Bono's Band

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

80sU2isBest

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
When I first discovered U2 (1984), the musician that I appreciated the most was Larry. He had a wild, often "tribal", way of drumming that was very very unique. But now, it's Bono that I really appreciate the most. In fact, it has gone so far in that direction that when I think about U2, I think about Bono. Larry, Edge, and Adam, though great musicians they are, don't really pop into my mind. U2 has become "Bono's Band" for me. Anyone else feel this way?

"I think that Edge is the head of the band,
I'm the heart, and Adam and Larry are the feet."
- Bono, 1981

Take any one part away, and they wouldn't have the power and magic that they do.

I think bono has directed the band where to go. It seems when Bono became a Christian they made October. When Bono started listening to country music they made R&H. When Bono went back to Europe and got into dance and the club scene they made Achtung baby and Zooropa.

I think it is clear that it is Bono's band. The others are just there to keep him under control.

Originally posted by The Arms of America:
I think bono has directed the band where to go. It seems when Bono became a Christian they made October. When Bono started listening to country music they made R&H. When Bono went back to Europe and got into dance and the club scene they made Achtung baby and Zooropa.

I think it is clear that it is Bono's band. The others are just there to keep him under control.

A quote from Bono comes to mind:

"we often discuss and argue and then we do as I say" or something like that...
biggrin.gif

Even if I am into Bono, U2 would never be the same without any of them and I hate when reporters write Bono's U2. I always think, if it's anyones U2, it's Larry's.
So, no I don't agree.
smile.gif

I think some of adam's basslines are really inspired, that edge's guitar playing is incredible, that larry's a really solid drummer. Bono's lyrics and quotability are great, but if the music sounded like sh!t, I wouldn't buy their records. He's a great frontman and certainly the most visible member of U2, but I think edge is the musical genius of the group, and that larry and adam are a very solid rhythm section-- without any of those 3, U2 would not be where it is right now.

I agree Bono has been the one who dictates the direction U2 is going for the last couple of years

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I think while that may be a natural conception due to the fact that Bono is 1. The front man. 2. Highly visible in politics. and 3. Can't shut up.
wink.gif
However, it's pretty safe to say that we have no clue what goes on in the studio and how the interplay between the band works when it comes to making the music. For all we know, Edge may be the one calling the shots or Larry or Adam for that matter. I guess for myself, I can't think of U2 without thinking of all 4 of them simultaneously.

As much as I love *Bono*, yes, 80's-U2 is ALL 4 of them! the magic just wouldn't be there without All of them!! But I do see what you are saying, still...thye all inspire each other!

it's paul mcguiness' band!

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Eh, I remember having a conversation similar to this about the U2 Encyclopedia. You have a band called U2... the book boasts that it covers the biggest band in the world.... well, if you're going to have a book about the biggest band in the world, the least you could do is put a picture of all FOUR members on the front cover, not relegate Larry, Edge, and Adam to the back and Bono on the front.

All four of them work off of each other. If one of them doesn't exist within the four, the sound isn't the same and the band isn't U2 anymore.

Moonie

Its all four of them, but if you had to pick just one person, it would be THE EDGE! The Edge writes the most music in the band, and has directed the band in key situations. The only reason Joshua Tree was not a double album was because Edge was against it. The Edge decides how he wants things to sound on guitar and the rest of the band falls in around that. The Edge SINGS, plays keyboard, uses his feet to start sequencers and other sounds, in addition to playing guitar. The Edge often writes to lyrics to many U2 songs. Bottom line, if anyone one in the band was to embark on a solo career, and I mean SOLO career, the Edge would be most likely to succeed.

I think Bono has the most to do with the direction in terms of lyrics (obviously), general image and "spirit" at different times. The Edge, however, is hands down the most important musically, which might make him the most important member overall, given that this is, after all, a music band. Adam and Larry are fine musicians and cool guys who keep the crazies with the hats somewhat grounded.
biggrin.gif
I wouldn't honestly say that they're as important as Bono and the Edge are to what we as the fans get from U2. But I also think that you could not take away any one of the members and still have "U2." There's something about the band that makes them so special that isn't really to do with music. Friendship, I guess, or something.

