Bono to perform in all star Tsunami aid song at Grammys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Halup

Refugee
This was just announced on Billboard.com:

Grammy Performance To Benefit Tsunami Aid

An all-star live performance of the Beatles song "Across the Universe" during the 47th annual Grammy Awards celebration will be immediately released to raise funds for tsunami relief efforts. U2 lead singer Bono, Stevie Wonder, Norah Jones, Alicia Keys, Velvet Revolver, Tim McGraw and Brian Wilson have been tapped to take part, with other artists expected to join.

The track will be made available for download at Apple's iTunes Music Store for 99 cents, with all proceeds to aid victims of the Dec. 26 earthquake and tsunami in the Indian Ocean. Video of the performance will be available on demand at CBS.com soon after the network's Feb. 13 broadcast of the awards.

In other Grammy Awards news, newlyweds Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony will make their live performance debut during the telecast. The pair, who married in June, collaborated on a song appearing on Lopez's forthcoming Epic set, "Rebirth."

Anthony, who is nominated for best Latin pop album ("Amar Sin Mentiras") and best salsa/merengue album ("Valio La Pena") Grammys, previously recorded "No Me Ames" with Lopez as a duet for her 1999 album "On the 6."

As previously reported, the Grammy Awards ceremony will also feature a performance tribute to Ray Charles, a celebration of Southern rock and numbers by Kanye West, U2, McGraw, Alicia Keys and Green Day.

Queen Latifah will host the affair, for which Hoobastank, Alison Krauss, Tyra Banks and Steven Tyler have been newly confirmed as presenters.

-- Barry A. Jeckell, N.Y.

Its a beautiful song, but Fiona Apple raped it and by looking at the roster of whos going to be on this, it probably will be raped again.

Some songs just shouldnt be used.

bonosleftone said:
Its a beautiful song, but Fiona Apple raped it and by looking at the roster of whos going to be on this, it probably will be raped again.

Some songs just shouldnt be used.

I thought Fiona's cover was gorgeous...not as good as Lennon's original, mind you, but gorgeous nontheless.

I look forward to this. Out of all of those artists, Tim Mcgraw is the only one I wish weren't part of it.

namkcuR said:

Out of all of those artists, Tim Mcgraw is the only one I wish weren't part of it.

Benefits like this are designed to have the broadest possible reach -- it's the only way to get hip-hoppers and C&W fans to buy the same song.

nathan1977 said:

Benefits like this are designed to have the broadest possible reach -- it's the only way to get hip-hoppers and C&W fans to buy the same song.

Agreed. :yes: What is the problem with any and all artist doing what they can? It will be a part of musical history. maybe
Regardless, I'll buy it "Just" for the contribution, if nothing else.

I mean really, if you don't want to support it, no one is twisting your arm. You know??? :rolleyes:

This is a good career move by Bono and will give U2 good exposure. Hopefully this will help fuel U2's rebound from the current state of American chart disappointment.

Cheers,

J

American Chart dissappointed...???? it nearly sold 3 million albums there!!!

Across the universe is a fantastic song..and the fiona apple version is great too!

Oh, I hope it isn't awful. While I trust Bono, I'm worried about his other contemporaries. To destroy such a beautiful song would be a crime.

This is for charity, and that's great and all, but it's obvious that they're about to bum-fuck one of my favorite Beatles songs. Why couldn't they have chosen "With Arms Wide Open" or something instead? Probably would've sold to the TRL crowd better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom