Bono's Band - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2002, 11:36 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 05:07 AM
I think Bono has the most to do with the direction in terms of lyrics (obviously), general image and "spirit" at different times. The Edge, however, is hands down the most important musically, which might make him the most important member overall, given that this is, after all, a music band. Adam and Larry are fine musicians and cool guys who keep the crazies with the hats somewhat grounded. I wouldn't honestly say that they're as important as Bono and the Edge are to what we as the fans get from U2. But I also think that you could not take away any one of the members and still have "U2." There's something about the band that makes them so special that isn't really to do with music. Friendship, I guess, or something.

I agree with Sting about Edge and a solo career. It might be arty, but it would probably be good. I'm not so sure about Bono's solo career.

------------------
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colours came out

Old 04-23-2002, 11:41 PM   #22
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:07 PM
I was listening to PopMart at Vegas (a performance that's so bad it's charming) and I thought Edge singing Daydream Believer was just a ton of fun. Wish he'd talk more. I laughed when I heard him say "I've always wanted to do this" and hand the refrain over to the crowd.

Still, while you could say Edge is their leader musically and Bono, uh, talks a lot, they have such a unique chemistry that I think they would sound and feel quite a bit different if one member were missing.

Old 04-24-2002, 04:10 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I wonder what it would be like if, in addition to being a musical heart of the band, Edge had Bono's loud show-off personality... they probably wouldn't last past Feedback,

I guess it's understandable why so many people call U2 "Bono's band" when you've got such a vivid extroverted personality fronting the group, but it's still pretty obvious that they wouldn't get anywhere without each other. I once read an interview with Edge where he was asked whether he'd ever consider going solo, to which he replied that he'd probably end up working with the same people anyway.
Old 04-24-2002, 01:20 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:07 AM
Hmmmm...i don't know.

IMO, Bono&Edge are the key factors lyrically&musically, but i think in the end all the decisions are made within the whole group.
Old 04-24-2002, 01:49 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2:
Bottom line, if anyone one in the band was to embark on a solo career, and I mean SOLO career, the Edge would be most likely to succeed.
I'm not so sure I agree with that. I think that while Edge certainly has the guitar talent that could make a good solo career, I think Bono has one up on him in the singing department and lyrics department for sure, not to mention the charisma it takes to succeed in the music business. Sure, Edge can write some great music, but Bono's not exactly a novice in that department, either. Bono of course can't play an instrument as well as Edge, but that's what studio musicians are for. Bono would write and sing the songs, and the musicians play the instruments. Sounds like a perfect recipe for success to me.

Old 04-25-2002, 02:04 AM   #26
Ana
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Location: Another Time, Another Place, in The Electric Co. ; behind the Shadows and Tall Trees
Local Time: 10:07 PM
What 80sU2isBest said
Old 04-25-2002, 05:51 AM   #27
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

I think as far as songwriting goes, Edge is just as vital as Bono. I'd imagine it's like most great songwriting duos - they are better together than on their own. As a matter of fact, when I think of U2, I most often think of Bono and Edge, as it seems from interviews that when it comes to really getting out the song structure, most of it falls on Edge and then Bono.

Just a few examples, Edge came up with the genius intro to Streets, he also came up with the majority of Sunday Bloody Sunday (Bono came in and changed the lyrics, of course). Anyway, my point is that great lyrics aren't enough if the melody and structure sucks, and a great melody and song structure is nothing without good lyrics. So I don't particularly view either Bono or Edge as stronger than each other. And in Flanagan's book Adam or Larry (or maybe both, I forget) discuss that if they were to do a split according to who does the most work in the band, then it would probably be in Bono and Edge's favor.

Not to say that Adam and Larry don't pull any weight. I think they're great because Edge and Bono can throw all these weird ideas at them and Adam and Larry can take it all on. And there's no denying that certain songs do seem to be geared more towards the drums and bass.

So to sum all this up, the way I see it, it's Bono and Edge, then Adam and Larry, but they all form a very cohesive unit.

[This message has been edited by Diemen (edited 04-25-2002).]
Old 04-25-2002, 11:57 AM   #28
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen:
a great melody and song structure is nothing without good lyrics.
This I don't agree with, actually. Haven't you ever listened to a song and gone, "Dumb lyrics, but it just sounds so darn good!"? It's music, and for that reason the music itself tends to be much more important than the lyrics. I admire Bob Dylan's lyrics but I can't stand his voice. I would far rather listen to a song with great melody and sound but silly or lousy lyrics than one with brilliant lyrics and crummy music. In the latter case, I may as well just read the lyrics!

------------------
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colours came out
Old 04-25-2002, 12:08 PM   #29
War Child

Local Time: 11:07 PM
Edge? Who's this "Edge" guy??

------------------
"The Edge is a great singer. Let's get the Edge up here." - Bono, 9/23/97, Sarajevo

"Brian Eno. Edge." - Bono, 09/12/95, Modena

"Edge! Edge! Edge!" - Bono 12/30/89, Dublin

"Edge." - Bono, 05/01/2001, Minneapolis
Old 04-25-2002, 05:54 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:07 AM
When somebody says U2, I suppose I would associate Bono with that word the majority of the time. But if I think about it for more than just the 10 seconds necessary for a word association, then I can't imagine the band without the 4 members.

