Bono: The Songwriter (Album)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Soar

War Child
Reading the news today about Bono co-writing a song for the upcoming Neville Brothers album got me thinking if there was enough material for a CD written by Bono for other artists?

1. You Made Me A Thief Of Your Heart ? co-written for Sinead O?Conner
2. The Father And His Wife The Spirit (2:27) - co-written for Sinead O?Conner
3. Goldeneye ? written for Tina Turner
4. Time Enough For Tears ? written for Andrea Corr
5. Conversation On Bar Stool ? written for Marianne Faithfull
6. Love Is Blindness ? written for Nina Simone ? recorded by Cassandra Wilson
7. Two Shots Of Happy One Shot Of Sad ? written for Frank Sinatra ? recorded by Matt Dusk (2004) (4:29) or George Bugatti (2003) (5:03)
8. Slow Dancing ? written for Willie Nelson
9. Blue ? co-written for Zucchero
10. She?s A Mystery To Me ? written for Roy Orbison
11. When Love Comes To Town (4:40) ? written for BB King ? Live At The Apollo (1990)
12. Kingdom Come ? co-written for The Neville Brothers
13. Jah Love - co-written for The Neville Brothers
14. The Wanderer ? written for Johnny Cash? Regardless a Divine match for him
15. Miserere (4:12) ? co-written for Pavaroitti & Zucchero

All songs recorded by the artists that the songs were written for unless otherwise noted.

I doubt whether U2 or Bono or a record company would put out such a CD. But you never know. And there?s nothing stopping us from putting together one. As U2 fans we may enjoy such a compilation. A nice change of pace. Also it could something that maybe our parents or friends (who may not be ?into? rock music) would enjoy. A wide variety of styles of music and quite a selection of singers!

I do not know if Bob Dylan has ever done a Live version of Love Rescue Me? If he has and it was recorded then I would add that one too. Since my memory of the story is that Bono began writing a song for Dylan in L.A. and the next day Dylan called him and asked him if he?d be interested in writing a song together!

What is your favourite song which Bono has written for another artist?

Actually, The Wanderer was written with Johnny Cash IN MIND, but I believe the original intent was to have Bono sing it. Once Cash paid a visit to Dublin, however, Bono got him to sing on the track.

Eno and Flood hated the idea of having Cash on the record and actually wanted Bono to sing it himself, and there's a rumor (although I think it's false) that there is a Bono version of the song on the net somewhere. Doubtful, but possible, as I'm sure the Zooropa sessions had him singing it.

My favorites:

1) Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad (Bono really encapsulated Sinatra's style and life philosophy in that one)

2) The Wanderer (an amazing collaboration with Johnny Cash)

3) She's a Mystery to Me (a true Orbison-inspired song which always sends a special tingle up my spine when I hear it)

4) but my FAVORITE collaboration is MISERERE.

Every time I hear Bono sing that song I can FEEL in my heart that he is revealing a big piece of his Heart and Soul to the world. Miserere moves me literally to tears whenever I hear the B-man sing it. I'm so thankful that he wrote that song with Zucchero/ Pavarotti. :angel:

Thanks, U2Soar, for this thread - nice idea. :bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

FelipeVox said:
Wasn?t MISERERE sung by Andrea Bocelli and another guy?

I can't remember it.
Maybe Bocelli performed it, anyway.

Blue -- written for Zucchero, is a very tender song.
But my favourite is Slow dancing! I love it!:heart:

And if you loved the movies "In the name of the father" and "In America" by Jim Sheridan, it's impossible not to love "Thief of your heart" and "Time enough for tears".

Back
Top Bottom