bono spray painting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono=genius

The Fly
i know this might sound stupid..but i really don't know so i have to ask....
i know there's a story about bono spray paintin something and gettin in trouble for it or somethin....is it the part that they show in rattle and hum dvd..and come someone tell me the whole story?

hey bono=genius,

You're right, it's what you see in R&H.

It happened in November of 1987 here in San Francisco. On a week day U2 did a surprise free show at Justin Herman Plaza (downtown SF) and Bono spray painted "rock n roll stops the traffic" on the Vaillencourt Fountain (located one one end of the Plaza). This is shown in Rattle & Hum taking place during All Along the Watchtower which they opened with but, in reality, it happened toward the end of the show.

Some people got pissed, Mayor Feinstein got involved and they were going to charge him with vandalism or something but I heard that U2 made a big donation to some local groups, Bono apologized and they ended up dropping the charges. At the subsequent shows in Oakland, U2 brought out the artist who created the fountain and ended up spray painting their own JT backdrop.

As this is not the most beautiful fountain, a lot of people thought this was an improvement but, alas, they removed the paint and the fountain still stands (although because of budget issues it hasn't had water in it for years).

Also, this was pre-1989 earthquake so the plaza was adjacent to a freeway (during the concert, cars were stopped and people were watching). After the earthquake damaged the freeway it was torn down so the area looks different than it did in R&H (a big improvement as there's a gorgeous view of the bay which is just across the street from the plaza).

Anyway, there's a long explanation from someone lucky enough to have been there (thanks to my cutting a philosophy class).

ps. I work a few blocks from there now and one day as I was walking to my office I saw that someone had written 'Rock N Roll Stops the Traffic Bono 1987' in the cement across the street from my building. It looks old so I think a fan did it after the free show! Always makes me happy to see this!

bratty_cat said:

Also, this was pre-1989 earthquake so the plaza was adjacent to a freeway (during the concert, cars were stopped and people were watching). After the earthquake damaged the freeway it was torn down so the area looks different than it did in R&H (a big improvement as there's a gorgeous view of the bay which is just across the street from the plaza). !

Oh wow! I had no idea the show really was "stopping the traffic". Great story thanks. :cute: I heard he was actually painting during Pride, is that right?

Neutral - I think you might be right but I'm having a hard time remembering right now! I was in the 2nd or 3rd 'row' from the stage and couldn't see what he was doing at the fountain. I saw the graffiti after the show ended.

I have a video boot of this show and Bono does indeed do the spray-painting during "Pride" - the last song of the mini-concert. The free show was dubbed "Save the Yuppies" due to a stock plunge that week. ;)

Although I never saw the entire fountain, from what was showed in the video, it was very ugly. Given U2's status now as arguably the world's biggest rock band, I think San Francisco made a mistake in removing Bono's graffiti - it could have made the fountain more famous!

bratty_cat said:
hey bono=genius,

You're right, it's what you see in R&H.

It happened in November of 1987 here in San Francisco. On a week day U2 did a surprise free show at Justin Herman Plaza (downtown SF) and Bono spray painted "rock n roll stops the traffic" on the Vaillencourt Fountain (located one one end of the Plaza). This is shown in Rattle & Hum taking place during All Along the Watchtower which they opened with but, in reality, it happened toward the end of the show.

Some people got pissed, Mayor Feinstein got involved and they were going to charge him with vandalism or something but I heard that U2 made a big donation to some local groups, Bono apologized and they ended up dropping the charges. At the subsequent shows in Oakland, U2 brought out the artist who created the fountain and ended up spray painting their own JT backdrop.

As this is not the most beautiful fountain, a lot of people thought this was an improvement but, alas, they removed the paint and the fountain still stands (although because of budget issues it hasn't had water in it for years).

Also, this was pre-1989 earthquake so the plaza was adjacent to a freeway (during the concert, cars were stopped and people were watching). After the earthquake damaged the freeway it was torn down so the area looks different than it did in R&H (a big improvement as there's a gorgeous view of the bay which is just across the street from the plaza).

Anyway, there's a long explanation from someone lucky enough to have been there (thanks to my cutting a philosophy class).

ps. I work a few blocks from there now and one day as I was walking to my office I saw that someone had written 'Rock N Roll Stops the Traffic Bono 1987' in the cement across the street from my building. It looks old so I think a fan did it after the free show! Always makes me happy to see this!

thanks so much for ur explanation, helps me understand it all! ya in rattle and hum they do show it during All along the watchtower. and u are so lucky to have been part of that concert! thanks again.

best is when Bono flipped out on some fan for having a sign that read "SF & U2" or something like that.

I think it read SF *heart* U2 and he thought it referred to Sinn Fein. Guess he forgot he was in SF!

I have a crappy video outtake of this show but the quality is really horrible and it's from a camera that was way in the back so not alot is visible. Maybe one day they'll officially release the R&H outtakes or just the free show. That would be soooo cool!

Back
Top Bottom