Bono would rather rock than rule - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-04-2002, 11:58 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
MonaVox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,460
Local Time: 12:18 PM
Bono would rather rock than rule

U2's Bono would rather rock than rule
Reuters
Jul 4 2002 7:52AM


DUBLIN, July 4 (Reuters) - Irish rock star Bono said on Thursday music was his first love and that he had no interest in becoming a politician despite his work as a rights campaigner.
"Nothing comes close to the feeling of waking up with a melody in your head and having a band like U2 to help you capture it," the singer told Ireland's Hot Press magazine.

"Politicians don't turn me on, politics doesn't turn me on, the way music does. I have a lot more respect for them than I used to. They work a lot harder than I thought...but I don't want to be one."

The Dubliner has lobbied world leaders including French President Jacques Chirac to improve aid and debt forgiveness for poor countries and in May went on a high-profile 12-day trip through Africa with U.S. Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill, dubbed the "odd-couple tour."

Touted as a possible Irish presidential candidate, Bono said he had no interest in the job, a largely ceremonial position which usually attracts a wide-range of candidates from outside the political mainstream.

"I don't think I could live with the pay cut or moving to a smaller house," he said.

A participant in fellow Irishman Bob Geldof's 1985 Live Aid famine-relief concert, Bono has set up his own group called DATA (Debt, Aid, Trade for Africa), advocating economic aid, lower export tariffs and money to fight AIDS.

Renowned for his forthright personality, the 42-year old father of four said he was not getting mellower with age.

"I'm getting angrier and that's what makes me believe that with some smart thinking and simple changes to our lives, we can drastically improve the lives of so many other people."

Bono, whose real name is Paul Hewson, said U2 had been working on a follow-up album to the Grammy-winning "All That You Can't Leave Behind" since the end of their "Elevation" tour in December 2001 .

"We set up in a disused bar/nightclub in the South of France. Very punk rock and very like old clubs we used to play. Maybe it was being in that kind of venue, but the music we started to make was very lo-fi high energy." ()

"One of these songs might make it onto our new 'Best Of' which comes out later this year."


07/04/02 07:49 ET
__________________

MonaVox is offline  
Old 07-04-2002, 12:35 PM   #2
Refugee
 
rafmed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: On the moon's belly button
Posts: 1,255
Local Time: 12:18 PM
Well said.
__________________

rafmed is offline  
Old 07-04-2002, 12:46 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Discoteque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Hotter 'n' hell Texas: Dallas
Posts: 3,568
Local Time: 12:18 PM
Bono is the coolest

I loved these particular lines:

Quote:
Originally posted by MonaVox
"Nothing comes close to the feeling of waking up with a melody in your head and having a band like U2 to help you capture it,"

"I don't think I could live with the pay cut or moving to a smaller house," he said.

"One of these songs might make it onto our new 'Best Of' which comes out later this year."
[blargh - only ONE???]

thanks for posting, Mona...i was wondering if Bono was really going to go into politics in his "next life"....I think a lot of people are *hoping* he does (would that make him President Bono or President Hewson?)
Discoteque is offline  
Old 07-04-2002, 12:55 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life
 
HelloAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: new york city
Posts: 14,534
Local Time: 01:18 PM

As I've said before...


Please help myself and Interference out by PM'ing me articles and URL's so that I can effectively keep U2News up to date.


Thank you.
HelloAngel is offline  
Old 07-04-2002, 01:27 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
madonna's child's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,567
Local Time: 01:18 PM

eek! how cool. love ya, bono!
madonna's child is offline  
Old 07-04-2002, 01:32 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 8,800
Local Time: 07:18 PM
Re: Bono would rather rock than rule

Quote:
Originally posted by MonaVox
[B]"Politicians don't turn me on, politics doesn't turn me on, the way music does."
I almost fell from my chair! Erhm........politicians don't turn him on. Well, it's okay---I mean he is married already. That was off topic..........I apologize..........





FallingStar is offline  
Old 07-04-2002, 02:16 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 05:18 PM
Bono can do more outside of politics than he ever could do inside of it, anyway. In politics you've got to follow a party line, no matter what party it is and where. If you are what he is--a concerned global citizen who's outspoken as heck--then you can do a gazillion things elected people can't do anywhere. We have to have elected officials, of course, but we've also got to have people involved in politics who aren't tied to an established political structure.
verte76 is offline  
Old 07-04-2002, 04:42 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
MonaVox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,460
Local Time: 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel
As I've said before...


