"Bono's biggest sellout"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mug222

War Child
Check out this nonsense article in the Montreal Gazette: http://www.youtwo.net/news_archives.adp?newsid=15520

I generally don't reply to these diatribes but the e-mail was prominently displayed and I felt I should. This is what I sent:

Mr. Rodriguez,

I apologize that you find it cringeworthy that Bono should accompany the likes of O'Neil, Helms, and Gates, but your cynicism and scorn for Bono's work--which extends far beyond their latest "vanilla" album--has clouded your judgement.
Bono has always been an idealist, but as of late he has melded this idealism with reality. He recently accompanied Harvard economist Jeffrey Sachs--an expert in the technical aspects of HIV/AIDS and economic development--on a research trip to Africa to examine the problem first-hand. Sachs and Bono, along with various activists, are actively campaigning for hugely increased foreign aid for health, as outlined in the recent WHO-sponsored Commission on Macroeconomics and Health. Bono is no Elizabeth Taylor in this respect--not only does he understand the problem, but he is instrumental in inducing a needed shift in public support.
I offer you this information because it is clear from your article that you comprehend neither the depth of the problem, nor the role that Bono plays in the fight against these global issues. While you still innocently cling to "the rebelliousness and iconoclasm - call it punk - of rock'n'roll," Bono has arrived at the realization that he may have to engage in decidedly uncool activities to raise awareness and to raise money for the problem--if that means throwing back a few with O'Neil or become a symbolic "friend" of Helms.
Though you claim that you're "not young any more," I'd still suggest that you do your homework next time.

[This message has been edited by mug222 (edited 02-09-2002).]

well done. very calm, clear and eloquent, I congratulate you.

let us know if he replies to you...

[This message has been edited by The Wanderer (edited 02-09-2002).]

Amen!

Interferencers - taking down ignorant journos one email at a time
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by HelloAngel (edited 02-09-2002).]

Sure the article was harsh, and wrong at some aspects but the funny thing was that when I read it, I found out that I actually agreed with some of it. Whether I like that feeling or not. When I watched the halftime show I felt completely alienated from U2. Really. They were mainstream. Worse than mainstream. Trying to embrace everyone and trying to please everyone. That is everyone=America these days. Don't get me wrong. 11th September was the worst tragedy in the Western world in a long, long time but what on earth has U2 to do with that?! Is it their call to comfort everyone marked by the tragedy? Maybe its due to the fact that I'm not American but I really don't get it. In my opinion U2 should do what they are really good at. I don't mind politics and music being mixed but not on the cost of the latter...Where's U2's "we want to fuck up the mainstream"??!! - and being ahead of the game instead of - sorry - kissing everyone asses?!?

------------------
"There are only two ways to live your life. One is though nothing is a miracle. The other is though everything is a miracle". - A. Einstein

elevation, I really don't see a problem with U2 paying tribute to victims of tragedy, they've always done this sort of thing, it's unusual that this time it happens to be the United States; frankly, U2 was asked to do this, did you want them to turn it down and leave it to Janet Jackson (the 2nd choice), I don't understand the relevance of your argument about 'fucking up the mainstream,' did you want U2 to go out and play Lemon and Discotheque, would that have been appropriate? I'm sure that would have fucked things up, but wouldn't that have made U2 look like idiot fucking jerks with no sense of history or respect?? yeah, probably, and that's something that certainly isnt U2

February 9, 2002
From The Montreal Gazette:

Bono's biggest sellout: Super Bowl show was the final blow to U2 singer's
waning integrity
JUAN RODRIGUEZ

What's wrong with this picture?

Jesse Helms, the U.S. "Senator No" who turned his back on Nelson Mandela,
says to Bono: "You'll always have a friend here."

Paul O'Neil, the U.S. treasury secretary who said of Enron's wicked demise,
"Companies come and go," calls Bono "my good friend."

