Bono would rather rock than rule

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonaVox

Rock n' Roll Doggie
U2's Bono would rather rock than rule
Reuters
Jul 4 2002 7:52AM

DUBLIN, July 4 (Reuters) - Irish rock star Bono said on Thursday music was his first love and that he had no interest in becoming a politician despite his work as a rights campaigner.
"Nothing comes close to the feeling of waking up with a melody in your head and having a band like U2 to help you capture it," the singer told Ireland's Hot Press magazine.

"Politicians don't turn me on, politics doesn't turn me on, the way music does. I have a lot more respect for them than I used to. They work a lot harder than I thought...but I don't want to be one."

The Dubliner has lobbied world leaders including French President Jacques Chirac to improve aid and debt forgiveness for poor countries and in May went on a high-profile 12-day trip through Africa with U.S. Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill, dubbed the "odd-couple tour."

Touted as a possible Irish presidential candidate, Bono said he had no interest in the job, a largely ceremonial position which usually attracts a wide-range of candidates from outside the political mainstream.

"I don't think I could live with the pay cut or moving to a smaller house," he said.

A participant in fellow Irishman Bob Geldof's 1985 Live Aid famine-relief concert, Bono has set up his own group called DATA (Debt, Aid, Trade for Africa), advocating economic aid, lower export tariffs and money to fight AIDS.

Renowned for his forthright personality, the 42-year old father of four said he was not getting mellower with age.

"I'm getting angrier and that's what makes me believe that with some smart thinking and simple changes to our lives, we can drastically improve the lives of so many other people."

Bono, whose real name is Paul Hewson, said U2 had been working on a follow-up album to the Grammy-winning "All That You Can't Leave Behind" since the end of their "Elevation" tour in December 2001 .

"We set up in a disused bar/nightclub in the South of France. Very punk rock and very like old clubs we used to play. Maybe it was being in that kind of venue, but the music we started to make was very lo-fi high energy." :)love:)

"One of these songs might make it onto our new 'Best Of' which comes out later this year."

07/04/02 07:49 ET

Bono is the coolest

I loved these particular lines:

MonaVox said:
"Nothing comes close to the feeling of waking up with a melody in your head and having a band like U2 to help you capture it,"

"I don't think I could live with the pay cut or moving to a smaller house," he said.

"One of these songs might make it onto our new 'Best Of' which comes out later this year."
[blargh - only ONE???]

thanks for posting, Mona...i was wondering if Bono was really going to go into politics in his "next life"....I think a lot of people are *hoping* he does (would that make him President Bono or President Hewson?) :heart: :bono:

As I've said before...

Please help myself and Interference out by PM'ing me articles and URL's so that I can effectively keep U2News up to date.

Thank you.

MonaVox said:
"Politicians don't turn me on, politics doesn't turn me on, the way music does."

:lol: I almost fell from my chair! Erhm........politicians don't turn him on. :| Well, it's okay---I mean he is married already. :lol: That was off topic..........I apologize..........

:lol:

Bono can do more outside of politics than he ever could do inside of it, anyway. In politics you've got to follow a party line, no matter what party it is and where. If you are what he is--a concerned global citizen who's outspoken as heck--then you can do a gazillion things elected people can't do anywhere. We have to have elected officials, of course, but we've also got to have people involved in politics who aren't tied to an established political structure.

HelloAngel said:
As I've said before...

Please help myself and Interference out by PM'ing me articles and URL's so that I can effectively keep U2News up to date.

Thank you.

[color=royal blue]Wait.....what? I think I missed somethin [/color]

MonaVox said:

[color=royal blue]Wait.....what? I think I missed somethin [/color]

There's an entire forum for U2 news article that HelloAngel spends a lot of time putting together. That way, all the news articles are in one place.

Bonochick said:

There's an entire forum for U2 news article that HelloAngel spends a lot of time putting together. That way, all the news articles are in one place.

Oh.

Well nobody tells me anything.

*shrug*

Thank you, BC. You're my girl.

Bonochick said:

For anyone who hasn't seen it - U2NEWS.COM now has its very own portal/station right here on Interference, and I maintain both.

On the main Interference Forum Listing, the U2 News Forum is right at the TOP.

If any of you see that I have not yet posted a story or news blurb, PLEASE PLEASE PM me so that I can add it. As Bonochick said, I spend ALOT of time scouring the Internet to keep all of you up to date with all U2-ey news. And for your part, to help me out a bit, I just ask that if someone sees an article I don't yet have, please let me know by PM'ing me.

Thanks bunches, guys. :) :angel:

I think thats an awesome article because it shows that even though Bono wants to change the world, he knows that he belongs on the stage performing and not a leader of a country.

verte76 said:
Bono can do more outside of politics than he ever could do inside of it, anyway. In politics you've got to follow a party line, no matter what party it is and where. If you are what he is--a concerned global citizen who's outspoken as heck--then you can do a gazillion things elected people can't do anywhere. We have to have elected officials, of course, but we've also got to have people involved in politics who aren't tied to an established political structure.

Nicely said.:)

Re: Thank you, BC. You're my girl.

HelloAngel said:

For anyone who hasn't seen it - U2NEWS.COM now has its very own portal/station right here on Interference, and I maintain both.

On the main Interference Forum Listing, the U2 News Forum is right at the TOP.

If any of you see that I have not yet posted a story or news blurb, PLEASE PLEASE PM me so that I can add it. As Bonochick said, I spend ALOT of time scouring the Internet to keep all of you up to date with all U2-ey news. And for your part, to help me out a bit, I just ask that if someone sees an article I don't yet have, please let me know by PM'ing me.

Thanks bunches, guys. :) :angel:

o ok sorry

didn't know

hotpepper said:

Nicely said.:)

Thanks...this is why I get so pissed off when I read some of these stupid articles about this being all ego or whatever on his part...huh? There's a crisis going on, the politicians are fiddling while Rome burns, who's going to tell the people this crud is going on? The politicians won't take the responsibility to inform the people, but guess who will?
To hell with all of this sanctimonious nonsense about "ego". It's sickening, ignorant and callous. To think they don't care about the AIDS Pandemic From Hell, that they've got an axe to grind with Bono first. :sad: :huh: :mad:

Back
Top Bottom