Bono-This Day Is History... January 19, 1994

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lila64

Blue Crack Distributor
Bono inducted Bob Marely into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame.

87260700323.jpg

His Speech:

January 19, 1994
Bono Inducts Bob Marley into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
Here's the poem/speech Bono wrote and read when he was asked to induct the late Bob Marley into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on January 19, 1994.

I know claiming Bob Marley is Irish might be a little difficult here tonight, but bear with me. Jamaica and Ireland have a lot in common: Naomi Campbell, Chris Blackwell, Guinness, a fondness for little greenleaves - the weed. Religion. The philosophy of procrastination - don't put off til tomorrow what you can put off til the day after. Unless, of course, it's freedom. We are both islands; we were both colonies. We share a common yoke: the struggle for identity, the struggle for independence, the vulnerable and uncertain future that's left behind when the jackboot of empire is finally retreated.

The roots, the getting up, the standing up, and the hard bit: the staying up. In such a struggle, the voice of Bob Marley was the voice of reason. These were love songs that you could admit listening to; songs of hurt, hard but healing, tough going; songs of Freedom, where that word meant something again; Redemption songs. A sexy revolution where Jah is Jehovah on street level. Not over his people but with his people. Not just stylin', jammin'. Down the line of Judah, from Ethiopia, where it all began for the Rastaman.

I spent some time in Ethiopia with my wife, Ali, and everywhere we went we saw Bob Marley's face. There he was, dressed to hustle God. Let my people go. An ancient plea. Prayers catching fire in Mozambique, Nigeria, the Lebanon, Alabama, Detroit, New York, Notting Hill, Belfast. Dr. King in dreads. A Third and a First World superstar. Mental slavery ends where imagination begins. Here was this new music, rocking out of the shantytowns, lolling, loping rhythms, telling it like it was, like it is, like it ever shall be. Skanking. Ska. Blue Beat. Rock Steady. Reggae. Dub. And now ragga. And all of this from a man who drove three BMWs. BMW - Bob Marley and the Wailers, that was his excuse!

Rock & Roll loves its juvenilia, its caricatures, its cartoons. The protest singer, the pop star, the sex god, your mature messiah types [laughs]. We love the extremes, and we're expected to choose: the mud of the blues or the oxygen of gospel, the hellhounds on our trail or the band of angels.

Well, Bob Marley didn't choose or walk down the middle. He raced to the edges, embracing all extremes, creating a oneness. His oneness. One love. He wanted everything at the same time. Prophet. Soul rebel. Rastaman. Herbsman. Wildman. A natural, mystic man. Lady's man. Island man. Family man. Rita's man. Soccer man. Showman. Shaman. Human. Jamaican!

So the spirit of Bob and the spirit of Jah lives on, in his son Ziggy and his lover Rita Marley. I'm proud to welcome Bob Marley into the Hall of Fame. Amen!

:bow:

Bono's speeches are pretty kick-ass. I love his Sinatra one. :love:

Good call, Lila!

The radio station here in LA (KLOS 95.5) has a noon hour show, and they spotlight things in history of that particular day. I heard her mention part of the speech, and googled furiously to find the content of the speech (not easy!)

Could you be loved and be loved?
bunny2.gif

I second that!!! Three cheers for Lila- great post

Bob Marley is a legend and what an honor to have Bono induct him into the RR hall of fame
:cute:

That is a legendary speech among many legendary speeches the B-man have delivered. I also love the Harvard speech he gave to the graduating class a few years back. The man has a way with words! He can take an entire audience of completely different individuals from all walks of life and basically keep them enthralled, captivated by his conversation.

Back
Top Bottom