Synergy abounds: the pope swipes his wraparound shades for the ultimate
photo-op, and Bono dubs his high-powered pal Bill Gates "the pope of
software." Cap backward, deep in thought with Jean Chretien, Bono pats
Canadians on the heads for leading the good fight.

What can a poor boy do, except sing in a rock'n'roll band? You can't blame
Bono for earnestly trying to "engage" America on its own pedestal, can
you?

At the risk of sounding "cold," as thin-skinned Gen-X parlance has it,
consider that Bono might be suffering from delusions of grandeur.

"Heal thyself" is not exactly a rallying cry for the planet's fattest cats
that Bono hobnobs with, men with big cojones and hearts of steel.

They play Bono like a violin, establishing bleeding-heart "cred" while
reshaping the world in their corporate image.

He's the little bad boy invited to the grownups' parties because they
know how to "handle" him. He's the "hep" conversation piece.

If rock is symbolic of rebellion, Bono is blasphemous to its spirit. You
pay the price for breathing the rarefied wind of corporate globalism at the
Waldorf.

And so pharmaceutical companies aren't really greedy pikers picking the
pockets of the sick, says Bono, eschewing "easy bad guys and good
guys."

Sure as sin, he's quick with the flip caviar-encrusted quip: "The great thing
about hanging out with Republicans is that it's very unhip for both of
us. There's a parity of pain here." Right on, dude.

Internationalist Tendencies

Questioning Bono's motives is another matter. The pop star evidently believes
he can walk into any room and change the world. But, I wonder, isn't this all
about the Benjamins?

Consider U2 in a nutshell: having marched to the top of Reagan's era with
anthemic rock climaxed by The Joshua Tree, they shifted toward
internationalist tendencies with 1991's Achtung Baby.

Their interesting - if occasionally belaboured - experiment in postmodern
iconography (Zooropa, Pop) eventually alienated U.S. fans and critics
("irony-ensconced rock'n'roll Liberace," wrote Salon.com). Uh-oh.

Realizing they were starting to get a little long in the tooth - average age
40.5 - they decided to make one last killing: All That You Can't Leave
Behind, safe as milk. Voila: it's a Beautiful Day ("Don't let it get away"),
as bland and unprovocative as NSYNC.

Relentlessly touring with something called Elevation - post-irony
earnestness, or cynical put-on? - the Irishmen became America's band.

Ten million copies and eight Grammy nominations later, and hey dude, U2's
invited to America's ultimate keg party, the Super Bowl. Bono hypes:
"We are here to bring peace to Brady and Bledsoe, to bring peace to the
AFL and NFL." Beavis or Butt-head couldn't have said it any dumber.

On a heart-shaped stage - first rock band featured as a solo act at a Super
Bowl halftime! - there's Bono braying a creepy New Age mantra: "What
you don't have, you don't need it now." Try telling that to the hungry,
homeless and infirm, or those Enron suckers suddenly out of jobs and
pensions.

There's Bono wailing Where the Streets Have No Name, backed by a list
of U.S. Sept. 11 victims' names scrolling upward in alphabetical order.
Then the cathartic moment: Bono, lump in throat, opened his black jacket
to reveal a Stars and Stripes lining. (Did he buy the thing off the
Internet?)

This gesture cemented his status as Honorary American, free, free at last
to join the nauseatingly long list of 9/11 profiteers.

It's cool to co-opt and sell out. Indeed, the flimflam that passed as the
U.S. economy over the last decade - call it a shell game lining the pockets of
a few at the expense of everyone else - was hyped as a 1960s-styled
"people's revolution" (a scam scabrously and presciently chronicled in
Thomas Frank's superb screed One Market Under God).

Bono knows the lesson: Davos tycoons rule!

I'm not young any more. This geezer is into music other than rock (jazz,
classical, world beats), yet I believe deeply in the rebelliousness and
iconoclasm - call it punk - of rock'n'roll.

I still get a thrill discovering - or stumbling across - some new young band
that typifies these qualities, just as Jerry Lee Lewis's Whole Lotta Shakin'
Going On still sends shivers up my spine.

