Bono's A Character on The New South Park Episode!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
roy said:
My only complaint was the dreadful accent. At one point it sounded like he was from the Falls Road (via London).

Southpark_disclaimer.gif

corianderstem said:
So to say that "South Park is just made by idiots for idiots" is just silly.

idiotic, perhaps?

i wonder how many people watched the repete episode that aired wednesday before the bono episode... the pray the gay away episode... and can still say that the show is simply "idiots for idiots."

http://www.southparkx.net/stream/episode-1102-stream

here it is... just one example. watch it with an open mind, those of the "idiots for idots" camp, and tell me the show is simply "idiots or idiots."

and then i will know that you are, in fact, an idiot.

you don't have to like it, you can dislike the humor, and that's fine. to each his/her own. but many of you are highly underestimating the show's intelligence based soley on the fact that they use poop jokes.

corianderstem said:
Yeah ... I'm sorry, but if you think South Park is all juvenile humor and poop jokes, you're not paying attention.

If you don't find it funny, fine. But a lot of their episodes are much more than foul-mouthed little kids or celebrity-trashing.

So to say that "South Park is just made by idiots for idiots" is just silly.

and THAT my friends is the truth.

I hated the show when it first came on, never watched it much until the last 3 years or so. It was a bunch of fart jokes for the sake of fart jokes. Those who didnt look any further probably thought that's all it's ever been.

This show has defintely evolved, they've become increasingly more active on commenting about social and political issues, using two or three clever ideas wrapped around something totally low brow and ridiculous.

Some of that stuff is so subtle you have to look for it.
These guys are very clever. If you think this episode was just about turds and baggin on awards like the Emmy's, it is my opinion that you missed the wit in between the turd jokes.

And I'm sorry, if you are going to make an argument against low brow comedy, leave The Simpsons at the door. In fact, both shows have been on the same page in terms of creativity. The Simpsons is funny (maybe not much anymore) but the safe "HA HA, HEY!! HERE IS THE JOKE!!! RIGHT HERE!!!, DON'T MISS IT!!" and South Park is more subtle than that in between being the furthest thing from subtle.

In any event, if you're gonna bag on South Park for being low brow, think of something mre witty than The Simpsons (which I do like) but the funniest parts of that show are the stupidity of Homer and his buddies, Moe, Barney etc. So they are morons, and the South Park kids like toilet humor. Who is the show still making fairly interesting points in their show and who is mailing it in?

I'd probably never have watched more than two episodes of South Park had I not stumbled into it (again) a few years ago, since then, the Scientology episode, the Mormon episode, there have been probably a dozen classic episodes over the last 3 years.

It's just funny, it's outrageously funny at times.

BTW, The Simpsons U2 episode was atrocious. Just my opinion, y'all.

Last edited:
The southpark election special in 2004 with the giant douche vs. the turd sandwich and all the peta people mating with animals was so funny i laughed till i cried. The episode where cartman joined the special olympics was along the same lines. I could go on and on... I didnt get into it early on but i discovered it a few years ago as well and their social commentary is both scathing and hilarious. The paris hilton episode, the virgin mary, the pope, my god! It's fun but to get worked up over a cartoon is retarded.

One of my favourite SP episodes is the Ginger Kids one.

As a rule, I hate toilet humour and do anything I can to avoid it, but I'll tolerate South Park because I know there's usually several underlying themes.

i can't figure out if the episode is supposed to be a parody/homage to 'the king of kong' or if they just ripped off the idea because they figured nobody had actually seen it.

btw 'the king of kong' is a documentary about two guys who fight over the all time high score in donkey kong. it's one of the best movies i've seen all year and i strongly recommend seeing it.

bollox said:
i can't figure out if the episode is supposed to be a parody/homage to 'the king of kong' or if they just ripped off the idea because they figured nobody had actually seen it.

btw 'the king of kong' is a documentary about two guys who fight over the all time high score in donkey kong. it's one of the best movies i've seen all year and i strongly recommend seeing it.

they often take things in pop culture, both of the known and unknown variety, and use them as a basis for an episode. heck, they took les miserables and turned it into a movie in which kyle hunted for the clitoris, in what none other than stephen sondheim called the best musical of the past 20 years. :shrug:

if people still want to think it's just pathetic toilet humor for idiots, well then, they're not really paying attention now are they. :shrug:

I thought the majority of the episode was funny....but I don't care that basically the Bono character is in the same vain as Mel Gibson's and Tom Cruise's. Those guys are actually pieces of crap.
I'll still watch South Park as it mostly is a great show.

i can see that there is some intelligence behind the show, but the fact that they rely so heavily on the juvenile humor is what bugs me, i guess (have only seen about three or four episodes). it makes me think, "yeah there's some intelligence, but not enough to carry a whole episode." i watched this episode just now and found parts of it quite clever. the vertigoesque "yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah" parts were the funniest to me, as they were the most accurate...

the stuff about him freaking out over being number two is not funny, as that's not how he is. they're trying to lump him in with celebrities who are real megalomaniacs, and it just doesn't work. (my opinion)

ok so, south park reminds us of that you have to be able to laugh at yourself and your idols, but i'll take the simpsons pretty much any day over sp.

...it's not insignificant that U2 (and most featured celebrities) were//are actually involved and provided the voices for the Simpsons episode that featured//s them as characters.

Last edited:
at the end of the day, it's just a stupid TV show, and a fairly juvenile one at that.

If I am in a very rare need of socio/polictal commentary shows like SP and the Simpsons are the absolute last place I need to turn, so to have to sit thru childish jokes just to get some little kernel of insight that anyone with a thinking brain could come up with on their own? nah.

gabrielvox said:
at the end of the day, it's just a stupid TV show, and a fairly juvenile one at that.

If I am in a very rare need of socio/polictal commentary shows like SP and the Simpsons are the absolute last place I need to turn, so to have to sit thru childish jokes just to get some little kernel of insight that anyone with a thinking brain could come up with on their own? nah.

boobies.

Some of the voices sound a lot like the actual star. I would have thought more of them were actually real.

Back
Top Bottom