Bono speaks out on Tibet crisis...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCOSTER

ONE love, blood, life
U2 rocker Bono hopes for 'peaceful' torch relay
4 hours ago

SAN FRANCISCO (AFP) — Irish rock star Bono said here Tuesday he hoped the San Francisco leg of the Olympic torch relay would be trouble-free as he attended a pro-Tibet rally.

The U2 frontman told AFP on the sidelines of the event at United Nations Plaza that he hoped the furore surrounding the torch on its global relay would force China to address global concern over its actions in Tibet.

"I would like a peaceful outcome, for the torch tomorrow and in Tibet," Bono told an AFP reporter, comparing the debate over China's actions in Tibet to the issue of torture in the US government's "war on terror."

"I hope China takes this opportunity to address the issues," Bono said. "It's like waterboarding in the US; it's important to address the issues."

Around 800 people attended the peaceful rally in downtown San Francisco where a "Freedom Torch" was lit before activists flanked by around 20 police on each side began a march to the Chinese consulate.

San Francisco is preparing a heavy security presence in the city for the US leg of the troubled torch relay, which was severely disrupted by protesters in Paris on Monday.

JCOSTER said:

"I would like a peaceful outcome, for the torch tomorrow and in Tibet," Bono told an AFP reporter, comparing the debate over China's actions in Tibet to the issue of torture in the US government's "war on terror."

oh, snap :ohmy:

I just saw that on the news here in Texas. But in looking at it closely, I don't think it was Bono. Didn't sound like him, and the guy had all the "props" to try and pass himself off as Bono. Rosary, glasses, etc..

I seriously think it was a look-alike.

Good to know that "Bono" is still keeping up with current events. He really gets around. Hopefully he will be attending the Senate hearings on Iraq and offer his opinion on that as well. Maybe even get a free meal.

unico said:
the waterboarding comment is what gave it away for me. it's such a hot issue and with so many friends all over the political spectrum, i'd doubt he'd bring it up.

I have to say I thought it kinda strange that he actually said waterboarding. :huh:

and this from yahoo news:
An earlier report that Irish rock star Bono attended one of the protests and spoke to AFP was wrong, as the singer was not in the city, a spokesman said.

Last edited:
^ Reported elsewhere in addition to FoxNews...this guy really has nerve....Bono must know about him...but giving quotes to reporters like he's Bono...that's just going too far.

Coincides with the sighting at Logan airport of a Bono look-a-like a few days ago boarding a plane...obviously it must have been to the west coast.

Umm..Shouldn't the news stations have like..fact checked? There are a lot of people - not just evil impersonators - who look and dress similar to Bono. :eyebrow:

This guy is just the lowest. I just feel so bad for all the poor people that actually think they're meeting Bono. It's a dream for so many folks. To trick them like that is so...:madspit:

Impersonating for entertainment is one thing, but dressing like Bono all the time and allowing people to believe that he is the real Bono is different. What if he poses as Bono and makes some really loony statement to a reporter that gets linked to the real Bono? Someone should sue this guy before he goes too far. Actually, he already has gone too far: when he deceived a bunch of war veterans at a hospital into thinking that the real Bono was visiting them. :tsk:

Back
Top Bottom