But corporate sounds - and the message of "Consume this" and "Show
me the money" - turn my stomach.

That means U2, Bono.

- Juan Rodriguez, former music critic for the Montreal Star and The Gazette,
has been writing about popular culture for numerous publications
since 1966. His E-mail address is jrodxxx@hotmail.com.

jrodxxx@hotmail.com
Well there is the E-mail, and I'm going to send him one to educate him a little about U2. Its sad to see these people in the media that have jobs when they are so uninformed about the issues they write about!

You know what really gets me? And I am not even American, but I do live in Canada, so maybe my proximitey plays a factor, but- why is it ok for other nations to mourn over tragic events and not the US?
A huge part of the reason U2 are being called sellouts is because they are showing compassion for the victims of 9/11 and because this tragedy happened in America. I know there are a lot of people in a lot of nations that dislike America beyond words, but what people seem to fail to see here, is the fact that these were people too, just like anywhere else. America didn't deserve what happened, no one did. Politics and Bush aside, the people are just trying to get past all this, through patriotism, hope and love. I say if U2 gave the people of America, just a little bit more hope, and a little bit more love with their 'patriotic' performance at the Super Bowl, then I say more power to them! Sure people slag Bono and his American Flag jacket. Sure they say his blatant show of support for America is 'selling out' and goes against their ideals of the 80's. I say bullocks to all of it.
U2 are performers and that's what they do- perform. But they are also people too, with a lot of compassion. And that all aside, they are very political, and have never stopped being so.
You can show compassion for a country that has experienced a great loss, while at the same time not agreeing with everything they stand for. So how in the hell are U2 sellouts?
It irks me, because I had to listen to an entire class full of ignorant people on Thursday night yelling such accusations, and all I could do was keep my mouth shut, because such stupidity and narrowmindedness is not worth fighting with.
Sorry for the rant. Just needed to get this off my chest.

Angel,
What class was this that you were at on Thursday night? Was all that hostility really directed towards U2?

Well believe it or not, the class was Evolution of Public Relations, but we spent the first 1/2 talking about current events and such, and YEAH, all that hostility was directed at U2. Then they went on to hack down Paul and Mariah. Guess that's the cool thing to do.

If anyone says U2 are selling out, just put on Passengers or Pop. That should shut them up for a while!

But seriously, a few points...

* How can U2 be deemed too patriotic when they aren't even American?
* As an outsider looking in, it does amuse me that certain Americans are getting upset by all this talk. The two main performers on the day were U2 and Paul McCartney. What do they both have in common? Yes, neither is American. Where were the American artists?

Originally posted by STING2:
How old are the people in the class?

Anywhere from age 19-50+ The majority are 30-40, but what does that have to do with anything?

I am canadian. (thanks to Molson that sounds pathetic!) Some people I work with were slagging the flag jacket too. Whatever. It's strange how a lot of canadians find it so uncool to show some support towards the US after 9/11. They think its all political. The real issue are the 3,000+ people who had families, dreams and futures. If Bono and the boys can't pay tribute to them without without being slagged we are really in trouble!

It's a balancing act with U2 and it always has been. I worry sometimes that Bono is being used or patronized by a lot of the politicians he's associating with. I worry that the last album and tour are an almost frantic attempt to curry favor with casual American fans. I worry that U2 has become so obligatory over the last year that they've lost some of their impact. Hearing a U2 song should make you stop in your tracks and open your heart. It ought to be a revelation. But after appearances on David Letterman, Jay Leno, Saturday Night Live, the SuperBowl, Farmclub, the NBA halftime show, Total Request Live and God only knows how many other programs in Europe seeing U2 on tv has lost its impact. Isn't one of Bono's commandments for young bands, "Beware of Television for it minimizes what you do?"
A few things reassure me. 1.) The guys are smart and they learn from their mistakes.
2.) I actually really love ATYCLB and Elevation.
3.) U2's public face never stays the same for very long.

