Bono weeping in US flag - what to think of it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Although I don't think that U2 has marketing people handing Bono the flags, I do think that the crying into the flag thing is a bit ridiculous on Bono's part. It is clearly staged, and emotions lose authenticity when planned like this.

I am not saying I don't believe that Bono is genuinely sad. I don't know if the band's intent is to make the audience believe that this is an authentic breakdown, or rather just a representation of the band's general emotion regarding Sept 11. Whatever it is, I'm not feeling it, and I think it is sorta cheesy.

Speaking of which, did anyone see Bono's brief conversation with Jay Leno after U2's performance? I thought Bono's blurb about Sept 11 was also pretty cheesy.

Eeek! I know I am gonna get flamed for this post, or ignored, hehe
smile.gif
But honestly, sometimes the stuff Bono says is just tacky. But I still love the music!

------------------
boom cha, boom cha.................discotheque!

Originally posted by Marko:
Well I'm a one man band - will that do?
biggrin.gif

Do you look like larry?
eek.gif

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

I was very close to the tip when Bono held the flag at Oakland 1, and the feeling was palpable...it's a gesture that shows he understands some of the pain our nation has been going through. The emotion felt sincere.
That he keeps doing it shows that he still cares all across the country. Very different from the white flag he once carried!

Be careful what you wish for, dude , youre playing with fire!
Larry asked for the same thing...he got it...and he will never be the same!
eek.gif

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Originally posted by baker6621:
First off - I think it's pure emotion and true energy from Bono

I just saw U2 in Dallas last night. I decided the day before the concert, to buy an American flag to take along. I had never brought anything to concerts before, not even signs, hand made t-shirts, etc. It just felt right this time.

I must say, it is truly pure emotion, and I felt it first hand.

When Bono took a flower from the girl next to me, I was holding my flag up high for him. Although he did not actually take my flag, he looked directly at me, and mouthed the words (without speaking them) "SAVE IT FOR ME". We all thought he was going to come back and take my flag during SBS, but on his way back, he took someone else's flag instead.

The emotions that I felt at that moment were truly undescribable, and I was glad to have the chance to experience it
smile.gif

------------------
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

www.geocities.com/u2_celebrate/u2_celebration.html

http://www.geocities.com/u2austin2001/U2AustinTX.html

I suppose the biggest thing that pisses me off about the whole flag thing is the fans dancing around with it, waving it above their heads and spreading it out like wings. It blocks the view, and is truly annoying. If you are going to bring a flag, be respectful to those around you.

------------------
"It's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight..."

Originally posted by Miss MacPhisto:
Be careful what you wish for, dude , youre playing with fire!
Larry asked for the same thing...he got it...and he will never be the same!
eek.gif

If I'll take some pressure off lary, than I'm o.k. with it. Bring it on babe (my god is this cheesy)

I think that the fact Bono hugs the flag at every concert kind of cheapens it- it's now just part of the show. However, I wouldn't even know about all the flag hugging if I didn't read about it online, so I think that people who witness it without any prior knowledge probably see it as a nice gesture.

And I don't think it was necessarily Bono's intention to have it become a part of every concert. Ever since the first flag was hugged people have been bringing flags and offering them to Bono. What is he supposed to do- push the flags away? Imagine the uproar if he refused to take a flag from the crowd!

But basically, I think that Bono is trying to show support for the US, and I believe that his feelings are genuine (at least I hope so!). But since the flag hugging is happening every night, the gesture is losing its spontaneity and therefore appears to staged or contrived. Personally, I could do without it, but I don't think it's causing any harm. As long as people continue to offer the flag to Bono he's probably going to take it, and if it touches people's emotions that's great. And hey- it's much better than people chanting "USA! USA!". That gets annoying real fast.

[This message has been edited by Giant Lemon (edited 11-27-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom