Bono, SNL, and sexual harassment...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you look at the photo, her hands are all over, ohh la la

this thread is ridiculous.
now if he had jumped off stage at the clinton library performance earlier ths week and grinded down on one of the honored guests, we'd have something to be shocked at.
but the SNL thing was awesome..
bono is a performer and he goes over the top all the time. it's theatrical. it's not real.
i doubt he's in the doghouse with anyone.
certainly not the woman who had her arms wrapped around him when he sat on her lap and an orgasmic expression of shock and awe on her face when he got off her.

Last edited:
shock and awe we want to hear about: bono lapdancing unsuspecting female fans!

watch the video again, she was loving every second of it.

and i can't say that i blame her!

Miggy D said:
I was actually kind of shocked by Bono's antics. I mean I don't consider that to be part of Bono's 'theatrics canon' if you will. He dances with girls, kisses/faux bites their hands, lies on the floor with them...but I dunno about this one. I know Bono didn't mean anything by it, but it can't be excused if the girl felt awkward about it or didn't want it. It can't be excused simply because 'he's Bono' or 'because it's on national television.' I mean, his crotch was right in her face. It definitely seemed much lewder than what Bono's done in the past, which is what threw me off when I saw it. It was surreal, really. I just sat there with my jaw dropped thinking, "Bono, what on earth are you doing, man?"

And bathiu - you don't know what you're talking about. Yes, America may have a less liberal view of sex, but this is completely different. There is a big contrast between showing a consensual act of sex in a movie and a real life unwanted sexual advance.

We all know Bono didn't mean anything by it, and I'm sure he just got 'caught up in the moment,' but again, if the girl was upset by it, she could very well press charges, and win. It is not right for us to judge her, or say 'she should have felt fine about it.' In my opinion, if a person feels uncomfortable about something like that, whether the perpetrator is a celebrity or not, their feelings should be respected and dealt with. Hopefully nothing will come of the episode.

-Miggy

I agree with you. I think he went too far on that one, and I woudn't be surprised he regretted it afterwards. The girl probably thought it was cool at first, but she didn't look that happy went it became more sexual. Now, I wouldn't call it sexual harrasment, and I think it would be stupid for her to press charges. I don't think she will anyways, but she looked a bit shocked.

Me and my boyfriend were kind of shocked too, and we agreed he went a bit too far. But hey, that's Bono, and it's not the first time (nor the last) that he crosses a line when performing. I'm not sure it made such a good impression on the general public, however.

I just read in band meetings and sightings that a lady met Adam, Bono AND Ali after the show, so apparently Ali WAS there, saw it all and didn't mind a bit. After all, she's the one who gets to take him home to bed, let others have a few seconds of thrill, huh?;)

doctorwho said:
Sexual harrassment comes if the person said "no" and was disregarded. For example, if someone touched me or made a sexual comment or advance, and continued to do it even after I asked that person to stop, it would be harrassment.

In a one time event - like what Bono did - is a lot tougher to prove that there was actual harrassment. If a person can sue over a one time event, no one would ever hook up! LOL! :lol: We'd all be too afraid to approach someone for fear of a lawsuit. After all, one should be able to initiate "something" to see if there is any interest. It's repeated advances that cause the harrassment.

Compare to the analogy of a fly/bee buzzing around your head. The first time, you might shoo it away - no big deal. However, if it keeps buzzing, it's harrassing you.

Going back to Bono, I highly doubt he was "looking for something" but rather caught up in the moment of the song. He "entered her personal environmental space" but didn't make a suggestion or sexual advance (it's tough to prove "dry humping"). Furthermore, after that encounter, he moved on - it wasn't repeated.

As such, I can't see a harrassment lawsuit having any credibility.

Lastly, if arguably one of the most famous men, one of the most powerful men, and one of the biggest rock stars of the world does a mini-flirt with you, I think you'd be insane to sue, even if you aren't a fan. Would you sue Elvis or John Lennon if they had done something similar when they were alive? The hoardes of U2 fans would go after this woman with a vengeance if she sued. :mad: She'd gain so much negative publicity that even if she won, she'd be hated worldwide. She'd be viewed as a swindler trying to get some $$ from a wealthy person. And some things aren't worth money. :no:

Not sure that's the legal definition.... From an assault (sexual) approach, all you need is touching (in no particular place) in a manner that could reasonably considered objectionable without permission.

I hope he does something very nice for her afterwards to build favor.

hes a rock star, this is a brilliant as it gets. This is the Bono I love, sexual harrasment pleasseee...