Hopefully U2 will be fucking up the mainstream again soon and the politicians will be falling all over themselves to disassociate themselves from Bono.

"I did not exchange pleasantries with that bozo Bono."
Jesse Helms 2003.

MAP

From what I've learned about U2 in the last year and a half of my ultra-fandom, the boys have always had a thing for America which clearly goes beyond the mere business interests. So all this Superbowl/American jacket business is hardly surprising and I don't see it as jumping on a bandwagon of any kind.

I think that some fans make way too much deal of Bono's "fucking up the mainstream" speech. They've always said that they wanted to be the biggest band in the world and they want everyone to hear their music, not just their fans (despite Bono's "we don't need pop kids" comment, which IMO has also been blown way out of proportion just because it makes the "true" fans feel good and superior). I'm probably being unfair, but I do feel sometimes that some fans might be a bit too possessive of the band and their music.

I don't find it strange that they are on all these TV programs now. I'm like, they are finally getting back to the early days of the band when they did TV all the time in Ireland and Europe! TV is simply another way of promoting yourself just like MTV and radio.
I don't find ATYCLB mainstream at all!?!?! How could anyone think that? It is certainly not Teen POP, hip hop, R&B, or "Rap/Metal"! Thats mainstream. Writing songs that don't chase trends or worry about style, and are the raw product, is in a way alternative to what is heard on the radio today. Oh and about the whole roots thing, I dare anyone here to name another U2 album that sounds like ATYCLB.

This Rodriguez guy is an idiot. He probably think the real "rebelliousness and iconoclasm" is found in Linkin Park or Limp Bizkit, who can only rant but can't rap on some angst that a five-year old can dish out.

How many bands have actually changed the world with rocknroll???

I bet, certainly, not the bands Rodriguez been listening to... "all that jazz" of his.

In the words of Bono,

Don't believe in Rodriguez
His type like a curse
Instant karma's going to get him
If I don't get him first
Don't believe in rock 'n' roll
Can really change the world
As it spins in revolution
It spirals and turns
I...I believe in love

Don't believe in the 60's
The golden age of pop
You glorify the past
When the future dries up
Heard a singer on the radio late last night
He says he's gonna kick the darkness
'til it bleeds daylight
I...I believe in love

I feel like I'm falling
Like I'm spinning on a wheel
It always stops beside of me
With a presence I can feel
I...I believe in love

God Part II

Umm... I can't see how anyone can claim that U2 are NOT a mainstream band. They've sold over a hundred million of records; they've had no. 1 albums and singles all over the world and just had a second most high-grossing tour of all time. More than that, they clearly enjoy their fame and they never were the "reluctant stars" like REM, Pearl Jam or Pink Floyd. They never hid their ambitions for the Beatles-sized glory or approached the idea of mainstream success with the indie-band mentality. "Mainstream" doesn't equal "sell-out" or "bad music"; sure, 90% of it is pure crap, but so is 90% of anything: movies, TV ads, paintings, theatre plays, and yes, non-mainstream music too.

Originally posted by elevation:
Sure the article was harsh, and wrong at some aspects but the funny thing was that when I read it, I found out that I actually agreed with some of it. Whether I like that feeling or not. When I watched the halftime show I felt completely alienated from U2. Really. They were mainstream. Worse than mainstream. Trying to embrace everyone and trying to please everyone. That is everyone=America these days. Don't get me wrong. 11th September was the worst tragedy in the Western world in a long, long time but what on earth has U2 to do with that?! Is it their call to comfort everyone marked by the tragedy? Maybe its due to the fact that I'm not American but I really don't get it. In my opinion U2 should do what they are really good at. I don't mind politics and music being mixed but not on the cost of the latter...Where's U2's "we want to fuck up the mainstream"??!! - and being ahead of the game instead of - sorry - kissing everyone asses?!?