I agree with Sting about Edge and a solo career. It might be arty, but it would probably be good. I'm not so sure about Bono's solo career.

------------------
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colours came out

I was listening to PopMart at Vegas (a performance that's so bad it's charming) and I thought Edge singing Daydream Believer was just a ton of fun. Wish he'd talk more. I laughed when I heard him say "I've always wanted to do this" and hand the refrain over to the crowd.

Still, while you could say Edge is their leader musically and Bono, uh, talks a lot, they have such a unique chemistry that I think they would sound and feel quite a bit different if one member were missing.

I wonder what it would be like if, in addition to being a musical heart of the band, Edge had Bono's loud show-off personality... they probably wouldn't last past Feedback,
smile.gif

I guess it's understandable why so many people call U2 "Bono's band" when you've got such a vivid extroverted personality fronting the group, but it's still pretty obvious that they wouldn't get anywhere without each other. I once read an interview with Edge where he was asked whether he'd ever consider going solo, to which he replied that he'd probably end up working with the same people anyway.

Hmmmm...i don't know.

IMO, Bono&Edge are the key factors lyrically&musically, but i think in the end all the decisions are made within the whole group.

Originally posted by STING2:
Bottom line, if anyone one in the band was to embark on a solo career, and I mean SOLO career, the Edge would be most likely to succeed.
I'm not so sure I agree with that. I think that while Edge certainly has the guitar talent that could make a good solo career, I think Bono has one up on him in the singing department and lyrics department for sure, not to mention the charisma it takes to succeed in the music business. Sure, Edge can write some great music, but Bono's not exactly a novice in that department, either. Bono of course can't play an instrument as well as Edge, but that's what studio musicians are for. Bono would write and sing the songs, and the musicians play the instruments. Sounds like a perfect recipe for success to me.

I think as far as songwriting goes, Edge is just as vital as Bono. I'd imagine it's like most great songwriting duos - they are better together than on their own. As a matter of fact, when I think of U2, I most often think of Bono and Edge, as it seems from interviews that when it comes to really getting out the song structure, most of it falls on Edge and then Bono.

Just a few examples, Edge came up with the genius intro to Streets, he also came up with the majority of Sunday Bloody Sunday (Bono came in and changed the lyrics, of course). Anyway, my point is that great lyrics aren't enough if the melody and structure sucks, and a great melody and song structure is nothing without good lyrics. So I don't particularly view either Bono or Edge as stronger than each other. And in Flanagan's book Adam or Larry (or maybe both, I forget) discuss that if they were to do a split according to who does the most work in the band, then it would probably be in Bono and Edge's favor.

Not to say that Adam and Larry don't pull any weight. I think they're great because Edge and Bono can throw all these weird ideas at them and Adam and Larry can take it all on. And there's no denying that certain songs do seem to be geared more towards the drums and bass.

So to sum all this up, the way I see it, it's Bono and Edge, then Adam and Larry, but they all form a very cohesive unit.

[This message has been edited by Diemen (edited 04-25-2002).]

Originally posted by Diemen:
a great melody and song structure is nothing without good lyrics.

This I don't agree with, actually. Haven't you ever listened to a song and gone, "Dumb lyrics, but it just sounds so darn good!"? It's music, and for that reason the music itself tends to be much more important than the lyrics. I admire Bob Dylan's lyrics but I can't stand his voice. I would far rather listen to a song with great melody and sound but silly or lousy lyrics than one with brilliant lyrics and crummy music. In the latter case, I may as well just read the lyrics!

------------------
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colours came out

Edge? Who's this "Edge" guy??

------------------
"The Edge is a great singer. Let's get the Edge up here." - Bono, 9/23/97, Sarajevo

"Brian Eno. Edge." - Bono, 09/12/95, Modena

"Edge! Edge! Edge!" - Bono 12/30/89, Dublin

"Edge." - Bono, 05/01/2001, Minneapolis

When somebody says U2, I suppose I would associate Bono with that word the majority of the time. But if I think about it for more than just the 10 seconds necessary for a word association, then I can't imagine the band without the 4 members.

Besides, I have a thing for Larry ever since he gave me his stick.
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom