Bono trashed on MuchMusic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sanchez

War Child
Did anybody watch the special Ed The Sock just had on MuchMusic? Basically it was a program on how celebrities take advantage of the media and are spotlight hoggers. Bono was talked on there and it pisses me off the shit that Ed was talking about. Basically he was saying Bono uses his charity work for Africa and others to promote a new album or a tour. I agree Bono is out and about a whole lot doing charity work and is in the spotlight. Even Bono himself said he's sick of Bono! Bono is doing a wonderful thing and at least he's doing something about it to help people be aware of the situation in Africa and cancel the debt and all that. I can see where Ed is coming from but he's just plain wrong, I think. If anyone in Canada, or anywhere else, can see this program, take a look and you'll be angered by what you hear. Here is a link to explain more about the program. I do realize everyone has an opinion but it just pisses me off when they are missing the point.

http://www.muchmusic.com/tv/specials/smartass/

Promosexuality: A Guide

Being a promosexual is a full-time job - here are a few pointers to get you started on the right foot:

1. Make yourself available to the paparazzi.
There is nothing worse than hiding from the view of the dozens of telephoto lenses trained on your palatial compound. To ensure your constant appearance in the tabloids, every few hours make trips to the mall with barely any clothes on, acne cream still on your face, and eat approximately eight cheeseburgers. This will demonstrate to the populace that you're "just like them".

2. Ensure every feud is played out in public.
Your public loves nothing more than vicariously participating in high-profile celeb feuds. So give them a thrill - ensure your publicist sends out a press release announcing who you're not friends with this week, or simply diss everyone in sight while on Howard Stern. That *always* works.

3. Multi-tasking = multi-millions
Let's say you're a reasonably successful movie star. Don't you want to be MORE successful? Of course you do. Get busy on starting a clothing line, getting a record deal, opening nightclubs and promoting beverages in Japan. The sky's the limit!

4. Speak loudly, carry a small schtick
Talk yourself up to anyone who'll listen. Use props, like a megaphone or a Prime Minister. Develop a little soft-shoe routine. When all else fails, arrange a wardrobe malfunction. As the old saying goes, a little nipple goes a long way.

5. Get spiritual
Since time immemorial, celebs have flocked to fashionable spiritual pursuits - so you should too. It doesn't matter much whether they involve aliens, strings or secret societies - but remember to let everyone know what you're up to. You never know when it will lead to eternal salvation or just a really bitchin' collaboration on your next single.

That's it! Remember, when you get famous, forget the little people who helped you get where you are!

:lmao:

Haven't MuchMusic been U2 tour sponsors on their 1992/1997/2001(?)/2005(?) tours?

The Much name is even on the Canadian Popmart ticket stubs.

U2FP

Last edited:
I must say I love Ed the Sock's Fromage shows every year which Britney Spears and rap artists usually dominate.

the funny thing about it was all of his facts were wrong or distorted.. there was one about a member of the US govt who bono was working with to get a bill passed (jesse something?)... anyways ed quoted a lot of thing that the guy said which were anti-third world, but if you know anything about this guys story with bono, bono made him think a different way about things, including aids, and thats why he agreed to help bono

anyways this guy seemed like a bitter fan... its natural, with any sort of sequel to an original work, if there are "expectations", usually people paint the picture in their own mind, and if the pieces don't fit, they get mad

Last edited:
Ed The Sock just turned everything around on Bono and that's what pissed me off. Then again, it is MuchMusic which is absolute crap.

myusernamehere said:
This is worse than the time Triumph the Insult Comment Dog compared Coldplay to U2 in that song of his.

i took that as a compliment.

"Coldplay, you should be called coldsore.
Back when you were u2, I loved you so much more."

:shrug: thought it was funny.

bcrt2000 said:
if george strombopolous was still there i doubt they'd do something like that
george strombolopolous :drool:

i pretty much stopped watching muchmusic after he left.

and ed the sock, he's hilarious! i mean, come on! he's a SOCK!!!
a sock that smokes CIGARS!!! :lmao:

IMO, people are too picky.. I mean, if someone keeps all the money for himself, they complain because of that, if someone gives it into charity, they say it's just for promotion... can't they just accept that some peoople actually ENJOY doing good?? People and their constant ambition of looking for bad iontentions in everyone... fu*ck them I say, that Ed is the only one who's trying to sell!!! :mad:

On the other hand, trying to make ur album popular is not a bad thing.. at all!! I just hate the fact that that Ed guy distorts good things to make them bad... that must be a really BAD thing about being a celebrity. So u have money cause u earned it, no one gave it to u, and u are cool with that and not show off or treat other people badly because of that... in fact, u help them.. What's the wrong in that???:huh: :huh:

