Bono's Band

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Both the lyrics and music of Sunday Bloody Sunday were written by the EDGE! Same with Seconds! And the Edge can sing both! Edge is a better singer than Bono is guitar player or writer of music. I also think the Edge writes better lyrics than Bono writes music. There for, I think the EDGE would be most successful on his OWN.

In my opinion, I think the Edge is just as vital, if not more vital than Bono. When you hear a U2 song, you know it's 'a U2 song' because of Edge's guitar rather than Bono's voice or lyrics. The Edge is the essence-- the sound-- of U2; he's what makes their music unique and so distinct. IMO, A band with just Bono, Larry, and Adam would not sound like U2; but a band with just Edge, Larry, and Adam would. Yeah, the lyrics might not be as emotional or poetic, but the music would be all U2.

Originally posted by Quinthopper:
In my opinion, I think the Edge is just as vital, if not more vital than Bono. When you hear a U2 song, you know it's 'a U2 song' because of Edge's guitar rather than Bono's voice or lyrics. The Edge is the essence-- the sound-- of U2; he's what makes their music unique and so distinct.
You know, this used to be the case, but I don't think it is anymore. Back in the days of pre-Unforgettable Fire, you'd hear that trademark Edge guitar sound (which is actually a trademark "Stuart Adamson of The Skids - before he was in Big Country" sound) and say "wow, that is U2", but I don't think that's the case anymore. And it certainly wasn't the case with Zooopa. Now, I think more people would recognize U2 by Bono's voice than by Edge's guitar.

Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:
You know, this used to be the case, but I don't think it is anymore. Back in the days of pre-Unforgettable Fire, you'd hear that trademark Edge guitar sound (which is actually a trademark "Stuart Adamson of The Skids - before he was in Big Country" sound) and say "wow, that is U2", but I don't think that's the case anymore. And it certainly wasn't the case with Zooopa. Now, I think more people would recognize U2 by Bono's voice than by Edge's guitar.[/B]

Yes, I'll grant you that U2 didn't sound like the so-called "classic" U2 on Zooropa; however, for me, in Joshua Tree, R&H, Achtung Baby, Pop, and ATYCLB, Edge shines through -- maybe not with that "trademark" style you're referring to, but you know it's the Edge. Joshua Tree especially, you recognize those song's because of the Edge. With "Where the Streets Have No Name" you hear that organ, then Edge plays 3 notes and you're like, "Yup, U2".

With the latest release, it wasn't Bono's voice that brought U2 back into the mainstream recognizability, it was the Edge. Beautiful Day, Walk on, and pretty much the rest of the album has Edge's signature all over them. Without that, ATYCLB would have been "just another" collection of rock/pop tunes. Just my opinion, though.

Originally posted by Quinthopper:
With the latest release, it wasn't Bono's voice that brought U2 back into the mainstream recognizability, it was the Edge. Beautiful Day, Walk on, and pretty much the rest of the album has Edge's signature all over them. Without that, ATYCLB would have been "just another" collection of rock/pop tunes. Just my opinion, though.
Yeep...it's pretty cool that so many people can hear the same music and appreciate it for so many different reasons.

Originally posted by STING2:
Both the lyrics and music of Sunday Bloody Sunday were written by the EDGE! Same with Seconds! And the Edge can sing both! Edge is a better singer than Bono is guitar player or writer of music. I also think the Edge writes better lyrics than Bono writes music. There for, I think the EDGE would be most successful on his OWN.

Actually, only the music to Sunday Bloody Sunday is Edge's. I don't remember where, but there's an old interview with Bono where he says that he was on vacation and came back and Edge had Sunday Bloody Sunday well on it's way, but the lyrics weren't as strong or defiant as he'd liked, so he changed them. But the original spirit of Sunday Bloody Sunday definitely was started by Edge.

Edge has taken lyric writing credits on the last couple of albums and he took a co-producing credit on Zooropa.
U2's popularity in the U.S. took off again once the band convinced Edge to recycle some of his classic sounds and treatments.
Anyone who has read At the End of the World knows that the sound on Achtung Baby was hugely influenced by Edge and his musical tastes at the time.

I love Bono. He's the best frontman in the world but Bono without Edge wouldn't be nearly as great. Don't agree? Name one Bono solo performance that ranks with the best U2 tracks. And Edge of course wouldn't be nearly as great without Bono. And Bono and Edge are all the more great because of Larry and Adam. None of their albums or live performances would sound the same without each of the boys performing on them. They're a team. They're a band. It's not that complicated.

The reason 80's and other U2 fans are starting to perceive U2 as the "BonoBand" is because Bono never, ever, ever shuts up. He's everywhere. Heck he had four acceptance speaches at the Grammy's to satiate his greed for gab and he still wouldn't let Edge get a brief joke in. HE CUT HIM OFF!! Told him to shut up. Of course it was funny but it was also classic Bono. He's a loudmouth. Did you know the last Grammy Walk On won was also an award for Lanois and Eno? Of course you didn't because Bono forgot to thank them much less let Lanois (who was standing right behind him) say a word. LOUDMOUTH thy name is Bono.

MAP

Back
Top Bottom