Bono: "This is our first album..."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bw in dc

The Fly
In the DVD for HTDAATB, Bono says "This is our first album. And "Vertigo" is our first single from our first album..."

I thought he was being flip at first. But there seems to be a real message there after I watched it again. And I'm not sure what it is.

Anybody have any ideas what Bono meant?

I have this good friend who has a heart of gold. He is one of the most generous and loving people you will ever meet. When you first meet him you will think that he is the wisest man on the planet cause every word that comes out of his mouth seems profound, but the more that you get to know him you see that he just talks too much and its all regurgitate crap.

He reminds me of Bono. You love him, hes great, but hes a lot better if you are both piss drunk.

He also says that on the U2 Go Home dvd. He said in an interview in NY a few weeks ago that when his missing notebooks (lost in the 80's) were recovered, that he read some of the things in it that he wrote.

One of those things was "things to say to an audience" and underneath it he had "we are U2, this is our new single from our first album and we hope you like it" or something to that effect. In the interview he laughed and thought how stupid he was.

I think he's just regurgitating it to be funny :wink:

Could be masking what we regard as greatness with modesty, but could be revealing what we regard as potential with a hint of even greater things to come. Hope it's the latter...

My guess is that there's two reasons:

1. Forget everything you know about U2. Treat HTDAAB based on its own merits, regardless if liked U2 before or couldn't stand them.

2. The industry is ageist and a comment like that reinforces that they still have the thrist to keep making music that could keep up with anyone.

i'm pretty sure i heard bono explain that quote... can't remember where exactly. anyway, he said that this was their first album, meaning they've finally succeeded in getting the melodies that they heard in their heads into a tangible form. i took it to mean that he thinks they've finally perfected their craft after 25 years of practicing.

dandy said:
i'm pretty sure i heard bono explain that quote... can't remember where exactly. anyway, he said that this was their first album, meaning they've finally succeeded in getting the melodies that they heard in their heads into a tangible form. i took it to mean that he thinks they've finally perfected their craft after 25 years of practicing.

I haven't experienced the dvd part yet, but given this comment I'd say they'd had some fantastic melodies in their heads! It must have felt pretty good to put them in tangible form and I'm loving the listening-end tang-ing of them so far!

I was rather excited when I heard him say that, actually. I don't see it as him "dissing" their earlier work, I'm just hoping that as sixten said, greater things are to come. On a recent radio program, Edge said something similiar when a viewer asked if he'd ever write a memoir or something. He said, "Maybe when I'm 80... as for now, there's just too much to be done."

I don't know, but I'm personally excited about this attitude coming from the band. LOL!

bw in dc said:
In the DVD for HTDAATB, Bono says "This is our first album. And "Vertigo" is our first single from our first album..."

I thought he was being flip at first. But there seems to be a real message there after I watched it again. And I'm not sure what it is.

Anybody have any ideas what Bono meant?

Yes,... well actualy he didn't finish what he was saying (or editors cut out the rest), the full quote should be: "This is our first album since 1997. And Vertigo is our first single since Staring At The Sun that reached Bilboard charts". (and many others as well).

:wink:

Actually, Bono was being literal. You see, his memory has been detiorating slowly since 1998. He's forgotten many things, such as 'The 90s', which explains why U2's 2 most recent albums seem to exist in a vacuum, outside of the influence of Achtung Baby, Zooropa, and Pop. It also explains why he didn't sing any songs from Pop during the recent tour. Bono has also forgotten the names of his children.

So when Bono says this is their first single and first album, he really means it. I feel sorry for the guy, but let's try and enjoy the last few years we have left before he forgets the cities he's performing in.

"Hello, Los Angeles!"

Edge: "Uh...Bono, we're in Dublin."

-Miggy D

Bono said some time ago that while recording HTDAAB they all FELT the same way as while recording their first album.
Moreover, they wanted to come back to the roots somehow....

"Im alive, im being born, i just arrived, im at the door, at THE PLACE I STARTED OUT FROM AND I WANT BACK INSIDE"

Interesting interpretation of Bono's lyrics, Miggy D, and on one level you may be correct.

But if those lyrics are referring at all to procreation, I think Bono is trying to state that he wishes to go back to a more innocent time in his life - a time of innocence and hope, a time before all his hopeful illusions of the music industry and of the world were shattered by reality. :|

If Bono is at all referring to procreation, it is probably more along the lines of going as far back as he can get to that innocent state. And what is more innocent than a fetus in a mother's womb?

Thanks, though, for the chance for me to give my two cents on the meaning of those lyrics from ABOY.:up:

I think to be fair to Bono, we should look at isolated snippets of lyrics in context of the entire song.

GRACE FINDS BEAUTY IN EVERYTHING....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Miggy D said:
Actually, Bono was being literal. You see, his memory has been detiorating slowly since 1998. He's forgotten many things, such as 'The 90s', which explains why U2's 2 most recent albums seem to exist in a vacuum, outside of the influence of Achtung Baby, Zooropa, and Pop. It also explains why he didn't sing any songs from Pop during the recent tour. Bono has also forgotten the names of his children.
:lmao:

I could have sworn the band played Gone, Discotheque, Staring at the sun, Please, and parts of Wake up dead man on the last tour.

He - or the band - definitely didn't forget the 90's. They played Stay and 5 songs from AB as well. (where you got that about him forgetting the names of his kids I'll never know...)

Influences from the 90's or not - and there are, on both of the last albums - I'm sure the band is equally proud of all of their work.

As for ABOY, try either one of his parents or God. NOT vagina.

Last edited:
KhanadaRhodes said:
U2girl, i think it was a joke about him forgetting all that.

Indeed. I was just trying to make y'all laugh. :) I took something that was only semi-true (they haven't forgotten the 90s, but they definitely have placed more emphasis on their 80s catalogue...and honestly, they play maybe 1.5 songs from Pop) and made it extreme for hilarity's sake.

And the 'forgot the names of his children' was also thrown in simply for laughs. I don't really think he's forgotten the names of his kids. :wink:

Annnd the post about the vagina - I was being semi-literal. In actuality, I did interpret it as one of two things:

1.) Wanting to go back to a more innocent time, like his childhood, or....'fetushood'

2.) From the Christian perspective - wanting to 'go back to God', where we all start out from, and finally end up.

But if you take the 'where I started out from' line just plane literally...well...vagina!

-Miggy D

P.S. - It is kind of cool, however, how the post got some of you to write 'vagina' in your responses. That has got to be a first for some Interferencers!

Last edited:
Dalton said:
I have this good friend who has a heart of gold. He is one of the most generous and loving people you will ever meet. When you first meet him you will think that he is the wisest man on the planet cause every word that comes out of his mouth seems profound, but the more that you get to know him you see that he just talks too much and its all regurgitate crap.

He reminds me of Bono. You love him, hes great, but hes a lot better if you are both piss drunk.
:drunk: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think half the things Bono says in interviews, is said to embarrass the media for taking every word he speaks as gospel.

bw in dc said:

It's funny, he's been claiming this as early as '83 referring to the War album.

Back
Top Bottom