VicksSs said:
IMO, people are too picky.. I mean, if someone keeps all the money for himself, they complain because of that, if someone gives it into charity, they say it's just for promotion... can't they just accept that some peoople actually ENJOY doing good?? People and their constant ambition of looking for bad iontentions in everyone... fu*ck them I say, that Ed is the only one who's trying to sell!!! :mad:

On the other hand, trying to make ur album popular is not a bad thing.. at all!! I just hate the fact that that Ed guy distorts good things to make them bad... that must be a really BAD thing about being a celebrity. So u have money cause u earned it, no one gave it to u, and u are cool with that and not show off or treat other people badly because of that... in fact, u help them.. What's the wrong in that???:huh: :huh:

...All this commotion over a sock. :wink:

XHendrix24 said:

...All this commotion over a sock. :wink:

Yeah.. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: hahaha, I really got very carried away.. nevertheless, I still think like that, and after thinking like that, I came to the conclusion that... socks are bad!!! Not wearing them anymore!!! :madspit:

All I can say is Ed's a jackass. He wishes he was half the man Bono is.
Basically he was saying Bono uses his charity work for Africa and others to promote a new album or a tour.
Actually, it's the other way around--he uses his music to further his causes--or 'emergencies' as he calls them--at least 'One'. He's hellbent on what he believes in and he knows how to promote, let's face it. He's a formidible adversary of political rhetoric and policy. Ed just needs to quit his sobbing and get over it.

Jon Stewart made fun of Bono on the Daily Show back in march.

Bono also got mocked around the zootv era, including imitations from adam sandler and ben stiller.

u2fp

Before you guys crucify a sock, watch the Fromage Awards... not sure how you can do that outside of Canada, but they are friggen hilarious. He rips everybody, and its pretty much always funny. It might sound rude on the internet, but when you hear it coming from a sock in a leather jacket, you'll laugh.

He is funny, the only good thing going on MuchMusic but I just wish he got his facts straight about Bono, that's all.

THIS REALLY PISSED ME OFF. i was so livid when i watched this. the facts were so distorted and wrong about dates and events etc. I was delighted when at the end Ed the bitch said "if i have any research wrong, i am man enough to admit it" I recorded the next airing of it and have re-watched it and taken 4 1/2 pgs of notes point form about mis-information. i plan on e-mailing him and will take satisfaction if i ever get a response admitting he was mistaken about many things.

just some examples to illustrate....

- (about the superbowl performance) "it helped make the elevation tour the 2nd highest grossing tour of all-time" WELL, THAT's FUNNY, THE ELEVATION TOUR ENDED IN DEC 2001, THE SUPERBOWL PERFORMANCE WAS FEB 2002.

- "bono spent $2000 to fly his favorite hat first class to Italy" THIS WAS REPORTED BY 'THE SUN' WHICH IS A BRITISH TABLOID. THE STORY WAS LATER PROVED FALSE.

- "after bono declared the africian aids problem 'not a crisis, but an emergency' in 1985, he did nothing about it during the next few years as JT became a huge success. FIRST OF ALL, HE DIDN'T MAKE THAT COMMENT BACK IN 1985, BUT IN 2002, SECONDLY, IN THE YEARS 85-87 HE VISITED ETHOPIA WITH ALI FOR A MONTH, AS WELL AS EL SALVADOR. THIS WAS ALL UNPUBLISIZED.

- "a lack of anything political during the zootv tour" EXCUSE ME, DID YOU MISS THE SARAJEVO SATELITTE VIDEO HOOK-UPS

and it goes on and on and on. i know that this doesn't matter much and ed the sock is a shitty reporter that only tries to create contraversy, despite critizing people like madonna and eminem for make careers doing the exact same thing.
i will just get personal satisfaction at this point if he ever does swallow his tounge and admit his mis-reporting.

(looking back over post....man, i'm bitter)

marik said:
i will just get personal satisfaction at this point if he ever does swallow his tounge and admit his mis-reporting.

(looking back over post....man, i'm bitter)

sock puppets don't have real tongues, just felt ones. Which if it got swallowed probably wouldn't do any harm, well maybe to the digestive tract, but I don't think some guy's hand counts as a digestive tract.

Oh that could be the great philosophical question of our time - "How does a sock puppet swallow its own tongue?"

Pondering, pondering, one hand clapping, pondering.....

Back
Top Bottom