Bono why are you creative? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-29-2002, 04:28 AM   #1
AM
Refugee
 
AM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: right underneath the north pole
Posts: 2,409
Local Time: 04:50 AM
Bono why are you creative?

German/French television arte run a series of short clips and ask many popular people the same question: "Why are you creative?". Bono's answer can be seen here :

Bono - why are you creative
__________________

AM is offline  
Old 08-29-2002, 09:11 AM   #2
Refugee
 
jick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Philippines
Posts: 2,054
Local Time: 01:50 PM
God shaped hole is a line from the song Mofo. That is an allusion to the failure of POP which gave a God shaped hole to U2.

Bono realized that the fact he was able to make a comeback with the great ATYCLB after the embarrassment that was Pop let him realize how creative he was despite having a God-shaped hole caused by POP.

Of course, POP can no longer be erased from the memory of man so Bono is forever burdened with that God-shaped hole. He takes pride that he is still successful despite his POP-created God-shaped hole. He is proud that through the storm, U2 have reached the shore with ATYCLB.

All of this led Bono to realize he was creative.

Cheers,

J
__________________

jick is offline  
Old 08-29-2002, 09:16 AM   #3
The Fly
 
mebythesea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 173
Local Time: 01:50 AM
Re: Bono why are you creative?

Quote:
Originally posted by AM
German/French television arte run a series of short clips and ask many popular people the same question: "Why are you creative?". Bono's answer can be seen here :

Bono - why are you creative
That was an interesting clip, though obviously filmed a few years ago, judging from Bono's pre-Elevation hairstyle. Nice to see Bono continuing to quote Blaise Pascal... and insist that the real creativity resides with the whole band.
mebythesea is offline  
Old 08-29-2002, 09:25 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Hallelujah Here She Comes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 3,528
Local Time: 12:50 AM

Hey, jick. Could you have a post where you DON'T bash POP? Perhaps he quoted the song because, oh I don't know, he LIKES it, is proud of the lyrics he wrote and finds resonance in them. You may despise POP, but that doesn't mean Bono does. Also, I hardly think his creativity sprung from something that happened in the past 7 years, since he's been making music for over 20. Nice try.
Hallelujah Here She Comes is offline  
Old 08-29-2002, 09:45 AM   #5
War Child
 
Spiral_Staircase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Knoxville, TN, USA
Posts: 684
Local Time: 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by jick
God shaped hole is a line from the song Mofo. That is an allusion to the failure of POP which gave a God shaped hole to U2.

Bono realized that the fact he was able to make a comeback with the great ATYCLB after the embarrassment that was Pop let him realize how creative he was despite having a God-shaped hole caused by POP.

Of course, POP can no longer be erased from the memory of man so Bono is forever burdened with that God-shaped hole. He takes pride that he is still successful despite his POP-created God-shaped hole. He is proud that through the storm, U2 have reached the shore with ATYCLB.

All of this led Bono to realize he was creative.


That's hilarious.



it was supposed to be a joke, right?
Spiral_Staircase is offline  
Old 08-29-2002, 10:21 AM   #6
War Child
 
Tip Top Prince's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Americaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!
Posts: 525
Local Time: 01:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by jick
God shaped hole is a line from the song Mofo. That is an allusion to the failure of POP which gave a God shaped hole to U2.


He must've had the "God shaped hole" BEFORE Pop, for the line to be in a song on the record.

How does failure create God shaped holes anyway? The holes would be red X shaped, I would've thought. Or maybe thumbs down shaped. Or maybe J shaped.
Tip Top Prince is offline  
Old 08-29-2002, 10:43 AM   #7
The Fly
 
mebythesea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 173
Local Time: 01:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tip Top Prince


He must've had the "God shaped hole" BEFORE Pop, for the line to be in a song on the record.
I was serious; it's Pascal -- I just read this on U2Log.Com, where they are discussing the same video clip.

===
Blaise Pascal, a famous French mathematician and philosopher, put it like this: "There is a God-shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God the Creator, made known through Jesus Christ." If we try to stuff anything but God into that God-shaped hole in our lives, we'll end up dissatisfied, restless, discontent.
===
from
http://u2log.com/archive/001768.shtml#comments
mebythesea is offline  
Old 08-29-2002, 10:53 AM   #8
War Child
 
Spiral_Staircase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Knoxville, TN, USA
Posts: 684
Local Time: 11:50 PM
wink

Quote:
Originally posted by mebythesea


I was serious; it's Pascal -- I just read this on U2Log.Com, where they are discussing the same video clip.

===
Blaise Pascal, a famous French mathematician and philosopher, put it like this: "There is a God-shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God the Creator, made known through Jesus Christ." If we try to stuff anything but God into that God-shaped hole in our lives, we'll end up dissatisfied, restless, discontent.
===
from
http://u2log.com/archive/001768.shtml#comments
Right, but Tip Top Prince wasn't refering to the idea of a God-shaped hole. Rather, he was referring to the actual hole in Bono which is God-shaped.

I mean, the God-shaped whole idea goes way back, long before Pascal, to Extreme's 2nd hit: Hole-Hearted.

Anyway, back to the likely shape of holes left by failure (album failure, to be more specific)...I was thinking maybe Pop would leave a lemon-shaped hole. Or maybe a Justin-Timberlake's-Head-shaped hole (when he had the longer curly hair)....
Spiral_Staircase is offline  
Old 08-29-2002, 11:01 AM   #9
War Child
 
Tip Top Prince's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Americaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!
Posts: 525
Local Time: 01:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiral_Staircase


Or maybe a Justin-Timberlake's-Head-shaped hole (when he had the longer curly hair)....
__________________

Tip Top Prince is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×