Bono to induct R.E.M into the R & R Hall of Fame???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dear god, please let someone air it. On a channel I get with my basic cable!

:sad:

Stupid VH1. It's all Flava Flav all the time now.

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO MUSIC????? Without music, we are nothing! (okay we can survive without music videos per se, but still ... ) nothing ... NOTHING!!!1eleven!!

:mad:

u2trinity said:
why wouldn't they televise R&R Hall of Fame ?
I think vh1 usually airs it .

VH1's contract to air it ran out and they did not renew it.

If, as rumored, Bono, Bruce and Beyonce are there as presenters - that's some star power. Plus, R.E.M. and Van Halen as inductees ... someone will air it. I can't imagine it won't be aired.

The other question is whether the Bono to induct R.E.M. rumor is true. It makes sense, but who knows for sure ...

Well look at their programming - I can't recall the last time I watched VH1. Oh wait, was it... LIVE8? :grumpy: x infinity

Live 8? Don't you mean Delayed Broadcast With VJs Chatting 8?

:yes: My point exactly :hi5:

And then they had to re-air it without the assclowns talking thru it due to the amount of flak they received for the idiocy and incompetence.

Lila64 said:
Well look at their programming - I can't recall the last time I watched VH1. Oh wait, was it... LIVE8? :grumpy: x infinity

Do you mean to tell me that you don't watch the nail biting episodes of "I Love New York?":laugh:

The HoF induction ceremony will be televised by VH1 in it's usual edited form as it has in the past in the days and weeks after the event.

VH1 did indeed let their contract expire with the Hall after last year's broadcast adn a couple months ago, it appeared PBS was going to pick up the option and broadcast the *entire unedited show* but at the last minute, VH1 stepped up and made a better offer to renew their contract.

So it will be show, it just won't be the full program.

BTW, I know the source from where this rumor originated from over the weekend. Here's the full e-mail on the board he's on (the Bono content is pretty minor):

"The presenters are almost all committed. Springsteen is inducting Patti Smith, Bono is inducting REM, Kid Rock is inducting Van Halen, LL Cool J or Puffy is inducting Flash & The Furious Five (he wasn't sure), and Beyonce is inducting the Ronettes. There's a laundry list of people who want to induct Ahmet Ertegun, and they're working on trying to get some sort of "supergroup" jam with Phil Collins and Robert Plant to play in his honor.

Performance wise, REM is going to play with Bill Berry on drums for at least one number. This may get hyped up since I don't think Berry has played with them live for a few years. Smith is going to perform (with Bruce for at least one tune), and Flash & The Furious Five are playing together.

The problems are the Ronettes and (surprise) Van Halen.

Nedra Talley hasn't sung live in years, so we could see a CCR bit where after the speeches Ronnie just sings with a backing group instead. I don't think it is a bad blood situation, just a case where Talley can't cut it and it would be pretty bad to have her struggling on stage.

Van Halen could be screwing themselves out of being the "featured act" on the TV special, and REM could end up getting the slot because Van Halen is dragging their feet on things.

Azoff proposed a two song set with Sammy doing Dreams and Roth doing Jump and the Van Halen brothers haven't responded. Robbie thinks they are insisting that Wolfgang play with them, and Hagar won't do any songs if Mike Anthony isn't on bass. Who knows what will happen.

Oh, and I mentioned the Kiss thing to him, and he laughed and said if Paul promises not to let Gene near the microphone, maybe they'll get in someday!"

T.B.

OMG BILL BERRY PLAYING WITH REM AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

asdf;alsdkjgt ;sdfkljsd;lfkjsltajwetpfauisd'pgajsdlafk!!!!!

Ooh. Sorry. Lost myself in bliss for a minute there.

I'm okay with VH1 showing the edited version. They seem to get the good parts in.

Bill Berry played a three-song set with REM last year when they were inducted into the Georgia Music Hall of Fame. I was there. :D I've gotta say, I never thought I'd see Dallas Austin rocking out to "Losing My Religion." And even cooler: Gregg Allman, another inductee, played "Midnight Rider" with REM at the end of the show! I get giddy just thinking back on it.

Wow Allanah - that sounds very cool!

As for VH, I don't believe Wolfie should be playing on stage with the band. It should be Mike Anthony or no one. They're inducting the band that made this accomplishment, not Eddie's ego & familial ties. :der:

And thanks for the info Partyslammer

It was! I'm the most boring person I know, so that officially ranks as one of the coolest things I've ever witnessed. REM was fabulous, as was Gregg Allman. And tickets were available to the general public, so it's not like I had to "know somebody" or pull some strings to get in. All you needed was 75 bucks and a nice outfit. :wink: 'Twas a great night.

^^ all still a rumor at this point , keep in mind ....

Curiously, the first time I heard about REM being inducted I thought that Bono would make the speech.
Bono and Michael Stipe are very close friends after all.
I know it's just a rumour at this point but it seems very much possible to me.

OK guys clearly it won't be Bono...Beyonce will be inducting REM, and joining them onstage for "Shiny Happy People". Bank on it :)

I can't see Bono not being there especially for R.E.M, his pal Springsteen and his idol Patti Smith.

Now does this mean Bono will be in Manhattan until then? :hmm: :flirt:

Does anyone know how to get tickets to such an event? :wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom