Bono still at it...more Jubilee 2000 news

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulawesigirl4

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Complete article can be found at http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/newsid_1750000/1750274.stm

U2 frontman Bono is set to lobby African heads of state to use debt relief to fight Aids and poverty. A statement issued by the charity Oxfam on Tuesday said the singer would attend the Southern African Development Community summit in Blantyre, Malawi next week.

It added that Bono would meet with all the 14 regional leaders attending the summit, called to discuss the war in the Democratic Republic of Congo and the political crisis in Zimbabwe.

Bono is well-known for campaigning against world debt for the world's poorest countries and for the improvement of trade relations between Africa and the rest of the world.

In 2000, he delivered a petition containing 21.2 million signatures to the UN Millennium Summit, asking them to cancel Third World debt, as part of the Jubilee 2000 Drop the Debt campaign.

He also made a public appeal to the US Government and visited the head of the World Bank in Prague.

On his visit to Blantyre, the singer will be accompanied by Harvard University economist Jeffrey Sachs.

Their meetings with the 14 heads of state are scheduled for Monday.

The countries represented by the ministers include Angola, Botswana, Democratic Republic of Congo, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique and Zimbabwe.

The next day, Bono and Mr Sachs will visit Lilongwe, Malawi's administrative capital.

smile.gif

-sula

i wish i had a fraction of the engery bono does!

i love bono for doing what he does, but isn't it sad that a rock star is doing what more world leaders should be?

------------------
)|( Vande )|(

"Rock 'n' roll is a term that's been heavily abused. It's not
something you can buy in a record shop. It's an attitude." -Adam

"And I wear grey underwear." -Bono

Everyday can be a beautiful day. Don't let it get away.

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

It?s cold outside, but brightly lit...

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLL
BBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOONNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Keep up the hard work. Thank you for the energy you put into this process.
We fight for Reparations, too.

Back
Top Bottom