Bono Slates 'Unimaginative' Rock Bands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nick Cave, Mogwai, Portishead, yup, good stuff.
Where is the Rapture you taking about from? Because I think there is more than one Rapture.

Last edited:
I'm gonna jump on the WTF bandwagon with regards to J's comments.

The Clash varied sound even within a single album extensively. Listen to London Calling, all of it and they go through pretty much a different sound with every song. There's a common reggae-punk feel to a nuber of songs but the ration of reggae to punk varies to any number of degees. Also with the exception of their cover of "I Fought the Law" and "Rock the Casbah", pretty much every popular Clash song (aka anything you'll find easily on Kazaa) comes from London Calling.

As someone else put it I don't think you'll find too many people saying the Ramones suck.

As to Radiohead... Let me see, change sound with every album, one of the best live shows in the business (I've been, they are frickin' amazing), critically acclaimed, never been partof the regual pop rotation or even regula rock rotation as their music is often too experimental for most rock radio. As "one-trick ponies" I suppose you are referring to OK Computer, well they have three studio albums since then, a very good live EP and have toured like hell. They have been insanely successful. Songs from OK Computer and the Bends only make up a fraction of their set lists.

As to Hip Hop, it depends what type of Hip Hop Bono's taling about. Mainstream stuf is insanely formulaic, almost more so than Bublegum Pop. Undreground stuff is worlds different. It is highly innovative, often political or socially driven. Its'teh difference between say Creed and any quality indie rock band doin' their own thing for no money

Last edited:
Ok, so many of you disagree with my one-trick pony comments about other bands. That's just like me disagreeing with Bono's statements about hip-hop being the only innovative thing and about rock music needing to be imaginative (to me U2 aren't imaginative either but they still get the job done). For me, I don't give a damn about Bono's musical preference just like I wouldn't give a damn about Adam's sexual preference or Larry's breakfast preference or Edge's hair-grower preference. What matters is that U2 continues to make kick-*ss music, and that is enough to be the thread that binds us all.

Cheers,

J

But Jick, don't just say something and then not back yourself up. Don't say such radical things if you're only trying to stir people up. Come on, where's your spine?

jick said:
That's just like me disagreeing with Bono's statements about hip-hop being the only innovative thing and about rock music needing to be imaginative (to me U2 aren't imaginative either but they still get the job done).

J

HAHAHA U2 aren't imaginative but they get the job done. WTF??:lol:
Lay off the crack homie :lol: :lol:

Bunbury said:

HAHAHA U2 aren't imaginative but they get the job done. WTF??:lol:
Lay off the crack homie :lol: :lol:

Bon Jovi is by far the LEAST imaginative band in the history of pop-rock. Yet they sell records, even at such an old age when most bands their age are already not selling records and touring clubs. It is possible to not be imaginative and get the job done. Other examples - Dave Matthews, John Mayer, etc. Meanwhile, there are also imaginative bands (Velvet Underground) who never sold as much records hence not really getting the job done.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

Bon Jovi is by far the LEAST imaginative band in the history of pop-rock. Yet they sell records, even at such an old age when most bands their age are already not selling records and touring clubs. It is possible to not be imaginative and get the job done. Other examples - Dave Matthews, John Mayer, etc. Meanwhile, there are also imaginative bands (Velvet Underground) who never sold as much records hence not really getting the job done.

Cheers,

J

The point isn't record sales most of the music out there is crap but sells millions of records, not just Bon Jovi.
Getting the job done?? What does that mean? You make no sense :huh: Again, lay off the crizack :wink:

oh yeah, so instead of worrying about the state of radio schlock.. I go to other bands for entertainment, and inspiration. so in the instance of the bands I mentioned, just imagine if U2 really opened their ears to all of these other acts.. but than again, I respect U2's choices in music and I am sure that they have heard of nearly every act I mentioned, but it hasn't been coming through in any of their music since at least POP.

I think U2 were innovative, and maybe not as much as say radiohead but I see innovation as something that brings dynamic solely to your own sound, not to the sound of music history.
so Tom waits has his own sound, but he has exhausted his innovative senses, he has created the same style music for the past 5 albums.
and U2 were doing things dynamically creative from Unforgettable fire, all the way to Pop.. but with ATYCLB there was nothing innovative there.. and it (imo) was F$*$ing boring.

