bono's falsetto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahsan316

Babyface
hey guys
can u tell me any U2 songs where bono uses a lot of his falsetto. preferrably in live concerts
i know about satellite of love and cant help falling in love but they're both not U2 songs

One. The whole falsetto at the end makes song universal in its interpretation. It adds an ambiguity that we love in U2 songs of, dare I say "that era", thus making a perfect close.

I know that many of my family members cannot stand Bono's falsetto - but I personally love it. I'd say some of my favorite tunes that feature that angelic cry are:

"Ultraviolet"
"So Cruel"
"In a Little While"
and of course,
"The Fly"

-[z]-

Electrical Storm, and in the live versions of Mysterious Ways, especially during the ZooTV Concerts, he does a falsetto at the end, a very good one.

I LOVE Bono's falsettos!

Zoocifer said:
"The Fly"

-[z]-

Hmmm you mean the "loooove we shine like a burning star" part? I always thought that was Edge singing on the album - i know he sang that in Zoo tv live shows as Bono sings the lower "a man will rise..." part.

:confused:

Falsetto songs: well, Tryin' to throw your arms around the world has a faboulus falsetto, Playboy mansion has some too.

Last edited:
U2girl said:

Hmmm you mean the "loooove we shine like a burning star" part? I always thought that was Edge singing on the album - i know he sang that in Zoo tv live shows as Bono sings the lower "a man will rise..." part.

:confused:

Nah. That's Bono's "fat lady voice" - remember? You are right though about Edge singing it during ZOO TV, though.

-[z]-

Also, Heartland and Love rescue me have some beautiful falsetto right at the end.

Zoocifer: now you confused me. To me, that particular falsetto always sounded un-Bono, if you know what i mean. Kind of different voice a bit, that's why i think it's Edge singing.

U2girl said:
Also, Heartland and Love rescue me have some beautiful falsetto right at the end.

Zoocifer: now you confused me. To me, that particular falsetto always sounded un-Bono, if you know what i mean. Kind of different voice a bit, that's why i think it's Edge singing.

The album version of the Fly is 100% Bono. He does both vocals. The Edge sings the high part live for the simple reason that Bono can't sing 2 vocal parts at once. If you listen to the falsetto on the album adn compare it to the live performances I think you can see the difference.

Hope this helps.

Peace.

Edge's falsetto sounds nothing like the studio take of "The Fly." Take pop_mofo's advice and listen to it and a live version in succession.

Zoocifer said:
I know that many of my family members cannot stand Bono's falsetto - but I personally love it. I'd say some of my favorite tunes that feature that angelic cry are:

"Ultraviolet"
"So Cruel"
"In a Little While"
and of course,
"The Fly"

-[z]-

Agreed. :yes:

I, too, love his falsetto (especially in "Can't Help Falling In Love"-god, I :heart: their version of that song-I think it's the way Bono sings the lyrics-makes them sweeter).

Angela

I always wondered why he didn't use his falsetto on his cover of "Unchained Melody." It would have been so perfect. I mean, I *love* his angsty, deprieved "I need your love" and it is certainly unique from the original but oh...it would have just been so cool with his falsetto!

Elisabeth

AvsGirl41 said:
I always wondered why he didn't use his falsetto on his cover of "Unchained Melody." It would have been so perfect. I mean, I *love* his angsty, deprieved "I need your love" and it is certainly unique from the original but oh...it would have just been so cool with his falsetto!

Elisabeth

Yeah...his falsetto on that song would've been interesting.

Angela

Wow! No one has mentioned ....

How can anyone not mention Bono's great falsettos from the 80's?

The Unforgettable Fire (chorus)
With Or Without You (the small segment where the music stops and he does his "oooohs")

Cheers,

J

Back
Top Bottom