First Mug222, another contrats on a great email!
smile.gif

Second, Hi! I'm Sherry Darlin, and I most hang out in PLEAB but this was too great a thread to miss. I wanted to respond to the above post.

1. According to an article I read from atU2.com, U2 didn't even receive any money for their performance. (That made me really very proud to be a fan!)

2. I hear what you're saying, Elevation, about them being too mainstream but I think of it this way: their f--king it up from the inside. That's a lot more effective, really. When I hear, for example, Stuck in a Moment on the radio, followed by Janet Jackson or Spears or the INync, the weakness of *most* mainstream stuff is made clear. Consider the mainstream effed.
wink.gif

3. I'm not sure how they are trying to "please everyone" with their cheerleading for America. Let's remember, there are people who think we're not necesarily going about things the right way and also people who prefer their rock without politic soul, thank you.
wink.gif
Also, it's worth remembering these are men who have dealt with terrorism first-hand themselves. I'm sure that has something to do with their outpouring of compassion and solidaity. I think what Bono wanted to do was remind people that rock can, if done right, be a spiritual, unifying force, and a healing one. This IS what U2 "is really good at."

4. All points about overexposure well taken.
wink.gif
As a fan, I'm loving it, but after the Bowl, I'd almost have them lay low for a bit and let that be their (temporary) farewell after a great album and tour.

Thanks for listening...sorry if this was long.
smile.gif

SD

------------------
You don't have to be Henry Kissenger to figure out that a more prosperous world is a more secure world; a more educated world is a more tolerant world; and a more healthy world is a more stable world, and I think that would be a fitting memorial to those who lost their lives on Sept. 11th. ~Bono on Leno, Thanksgiving 2001

The article made me so angry I could hardly see straight. But that's probably because those sentiments have been rumbling around for a while -- Rodriguez is just the first guy to spell it out...for "their" side.
wink.gif
I'm angry and, yes, defensive because (as I believe in compromise in much the same spirit Bono does) there's a fear their side is somehow "right"... as long as one sees through adolescent bad guy/good guy lenses. It's disconcerting to let go of your youthful assumptions, you know. To hate the sin and see the value in loving the sinner, rather than in wiping him off the face of the earth. Rodriguez obviously believes in problems, not solutions, in white hats and black hats. Oh, and that anyone who attempts to love the sinner better get out of rock'n'roll. Well, okay, they can have their argument, it works for them. Rock'n'roll better not grow up.

Bollocks, indeed. Bono's always been an easy target because he is not coy. His feelings are BIG, and that's uncool to cynics.
Is it their call to comfort everyone marked by the tragedy?
Actually, I think it is. Not in a "nursing" sense, obviously, but empathy and compassion have always been their creative fuel, their "inner" call, and this is all consistent with that. They played Sarajevo; they wrote a song called "Miss Sarajevo" -- for the same reasons. No one accused them of sellout. Loving America for the wrong reasons is the bane of my existence as a Canadian, believe me (no offense intended!), but loving Americans for the right reasons is what the Superbowl (for once) tried to be about. "Sellout." Crikey. Yeah, so that his "mainstream" recitation from Psalm 51 could sell more bibles, yeah, that's it. Whatever.

Thank you, mug, for being more coherent than me.
biggrin.gif
But had to get that off MY chest.

Deb D

------------------
take some time out and entertain the questions of a
longing heart
-- Steve Beard

the greatest frontman in the world - by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

I'm sick of people nitpicking U2 for their patriotism. The general attitude is, "They're Irish, we're American, this tragedy happened here." Blah blah. Sorry, weren't people of all nationalities and races killed in the terrorist attacks? Yep, thought so. American arrogance goes a long way in trying to prove invalid points. *sarcasm*

