Bono's fascination with blindness?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

*Stormy*

The disease rumor made me think of this. I have thought for a long time that Bono has some sort of fascination with blindness. He mentions it several times in his lyrics, though metaphorically.

He has used it as analogies in several interviews I have read. I noticed in concerts sometimes, he covers his eyes with his arm, or he waves his hands in front of him feigning blindness, like in NY in the Boston DVD.

I read a recent interview in MOJO magazine where he didn't sound at all like a man who wanted to go blind, talking about colors, beauty, watching the stars, and the 'joy of just seeing things.' I do think he is a very visual person, but somehow has a dark obsession with blindness and the dark. I have always noticed this about him, and maybe that's why the blindfold video and pics were so alluring and arousing to me. I thought I was sick, but then I saw on PLEBA I was definately not alone in the blindfolded Bono fantasies! Okay enough of that.

Am I totally sick or is there something to this? Regardless, the blindfold pics are hot.
wink.gif

------------------
~"A little out of touch, little insane, just easier than dealin' with the pain!" ~Soul Asylum, "Runaway Train"

I can relate to what Bono is singing about when he talks about blindness. Sometimes I allow my eyes to take in too much of a good thing. I read once that the eyes are the window to your soul...for Bono he has mentioned a fascination with sexuality in the form of beautiful women, and yet too much fascination can burn you if your not careful. So even though I would never wish blindness on myself or anyone else, and have a great sympathy for those who are blind...I sometimes like Bono wish for the blindness from the overindulgence I allow myself to get caught up in.

Also, I think Bono would speak of blindness in the sense of no longer wanting to see the pain and misery that comes from our world in the form of wars, guns, racial prejudice and indifference. Even though none of us would want blindness, to never see the blood of the innocent bombed in Israel, or Ireland, or Afganistan would be a beauty that not many of us will ever know. We live in an age we were have seen so much that we have become desensitized to the horror around us. So I can see why Bono would want the night to wrap around him, or seek the blindness that comes from not wanting to experience the blackness that is apart of our world.

Chris

Originally posted by spanisheyes:
Also, I think Bono would speak of blindness in the sense of no longer wanting to see the pain and misery that comes from our world in the form of wars, guns, racial prejudice and indifference. Even though none of us would want blindness, to never see the blood of the innocent bombed in Israel, or Ireland, or Afganistan would be a beauty that not many of us will ever know. We live in an age we were have seen so much that we have become desensitized to the horror around us. So I can see why Bono would want the night to wrap around him, or seek the blindness that comes from not wanting to experience the blackness that is apart of our world.

Chris

Exactly what I was going to say. I also think sometimes Bono covers his face/eyes to show that he isn't seeing clearly anymore, just doing things and not seeing the consequences. Am I making sense?

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

As well as Bono knows the Bible, it wouldn't surprise me if part of his interest also comes from the great frequency with which blindness is used as a metaphor there. Doing away with blindness is one of the major things that was predicted of Jesus (and which he actually did) but it's also used as a symbol a lot.

I especially think of a lengthy debate in Bono's favorite Gospel, John, where Jesus accuses leaders of organized religion of being spiritually blind.

This is all very interesting. Perhaps the this all ties in symbolically with his late obsession with shaded glasses. Starting with The Fly to the recent look with blue-tinted specs, shades have become a sort of symbol for Bono, a near-constant part of his style. Is there something more to it?

Excellent points everyone!! The symbolism, the Biblical connections, and the shades are all good discussions, and I believe they are all valid. That explains a lot! I forgot to mention the shades in my post, I wanted to add that too. Why would somebody want to cover such beautiful eyes? They have to impair his vision, especially indoors. I don't know why he wears them so much, in this pic, he looks blind.

BonoAndrea.jpg

Whenever I read stories and comments about him online from people other than U2 fans, I always see the comments about how they hate his shades, how they wish he'd take them off, how they'd like to break them, etc. I just like looking into his eyes. Sure he's cool, but he's prettier without them.

I was hoping for a deep, thought provoking and spiritual discussion, and once again I thank everyone for their input.

------------------
~"A little out of touch, little insane, just easier than dealin' with the pain!" ~Soul Asylum, "Runaway Train"

Originally posted by NicaMom:
Nice pic Stormy!
wink.gif

Oh, sorry, thanks Nica Mom! I had a small one, but I couldn't find it, and the huge one is better! Okay, you get the credit you deserve.

------------------

Back
Top Bottom