Please help myself and Interference out by PM'ing me articles and URL's so that I can effectively keep U2News up to date.


Thank you.
[color=royal blue]Wait.....what? I think I missed somethin [/color]
MonaVox is offline  
Old 07-04-2002, 05:22 PM   #9
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator
 
Bonochick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cherry Lane
Posts: 40,819
Local Time: 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MonaVox


[color=royal blue]Wait.....what? I think I missed somethin [/color]
There's an entire forum for U2 news article that HelloAngel spends a lot of time putting together. That way, all the news articles are in one place.
__________________
"Knight in shining Zubaz."

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Bonochick is offline  
Old 07-04-2002, 05:58 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
MonaVox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,460
Local Time: 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick


There's an entire forum for U2 news article that HelloAngel spends a lot of time putting together. That way, all the news articles are in one place.
Oh.

Well nobody tells me anything.

*shrug*
MonaVox is offline  
Old 07-04-2002, 09:08 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life
 
HelloAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: new york city
Posts: 14,534
Local Time: 01:18 PM
Thank you, BC. You're my girl.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick


There's an entire forum for U2 news article that HelloAngel spends a lot of time putting together. That way, all the news articles are in one place.

For anyone who hasn't seen it - U2NEWS.COM now has its very own portal/station right here on Interference, and I maintain both.

On the main Interference Forum Listing, the U2 News Forum is right at the TOP.

If any of you see that I have not yet posted a story or news blurb, PLEASE PLEASE PM me so that I can add it. As Bonochick said, I spend ALOT of time scouring the Internet to keep all of you up to date with all U2-ey news. And for your part, to help me out a bit, I just ask that if someone sees an article I don't yet have, please let me know by PM'ing me.


Thanks bunches, guys.
HelloAngel is offline  
Old 07-04-2002, 09:14 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life
 
adamswildhoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Somewhere in NorCal
Posts: 10,333
Local Time: 09:18 AM
I think thats an awesome article because it shows that even though Bono wants to change the world, he knows that he belongs on the stage performing and not a leader of a country.
adamswildhoney is offline  
Old 07-04-2002, 09:26 PM   #13
War Child
 
hotpepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: New York (I wish)
Posts: 739
Local Time: 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
Bono can do more outside of politics than he ever could do inside of it, anyway. In politics you've got to follow a party line, no matter what party it is and where. If you are what he is--a concerned global citizen who's outspoken as heck--then you can do a gazillion things elected people can't do anywhere. We have to have elected officials, of course, but we've also got to have people involved in politics who aren't tied to an established political structure.
Nicely said.
hotpepper is offline  
Old 07-04-2002, 09:52 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
MonaVox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,460
Local Time: 12:18 PM
Re: Thank you, BC. You're my girl.

Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel



For anyone who hasn't seen it - U2NEWS.COM now has its very own portal/station right here on Interference, and I maintain both.

On the main Interference Forum Listing, the U2 News Forum is right at the TOP.

If any of you see that I have not yet posted a story or news blurb, PLEASE PLEASE PM me so that I can add it. As Bonochick said, I spend ALOT of time scouring the Internet to keep all of you up to date with all U2-ey news. And for your part, to help me out a bit, I just ask that if someone sees an article I don't yet have, please let me know by PM'ing me.


Thanks bunches, guys.
o ok sorry

didn't know
MonaVox is offline  
Old 07-04-2002, 11:15 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by hotpepper


Nicely said.
Thanks...this is why I get so pissed off when I read some of these stupid articles about this being all ego or whatever on his part...huh? There's a crisis going on, the politicians are fiddling while Rome burns, who's going to tell the people this crud is going on? The politicians won't take the responsibility to inform the people, but guess who will?
To hell with all of this sanctimonious nonsense about "ego". It's sickening, ignorant and callous. To think they don't care about the AIDS Pandemic From Hell, that they've got an axe to grind with Bono first.
verte76 is offline  
Old 07-05-2002, 02:02 PM   #16
Refugee
 
madamc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,428
Local Time: 12:18 PM
that's a great article
__________________

madamc is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×