Okay...here it goes.
You know what?
I wasn't going to let any of this shit bother me...but sure enough it did.
Being a redhead doesn't help me here...LOL..my blood has been in a slow incline to a boil since I've read Mr.Rodriguez's article a couple of days back.
I wasn't even going to respond to this thread...but what the fuck...why the hell not?
Not only am I responding to this thread...but I also emailed that bastard too.
I wasn't going to...but when push comes to shove...well you know the rest...
Here's my email to that poor excuse for a journalist...and I have to warn you..it's a little long...sorry in advance
biggrin.gif

Dearest Juan,
I have read your article numerous times..over and over again.
I have never read your work before...but being a fan of U2 since 1982, I had the opportunity to stumble upon your work.
Now I'm sure you have had heaps of emails since submitting this said article, but I do hope you have patience to read one more.
I will even try to keep it short.
What disturbed me the most was the sensational title "Bono's Biggest Sellout". That alone is proof that you are trying to get the reader's attention in a way that is not much different from what the National Enquirer and other trash magazines do on a daily basis.
Considering your age...I would expect more from a "respected" journalist like you. Coining the word "Sellout" is just about as lame as your article. That word gets thrown around much too often...and somehow the meaning gets lost. Maybe you should start revamping your vocab. That would be a great place to start. Because the title "Bono's biggest sellout" just screams out to me "sensationalism". You often take shots below the belt on Bono's choices of words...well, you need to look in the mirror. How about working on yourself first before tearing apart someone else? Just some advice.
Suffice it to say...you are not a fan of U2.
That is okay by me. Not everyone is.
How about accepting the fact that people do like this band? And Bono,for that matter?
I thought your article was going to deal with Bono's activities in world politics,etc...but then you forayed into critiquing U2's musical history and work. Now that led me to thinking...now what is it exactly that is bothering this guy? Is it Bono's attempts or motives on the world economics front...or is it the music? You went from bashing his "hobnobbing with men with big cojones and hearts of steel" to stating "realizing they were starting to get a little long in the tooth....they decided to make one last killing...All That You Can't Leave Behind...safe as milk". Your lack of focus is evident throughout the entire article. It is something slightly short of comical. Maybe you should consider writing for the Sunday morning comics instead.
Good journalism? I think not.
What you did accomplish,though, is probably something you never intended.
You came across as sour grapes. As a ranter and a raver,without focus or making any sense. It actually made me SAD for you. Here you are, behind your desk, in front of your computer...complaining away about someone who is trying to make a difference in this world. Whether Bono suceeds or fails, that remains to be seen. How are YOU trying to change the world? Or are you just one of those miserables that live their everyday bitching and moaning? Do you think Bono is affected by anything you said? I think not.
If anything..you have provided him with a BIG chuckle. He's going to go on his way, on his terms...brushing the "Juan Rodriguez Dust" off his shoulders so to speak. Nothing you can say or do will stop that man. Perhaps what essentially bothers you is the fact that Bono is a "go-getter". And I admire him for that.
Change doesn't happen if you sit on your arse complaining how bad things are. Unless you yourself are trying to affect change to better this world, I can't see your article being anything more than a grumpy old "geezer" showing his true colours. Hey..you called it...referring to yourself as "this geezer"...and what a fitting description of oneself!!
There may even be some anti-psychotic medicine prescriptions in your near future. Your dislike for Bono came across to me as a little on the "unhealthy" side. Please keep yourself away from guns, knives, and pretty much anything else that may induce harm onto others. Your intense loathing of Bono was all over the board...much to the same tune "a la Mark Chapman-John Lennon". Very scary indeed. You have a lot of work to do on yourself...and I suggest you start right away.
Try listening to "Give Peace a Chance". That just might calm you down.
Wishing you luck in your future,
Autumn

Originally posted by Angel:
Anywhere from age 19-50+ The majority are 30-40, but what does that have to do with anything?

Because your class of 30-40 year olds (and I am in that age range) sound like a bunch of uneducated children. One could forgive a naive teenager or an overzealous 20-something for such comments. But a person in his/her 30's or older should know better than to make silly accusations for no apparent reason.