Besides, I have a thing for Larry ever since he gave me his stick.
Old 04-25-2002, 06:32 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Both the lyrics and music of Sunday Bloody Sunday were written by the EDGE! Same with Seconds! And the Edge can sing both! Edge is a better singer than Bono is guitar player or writer of music. I also think the Edge writes better lyrics than Bono writes music. There for, I think the EDGE would be most successful on his OWN.
Old 04-25-2002, 09:34 PM   #32
Babyface

In my opinion, I think the Edge is just as vital, if not more vital than Bono. When you hear a U2 song, you know it's 'a U2 song' because of Edge's guitar rather than Bono's voice or lyrics. The Edge is the essence-- the sound-- of U2; he's what makes their music unique and so distinct. IMO, A band with just Bono, Larry, and Adam would not sound like U2; but a band with just Edge, Larry, and Adam would. Yeah, the lyrics might not be as emotional or poetic, but the music would be all U2.
Old 04-26-2002, 08:27 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Quinthopper:
In my opinion, I think the Edge is just as vital, if not more vital than Bono. When you hear a U2 song, you know it's 'a U2 song' because of Edge's guitar rather than Bono's voice or lyrics. The Edge is the essence-- the sound-- of U2; he's what makes their music unique and so distinct.
You know, this used to be the case, but I don't think it is anymore. Back in the days of pre-Unforgettable Fire, you'd hear that trademark Edge guitar sound (which is actually a trademark "Stuart Adamson of The Skids - before he was in Big Country" sound) and say "wow, that is U2", but I don't think that's the case anymore. And it certainly wasn't the case with Zooopa. Now, I think more people would recognize U2 by Bono's voice than by Edge's guitar.
Old 04-26-2002, 04:55 PM   #34
Babyface

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:
You know, this used to be the case, but I don't think it is anymore. Back in the days of pre-Unforgettable Fire, you'd hear that trademark Edge guitar sound (which is actually a trademark "Stuart Adamson of The Skids - before he was in Big Country" sound) and say "wow, that is U2", but I don't think that's the case anymore. And it certainly wasn't the case with Zooopa. Now, I think more people would recognize U2 by Bono's voice than by Edge's guitar.[/B]
Yes, I'll grant you that U2 didn't sound like the so-called "classic" U2 on Zooropa; however, for me, in Joshua Tree, R&H, Achtung Baby, Pop, and ATYCLB, Edge shines through -- maybe not with that "trademark" style you're referring to, but you know it's the Edge. Joshua Tree especially, you recognize those song's because of the Edge. With "Where the Streets Have No Name" you hear that organ, then Edge plays 3 notes and you're like, "Yup, U2".

With the latest release, it wasn't Bono's voice that brought U2 back into the mainstream recognizability, it was the Edge. Beautiful Day, Walk on, and pretty much the rest of the album has Edge's signature all over them. Without that, ATYCLB would have been "just another" collection of rock/pop tunes. Just my opinion, though.
Old 04-26-2002, 05:06 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Quinthopper:
With the latest release, it wasn't Bono's voice that brought U2 back into the mainstream recognizability, it was the Edge. Beautiful Day, Walk on, and pretty much the rest of the album has Edge's signature all over them. Without that, ATYCLB would have been "just another" collection of rock/pop tunes. Just my opinion, though.
Yeep...it's pretty cool that so many people can hear the same music and appreciate it for so many different reasons.

Old 04-27-2002, 06:23 AM   #36
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2:
Both the lyrics and music of Sunday Bloody Sunday were written by the EDGE! Same with Seconds! And the Edge can sing both! Edge is a better singer than Bono is guitar player or writer of music. I also think the Edge writes better lyrics than Bono writes music. There for, I think the EDGE would be most successful on his OWN.
Actually, only the music to Sunday Bloody Sunday is Edge's. I don't remember where, but there's an old interview with Bono where he says that he was on vacation and came back and Edge had Sunday Bloody Sunday well on it's way, but the lyrics weren't as strong or defiant as he'd liked, so he changed them. But the original spirit of Sunday Bloody Sunday definitely was started by Edge.
Old 04-27-2002, 01:04 PM   #37
War Child

Local Time: 10:07 PM
Edge has taken lyric writing credits on the last couple of albums and he took a co-producing credit on Zooropa.
U2's popularity in the U.S. took off again once the band convinced Edge to recycle some of his classic sounds and treatments.
Anyone who has read At the End of the World knows that the sound on Achtung Baby was hugely influenced by Edge and his musical tastes at the time.

I love Bono. He's the best frontman in the world but Bono without Edge wouldn't be nearly as great. Don't agree? Name one Bono solo performance that ranks with the best U2 tracks. And Edge of course wouldn't be nearly as great without Bono. And Bono and Edge are all the more great because of Larry and Adam. None of their albums or live performances would sound the same without each of the boys performing on them. They're a team. They're a band. It's not that complicated.

The reason 80's and other U2 fans are starting to perceive U2 as the "BonoBand" is because Bono never, ever, ever shuts up. He's everywhere. Heck he had four acceptance speaches at the Grammy's to satiate his greed for gab and he still wouldn't let Edge get a brief joke in. HE CUT HIM OFF!! Told him to shut up. Of course it was funny but it was also classic Bono. He's a loudmouth. Did you know the last Grammy Walk On won was also an award for Lanois and Eno? Of course you didn't because Bono forgot to thank them much less let Lanois (who was standing right behind him) say a word. LOUDMOUTH thy name is Bono.

MAP