Bono's Angel's World AIDS Day Appeal: Send a Letter, Help Save a Life!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sherry Darling

New Yorker
So...allow me to reintroduce myself. :) I'm Sherry Darling, and this past summer I began a letter writing campain after Bono and Sec. O'Neill returned from their trip to Africa. It started one afternoon when I just decided that I needed to do something to support Bono's efforts and continue my own involvement with Africa after Peace Corps. Anyway, I posted the letter here on this website and on Zootopia and Bono's Angels is just over 50!! letters strong! :) All you have to do is either send a letter to Bush and/or O'Neill or, if you'd prefer, call. Guys, this is SO important for our world and I can't think of a better day to take the step! I'd also like to take this day to say a huge THANK YOU to everyone who did respond. We'd welcome anyone else who believes that it is OUR world and we CAN change it to join us.

Here are some links, as well as phone numbers, addresses and sample letters that everyone should feel free to cut and paste. Please give me a PM or email (cduckwo1@gmu.edu) so I can add you to the List of Angels when you send your letter! Thanks so much for taking the time!

http://jubileeusa.org-- Jubilee USA
http://www.angelfire.com/poetry/duckworth/angels-- the web home of Bono's Angels

Mr. Paul O?Neill United States Treasury Secretary 1500 Pennsylvania Ave. N.W. Washington, D.C. 20220

June 2, 2002

Dear Secretary O?Neill:

I am writing to express my congratulations and gratitude for the time you recently took to travel through rural Africa to learn more about what can be done to help. Your focus on providing clean water, for example, impressed me. I was excited to hear you describe that task as ?possible? and then express that it would be ?unforgivable? that 40 million Ethiopians go without it! I could not agree more!

As a citizen of a powerful and prosperous country, I believe it is crucial to do all I can do to help. It?s my hope that our aid to the world?s poorest nations will be increased, that their debt will be dropped and that trade laws will change to ensure a fair market.

Again, congratulations and welcome home! I wish you the best of luck as you continue the fight!

Sincerely,

And here's the one to President Bush

President George W. Bush 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Washington, D.C. 20500

Dear Mr. President:

I am writing with concerns about the recent $500 million pledged for AIDS relief in Africa. While I am pleased, proud and grateful that the White House is giving this issue attention, clearly more is needed. This amount of money is not adequate to meet the medical, housing, and educational needs of the poorest people in Africa, especially as they combat the growing AIDS epidemic, and as they struggle to repay debt to us! This is simply not just!

I would urge you, your Congress and Sec. O'Neill to consider committing to more aid as an investment in national security; countries that are stable and prosperous are far less likely to listen to terrorists like Bin Laden. I would also urge you and Sec. O'Neill to cancel the debt of these impoverished nations so they can invest in their people by establishing infrastructure, clinics, and schools. If we commit to doing enough now, perhaps the next generation will not have to!

Sincerely,

Or if you prefer to call, O'Neill is at (202) 622 0190. Bush is at (202) 456-1414

Sherry Darlin

who's bono's angels? is this a movie that i missed? if i missed it, can you post a link where i can download it? did it take long to download? how long?

As I say above, Bono's Angels is a letter writing campaign to help convince the US's leaders of the importance of debt relief. Details at the link I posted above.

SD

Back
Top Bottom