The odd thing is, I've heard nothing but praise from the people I know - even those who aren't big U2 fans. And, as horribly snobbish as this sounds, it appears that the group of people I know are better informed. Angel - if these people are as stupid as they sound, then you'll easily get the only "A" in the class. LOL!

BONO'S BIGGEST SELLOUT

When I read this article I became angry and confused. Angry at the writer for
only telling half the story and confused because maybe he had a legitimate
point.

It is too easy to simply speak with one's heart and ignore one's mind. That
is why I try to be objective.

Some retorts to Mr. Rodriguez' article that I sent to him:
1. he calls Bono & U2 sellouts yet he fails to mention that they played the
Super Bowl for free

2. he claims that punk rock is rebellious and Bono is blasphemous to this;
yet I ask Rodriguez: isn't supporting an unpopular and unhip cause(debt
relief) some form of rebellion?

3. How is ATYCLB selling out if it DOES NOT sound like any other
mainstream/pop music on the radio today?

4. he criticizes Bono for hobnobbing with politicians and powerful people yet
ignores the fact that this is his most viable way to garner interest for a
good cause

5. In the media's eyes you can't win: if U2 would have written another
irony-filled, synth-induced album it may have been flawed and hated by the
band(even U2 admitted that POP was flawed) and fans/critics. One listen to
ATYCLB and you can see the synergy in Bono's lyrics and what he has been
expressing in his life over the past few years(world issues, death, mid-life
crisis) which DOES make it anything but selling out. If he were truly
selling out he may have written hip-hop/pop or angst-ridden material.

In the end Bono will get criticized no matter what he does: if he doesn't
support causes people will wonder if he has given up his beliefs and
convictions and if he does continue to support them, writers will take shots
at him for hanging around with people that are different then him. Remember,
if you constantly criticize people and have an opinion like Bono so often
does, he is then fair game for criticism to be redirected at him.

Finally, I realize that there is no wrong or right, just opinons. Lets be
fair here: you shouldn't dismiss someone or something simply b/c you disagree
with them. If he or she brings credible evidence to support the issue, you
should think about it and try to see both sides, then form an opinion.

I look forward to any and all replies

Originally posted by MBH:

2. he claims that punk rock is rebellious and Bono is blasphemous to this;
yet I ask Rodriguez: isn't supporting an unpopular and unhip cause(debt
relief) some form of rebellion?

I think you have a great point there. A lot of people seem to understand *rebellion* as listening to 'subversive' music or wearing unusual clothes...basically rebelling against the *mainstream* I suppose. But I think sometimes it's about rebelling against the boxes you get put in, the labels people give you. If people define a rock band as a group of people who drink, smoke, do drugs, trash hotel rooms, sleep with a different girl every night and comment in every interview that you don't give a fuck what people think of you, then you're rebelling if you refuse to fit into that narrow little category. Doing all the things they expect isn't rebellion. Being rebellious according to their definition of rebellion absolutely defeats the object.

So I completely agree with you there. I think getting involved in something which people wouldn't expect you to, or might tell you not to, is a way of rebelling.

And isn't trying to do something that's going to make a difference in the world another form of rebellion? Against the way we're told day after day that we should just accept the world the way it is and never over-step the line and try to change what's wrong. That's a whole lot more *rebellious* than throwing a chair through a window or whatever the stereotypical rock'n'roll style rebellion is.

I don't think I've seen you post here before...so welcome and I thought you had some really interesting ideas there
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by FizzingWhizzbees (edited 02-13-2002).]

God what a bitchy email I sent that man!!!!
But you know what?
I would do it again.
All that man achieved by writing such an article was to put his own shortgivings on display.
I'm sorry...but that man is one miserable bastard.
Why scorn those who are trying to help the world?
And I'm sorry...but that comment about the American Flag lining in his jacket..."what? did he purchase that over the Internet?" comment....was just simply too imbecile for me to handle...
What an asshole. A Chapman in the waiting.

Back
Top Bottom