Bono vs. Lookalikes vs. The Fly. vs. Irony

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattFromNYC

War Child
At work today, a guy I work with (who is also a U2 fan), and I were talking about the upcoming NYC U2 shows, etc blah blah blah blah.

Anyways, he's a huge fan of the song The Fly and Bono's "The Fly" character, and we got to talking about how it's cool how Bono's entire facial structure seems to change when he's got those sunglasses on and almost gets "in total character" physically so, in every sense of the word.

Now, ever since he found out about all of the Bono look-alikes (and act-alikes) out there in the U2 cover bands (like Elevation, UF, etc) and other such Bono look-alikes, he got to mentioning this really interesting theory. Now PLEASE don't think I am trying to start any negative rumours or anything of the sort. This is just purely for interesting, very different discussion.

Since the ZooTV theme was all about contradictions, irony, and "everything you know is wrong"-esque themes, he always wondered if perhaps Bono ever used a look-alike sometimes (maybe for a video or pics) while in The Fly character to add to this mystery and deception like theme that was in a lot of the ZooTV era. However, while doing this, not ever announcing his doing so...

Not sure what the whole purpose of this would be exactly with no one knowing about it, but we all know how Bono likes to get his own little personal amusements about stuff and , well, who knows. But I can actually see him doing this.

It is weird though, how sometimes when seeing pics and videos with the Fly character.. you can never ever see his eyes.. and his eyes are obviously a dead give-away of who he is.. but without them being visible.. do we really know if its him?
I mean, from pics i've seen of some look-alikes, like in the cover bands.. especially that guy from the band Elevation, with the sunglasses.. you'd never fucking know who was who! The body frame and structures, the nose, the hair, the face shape, the grin, everything.

I do know that in Even Better Than The Real Thing video, they specifically used a cover band of look-alikes play them in that shop window clip, but went back and forth between them and the real band, and once Bono with the fake band (I think??? anyone know the full story on that?)

Sometimes during the regular part of the EBTTRT video, where the guys are all spinning around, Bono looks a little different. For example.. in one part his hair is parted in the front with that "fluff" thing on his right side.. then the next time, its on his left.. and this isnt from the moving around they were doing either. This was a full hair re-styling. maybe there was more behind that, but sometimes it didnt seem like the real Bono's face either.. but close.
many times you can tell if its really him based on his nose.. or ears or weird neck veins... when hes in the fly character.. but sometimes even thats deceiving as its been proven, if theres a look-alike.

So, what do you guys think? think he ever had a look-alike stand in for him for something? or a part of a video, video-shoot, concert section (not when singing obviously... because well, its HIS voice.. then again, some of these cover bands singers sound identical to him too! LOL) so who knows.

Call me crazy, or this thread crazy... but I'm interested to hear what ya'll think.

-Matt

Yes you're absolutely right. The Irish Government realised that after dominating Eurovision for so long, they could take over the world music scene as well.

They have a bank of cloned Bono's, however the duplication of DNA means they have a limited lifespan, which is why his appearance keeps changing.

p.s. don't tell anyone.

Im sure he didnt have any lookalikes but the u2 tribute band in The Real Thing video is "The Doppelgangers". I saw them a few times. I wonder whatever happened to them.

hahaha
the only time I am aware they used fake Bono's is for The Fly and EBTTRT clips. It mentions it in both of the commentaries.
It's kind of awesome in a way, because for 6 years I used to see this guy in the EBTTRT clip which never looked like Adam Clayton but I just assumed it was him every time. I mean even the guy drumming as Larry doesn't even look like him but because it zoomed past so fast I just assumed.
I am pretty sure it's not Bono in the video for Gloria, I mean he looks way too young! :wink:

LuvandPeace1980 said:
hahaha
the only time I am aware they used fake Bono's is for The Fly and EBTTRT clips. It mentions it in both of the commentaries.
It's kind of awesome in a way, because for 6 years I used to see this guy in the EBTTRT clip which never looked like Adam Clayton but I just assumed it was him every time. I mean even the guy drumming as Larry doesn't even look like him but because it zoomed past so fast I just assumed.
I am pretty sure it's not Bono in the video for Gloria, I mean he looks way too young! :wink:

Where in The Fly is their a fake Bono?

Ok, you guys are trying too hard. But I do have a Bono/U2 mystery for all of us. Did anyone notice that a few years back U2 released a CD-ep: "U2 7"? But it was only released at Target stores (at least in the USA). OK, kinda the Pop Mart thing again.

It sported a very, very, similar art design as Target Store displays and, interestingly enough, the current Vertigo CD design also look remarkably like the stores logo.

The U2 7 CD disk had a target on it, and so does the current Vertigo disk. In fact, the whole Target/color scheme design is incredibly similar to Target’s logo and in-store displays.

In the song "Always", on the Target Store released disk, you can hear Bono refer to the “arrow to the target”, rather out of context to the song.

What exactly is going on here? Is Bono a board member of Target? Are U2 major shareholders in the chain? Does U2 just like the Target commercial art design? Something is up here and needs further investigation. Is this somehow a very subtle and creative method of their Pop Mart theme being thrown in our face for not understanding the original Pop Mart concept? Genius or crazy? Your thoughts?

I have been shopping at Target quite a lot recently, and it has actually coincided with the release of HTDAAB, interesting enough. I never realised before but bloody U2 have made me go there, THE SUBLIMINAL BASTARDS!!!! :mad:

Thanks Lewis for clearing that up!

:wink:

maybe they could do a sort of Pink Floyd thing and have a bunch of look-alikes stand in for one of their shows....and know one would be the wiser!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom