...

Yes, exactly. I think the kermit voice is something he uses when he reaches deep for more power on notes in a certain range, not something he uses to compensate for a lack of power. We may be describing two different things using the same muppet.

corianderstem said:

Bingo.

This thread has nothing to do with his Kermit voice.

The Kermit voice appeared occassionally on the Joshua Tree Tour. That's it really. It's appeared rarely aside from that.

It appears on "Exit" from the Joshua Tree Paris show, specifically on the verse with the "Healing ... healing ... healing hands of love" part.

phillyfan26 said:

Bingo.

This thread has nothing to do with his Kermit voice.

The Kermit voice appeared occassionally on the Joshua Tree Tour. That's it really. It's appeared rarely aside from that.

It appears on "Exit" from the Joshua Tree Paris show, specifically on the verse with the "Healing ... healing ... healing hands of love" part.

Also LT and some show shows at ZooTV :)

I've always thought that Bono had a little "Kermit" thing going on in his voice -especially during the Joshua Tree/Rattle & Hum days. I'd say its most prominent in Rattle & Hum during the live versions of "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" and "Bullet the Blue Sky" ("in the locust wind" -totally Kermit). Also, he seems to use the Kermit voice pretty well throughout "Christmas, Baby Please Come Home". He hasn't used it very prominently since those days -but I think he tried to resurect it a little in "Wave of Sorrow".

Patokeefe, I think you and I have the same Kermit understanding. We're on the same Kermit Wavelength. :wink:

:hi5:

Back
Top Bottom