Y'all need to watch the video again. She LOVED it. She was rubbing her face into his chest and grinning like a maniac!

She put her arms around his back and pulled him in and then rubbed her face in his chest, I hope everyone who has watched it a second time realizes that.

Homerpalooza said:
I don't think it was only myself who noticed that the woman Bono gave his little lap dance to didn't look particularly thrilled. That was a risky thing for him to do. Think about it: This woman has a clear-cut sexual harassment case there if she wanted to persue it. The evidence was broadcast live throughout the entire east coast; a man sat in her lap uninvited and thrust himself at her, and...perhaps her family saw it, or some coworkers, leaving her completely humiliated in their eyes and therefore causing "emotional damages" in her life. I see no reason why a judge would dismiss her case if she raised one.

Now don't get me wrong, I thought what Bono did was totally awesome and had me cheering (I mean, it's what Bono does), but in hindsight I really hope that woman has a sense of humor. She wasn't a screaming PLEBA member at a U2 concert who would kill for Bono to even look at herself, after all.

I am sure everything is fine, I think she was just shocked, wouldn't you be?

For what it's worth, that performance of I Will Follow was THE BEST SNL performance I've ver seen, and the whole jumping into the woman's lap thing just put it over the top. It's just a show, and a damn awsome one at that. You can definitely tell that that lady didn't mind one bit. Damn, what a performance though.

bathiu said:
wow... U.S. is real a :censored: place if this kind of topic is created... please tell me, you have blood, drugs, violence, realy crazy reality shows... but if you show a "part of your body" or move like Bono did... there is this kind of issue in seconds, why?

Everyone sick of it, move to Europe;)

I was thinking the same thing myself, it is sad really.

I'm glad to see public face humping getting the respect it deserves as an acceptable form of flirtation. I can't wait to visit Europe next summer:wink:

She sure looked to me like she enjoyed it. Her hands were on his ass pulling him closer!

caragriff said:
this thread is ridiculous.
now if he had jumped off stage at the clinton library performance earlier ths week and grinded down on one of the honored guests, we'd have something to be shocked at.

Now, that would be something worth talking about! Haha, imagine if he did that to ol' Barbara Bush....:D

Bono's a big flirt, that's hardly news by now. The woman was in a state of shock--can you blame her for being in shock after the world's sexiest man just jumped into your lap? The video clearly shows her getting into the spirit of it and reaching around to hold on to his backside. Bono has such a huge amount of respect and warmth towards women, and he can charm them in a flash (do I need to mention the amount of women in tears over Bono's peformance?).

Bono can 'harass' me anytime.

I'm shocked by a lot of things in this world. People dying unnesacarrily for want of things you and I take for granted....to me that's shocking. But if someone displays a flirtatious amount of sexuality it seems as if the brute squad is organized in seconds. :shrug:

When I was watching this performance last night, I thought the woman actually pulled Bono towards her to start the whole lap dance. I was a bit shocked when I read this thread. I guess I'll have to rewatch it again after I download a copy.

The woman seemed disheveled after the act, kinda like after a quicky in the restroom. I don't think she was upset at all. Also, er friends (or the other girls around her) seemed jealous of her.

:laugh:
So now it's looking more and more like Bono is the one that should be considering a lawsuit! She pulled him, she had her hands on him.

Poor girl had to endure 90 minutes of horrible sketches, I bet the face humping was welcome! It sure appeared that way.

You know, I was actually thinking about this last night. But if you guys say the gal enjoyed it, then she enjoyed it, more power to her. But I can honestly say I wouldn't want anyone to do that to me.
Maybe I'm just wierd, I dunno.:shrug:
But I don't THINK B is bad for doing it, he just got a little carried away.

Last edited:
xovonob now! said:

Not sure that's the legal definition.... From an assault (sexual) approach, all you need is touching (in no particular place) in a manner that could reasonably considered objectionable without permission.

I hope he does something very nice for her afterwards to build favor.

The thread is entitled "harrassment" not "assault". Your definition may be valid for "assault".

It would probably be considered sexual battery, not sexual harrasement...not that it matters because it looked like she was participating and enjoying herself. If it bothered her (or someone convinces her that it did), I'm sure she'll handle it the American way and sue him for millions of dollars :rolleyes:

Its pretty pathetic that we can show blood and guts and Dennis Franz' bare ass on prime time TV in the US but Bono doing a little lap dance on late night TV causes a big stink.

Back
Top Bottom