Rapture.. I am talking about the dance noise outfit from New York.

oh and if any of you are interested please scope out my band's website.
www.revelinthemorning.com

you can download 2 songs, but they dont really convey where we are taking the music at the moment. but we are going to a dancey, noisey, rock and rollish, mogwai'ish, post-punk type of music.

Bunbury said:

The point isn't record sales most of the music out there is crap but sells millions of records, not just Bon Jovi.
Getting the job done?? What does that mean? You make no sense :huh: Again, lay off the crizack :wink:

Getting the job done means selling records. Sure you want to say that everything should be in the name of art and no compromises. If you want that then go looking for amateur bands who play in bars. Professional bands like Bon Jovi, U2, and even Radiohead for tha matter are in all this for the profit and the money. Their music is their business, it is their enterprise. They need to sell records to feed their families. It is their livelihood. They won't say to themselves "I'll make a cool song I like, I don't care if others don't like it as long at it is uncompromised". That doesn't make sense because these people are not that selfish. They make music to sell because they need to earn a living and this can only be done by pleasing the most fans. So unimaginative bands like Bon Jovi have still gotten the job done.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

Getting the job done means selling records. Sure you want to say that everything should be in the name of art and no compromises. If you want that then go looking for amateur bands who play in bars. Professional bands like Bon Jovi, U2, and even Radiohead for tha matter are in all this for the profit and the money. Their music is their business, it is their enterprise. They need to sell records to feed their families. It is their livelihood. They won't say to themselves "I'll make a cool song I like, I don't care if others don't like it as long at it is uncompromised". That doesn't make sense because these people are not that selfish. They make music to sell because they need to earn a living and this can only be done by pleasing the most fans. So unimaginative bands like Bon Jovi have still gotten the job done.

Cheers,

J

Well that's your take on this and I understand. I just needed clarification on "getting the job done." Because I wasn't understanding.

Problem with that is that Bon Jovi is a fucking millionaire! He could easily try and do different stuff with his music instead of crappy songs written by the Backstreet Boys songwriter, he's so rich it wouldn't matter. U2 at least has this attitude of trying to do different things with their music...I hardly think Bono has to worry about having enough money to feed his kids..

jick said:
Getting the job done means selling records. Professional bands like Bon Jovi, U2, and even Radiohead for that matter are in all this for the profit and the money.

Why would anyone want to be a fan of a band like this? Jick, why are you a fan of a band that only cares about money?

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Why would anyone want to be a fan of a band like this? Jick, why are you a fan of a band that only cares about money?

Money is not the only thing, but it is the underlying thing.

So you mean a doctor shouldn't be a doctor just because he is in it to feed his family? It's what you call making a living. I am a fan of U2 because I like how they go about their job. Just like how a person may prefer Dr.A over Dr.B.

Cheers,

J

I wouldn't want to go to a doctor who was only in it for the money. I think a doctor's first priority should be the health of his or her patients, not how big the paycheck is.

The same thing is true with music. I don't respect musicians who are only in it for the money. And I don't think U2 are only in it for the money. Look at their track record. They are always changing their sound from album to album rather than releasing the same thing over and over, they refuse to accept corporate sponsorship for their tours and they don't license their songs out to be used in commercials.

jick said:

Money is not the only thing, but it is the underlying thing.

So you mean a doctor shouldn't be a doctor just because he is in it to feed his family? It's what you call making a living. I am a fan of U2 because I like how they go about their job. Just like how a person may prefer Dr.A over Dr.B.

Actually, I know my doctor and many of his family, as I have my entire life, and I know he's a great person. If he was only in it to feed his family, he wouldn't be donating time and supplies to a local clinic or giving hundreds of high school kids required anual sports physicals for $5 instead of the usual $50. Considering what it takes to become a credible doctor, I doubt there are many that are only in it to feed their family and care nothing about what vocation allows them to do so. If you want a doctor that doesn't actually give a shit about your well-being, that's your business.

BUT doctors are not the point.....like Bono's Shades said, I'm not interested in sell out bands. I don't respect greedy sell out bands. I don't have time for anything I don't respect.

to jick: you have got to be jokking. you are great. a great laugh. just brilliant.

to bunbury: i am, again, loving your DM avatar.

to everyone: listen to the exploding hearts.

Back
Top Bottom